• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Call of Cthulhu Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Call of Cthulhu

I've been thinking about this for a while, and finally decided to act upon my idea. I'm still in the preliminary stages, with about 15% of the terrain finished, and decided to throw it out on here to see what people think, so I can get an idea of whether or not I'm wasting time.

CONCEPT: Ten humans, five being "heroes" and five being cultists, chat will use a system similar to Defiance's in order to obscure who is who, but cultists can magically communicate with each other across the map. The cultists must kill all of the "heroes" or reawaken Cthulhu. The "heroes" must kill all of the cultists or prevent them from reawakening Cthulhu.

GAMEPLAY:The first part of gameplay involves reaching one of two druidic circles, and obtaining the Necronomicon. Using the book permanently lowers the reader's maximum sanity but teaches them the words of summoning.

The next part of the game, if the "heroes" get the book, involves keeping it out of the hands of the cultists, if they can do this, the appointed time will pass, and the end of the world will be pushed back a few more years. If the cultists obtain the book, they can use it at the second druidic circle to summon Nyarlathotep or Yog-Sothoth. While you can summon them alone, they do not distinguish between friend or foe, and it's best to have the cult together so they know who not to kill(Nyarlathotep and Yog-Sothoth are player-controlled).

If one of the Outer Gods is summoned, the "heroes" will be forced to hide or die. The only thing that will drive them off is the capture of a sacrifice, or the Elder Sign. Humans can inscribe the Elder Sign onto the ground, and if an Outer God passes over it, He/She/It will be sent back Outside, and will not be able to be summoned for a currently undecided time.

If the book passes into the hands of a Cultist, the "heroes" must get it (back). This can be done several ways. The first is to simply kill whoever has the Necronomicon, which isn't a good idea, because there's no way to be sure who is a cultist and who isn't. A better idea would be to determine a definite cultist, kill them, and take their frock. All cultists have the ability to don a frock, changing their model to the Acolyte model, and displaying to their fellow cultists that they are indeed members. If a "hero" kills a cultist, he gains the ability, and can infiltrate the cult.

Summoning involves typing out the rites, which are long and use inhuman phonetics(F'thagn, Rygzengrho, V'glyzz, and the like). Depending on the caster's typing skills, it could take quite a bit to type it out, during which time he will be essentially helpless, and an infiltrator could easily shoot him. On that note, there will be guns, with a click-to-shoot style of combat. Guns in Call of Cthulhu will be, like in real life, fatal or near fatal with one shot, but if you're running they have a low chance of hitting you.

After a predetermined time(Probably 30 minutes, unless it becomes obvious in testing that 30 is too long or too short) the stars will be right, and the time for reawakening Cthulhu will be at hand. The cultists must gather at the druidic circle, and speak the rites of summoning (V'hu-ehn n'kgnath fha'gnu n'aem'nh. V'glyzz k'fungn cylth-a v'el cylth-Cthulhu k'fungn'i. I'a ry'gzengrho. I'a Cthulhu.) and the game will end, the cultists being victorious. If the appointed time passes(probably in two to five minutes) the "Heroes" will win. The game will also be over if either side is completely killed off.

SANITY: The human characters will start with 100 mana, this does not regenerate. The mana represents their sanity, and will go down in traumatic situations(Attacked by Mythos creatures, reading the Necronomicon, being shot at). As it drops, text and camera effects will show your degrading sanity. If it gets to an extremely low level (Below 25, possibly lower or higher) the character may suffer a breakdown, running in a random direction or even committing suicide. The only way to regenerate sanity is to scribe an Elder Sign and stay near it, its soothing presence will slowly regenerate your sanity.

NYARLATHOTEP: The Messenger of the Outer Gods, He can take the form of a human to get close to them without making them run. In His true form, He moves slowly but renders space-time around him, causing everything nearby to move with agonizing slowness. He also causes massive sanity deterioration in a small area of effect. In any form, He is constantly surrounded by Idiot Pipers, froglike creatures that appear and disappear in a large area around him. This is a good way to tell if he's in your group.

YOG-SOTHOTH: Has two forms, a group of glowing orbs, and a massive, noxious slime creature. He is very fast in his orb form, but can't attack and causes no sanity drain. His slime form is slow, but can attack and does cause sanity drain.

You may have noticed how I always put "Heroes" in quotation marks. If you're unfamiliar with HP Lovecraft, the Mythos is not a place for heroes. If you encounter creatures from Outside, such as ghouls, shoggoths, Outer Gods, and the like, you run for your life and don't look back, or you die. That's the main problem I foresee, this game will not be fun for those who like to go in guns blazing and slaughter everything, which is sadly a large part of BNet's playerbase.

Please tell me what you think, and give suggestions, ideas, or constructive criticism.

Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of some custom skins/models, namely: Idiot Piper, the only description I've found describes them as froglike, I saw a model from a Naruto(ugh) game once of some frog person that would work well.
Nyarlathotep: He's currently a wisp, but I'd rather have something more closely resembling him, such as a flying mass of flesh, eyes, and mouths, or at least a wisp with some tentacle-like effects, I'd do it myself but I have no model/skinning skills whatsoever:ugly:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.