• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on Background of Texture...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello all. I have been working on to figure out how to edit the background of under the texture that shown a sky under it. I have been editing the textures by using GIMP to disappears the ground terrains for me to be able to turn my map into a space, and I am trying to figure out where and what name of a pathing for that background image under those textures shown in the picture below? For me to be able to edit it to turn it into stars to look like the map is in space, you know? Thanks. :)

upload_2020-4-1_2-28-7.png

Level 14
To my knowledge the alpha trick for terrain hasn't been able to be replicated in Reforged. There are a few threads from January and February with people trying it but no success yet.

So, you'd be the first if you figure it out :)

I'm not even sure it's possible; I think they changed how the skybox works in Reforged.

Level 12
Very interesting idea !!!

What you could do is make 100% black tile with a few stars drawn on it.
Then maybe you could create a basic small model looking like a star and create a few around at random x and y positions, and random height too to give the illusion of being in space.

I remember I tried something like that in 2003 to try to draw 3D functions (yes, I know...) by using a "pixel" model with a very tiny size.

Anyways, thats just an idea, and I haven't yet tinkered with Reforged custom tiles. But people in the Texturing & Surfacing section of the forum have worked on it if I remember well.

Anyways, good luck, this is a really interesting idea !

Level 8
I am still figuring out what's the name of pathing for the skybox under the terrain. I want to edit it to turn it into back with some stars. I have disappeared the terrain, but the problem is shown in picture below. I tried to changing the sky effects, and it wouldn't change it. It's only shows under the disappeared terrains. But, outside at top or below of the terrains, it's all black as you can see in the picture shown. I know there's got to be a pathing for this. Because if there's no pathing for this, then this texture that looks like cloud with sky wouldn't have showed on background of texture. But, it showed because there's a pathing for texture with a picture of cloud and sky. Also, I see some trees too... and there's some light from sun too. Looks like trees on one wall of the "sky box," and sky cloudy on other one wall, and blacked out on other one wall. Weird... there's got to be a pathing for that because if there's no pathing, it wouldn't show any textures on background of terrain. But, it showing some textures on background and that's means there's a pathing texture because it has been saved after drawing a picture of trees, sky, cloudy, and blackout, you know.

upload_2020-4-1_15-44-51.png

upload_2020-4-1_15-45-11.png

upload_2020-4-1_15-45-37.png

@Strydhaizer Do you know where would the pathing texture be at for this? I am still searching in the Retera's Model Editor to look for that pathing texture of the terrain's background.

Last edited:
Level 12
Hello again.

You're definitely onto something really interesting. I wish I had more texture knowledge.

I would definitely ask this in the Texturing & Surfacing forum section, other there you'll have more chances to attract the attention of talented people with extensive knowledge about this kind of matter.

I'm just a returning map maker, and even if I try to learn everything again, there are still areas I have not yet had the chance to explore since my return in December 2019.

I hope you will get an answer because this is a really interesting subject !!!

Level 8
That's what I figured out, but I just want the pathing for the sky box that shows under terrain's background...

But, this is as far as I can make it happens...

upload_2020-4-1_16-52-57.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-53-13.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-53-33.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-53-53.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-54-4.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-54-37.png

upload_2020-4-1_16-55-39.png

upload_2020-4-1_17-2-0.png

The problem is that it not showing the cliffs in there. Only showing units. Strange. It's sucks... that's why I need to figure out what's the name of pathing for the sky box that is shown under terrain's background of texture. Not the sky from above. The sky box of terrain's background under it.

but, I still wants to know what's the name of pathing for that sky box under terrain's background. Or, I could try pull that sky ball under the terrain to see how it go, but I will have to figure out how to get the sky ball deep down to be under the terrain... I will keep you all updated.

Last edited:
Level 8
Strange. The sky ball I exported was a sky file. Now I try to test a unit file on a priest, and pulled the priest down under the surface in model editor, and saved it to map, and tested it, and strange... those priests does not show under terrain, but shows outside under the terrain in map.

upload_2020-4-1_17-16-50.png

upload_2020-4-1_17-17-1.png

upload_2020-4-1_17-17-12.png

Level 12
Strange indeed.

Really wish I could be of any more help, but thats definitely beyond my area of expertise.

I don't know who has this expertise, maybe @Dr Super Good would know about this or at least know someone with that kind of knowledge ?

Level 12
I tried to find what you're looking for, but I failed miserably...

I have to commend you for never giving up. I really admire that !!!!

Last edited:
Level 8
@Lord_Marrowgrath Hey, man. Nice work on your map! About the World Editor's "sky box" background texture, I need your help. Do you know anything about this above posts that I was combining about? I am trying to edit the pathing hd.w3mod\environment\environmentmap\lordaeronsummer\day_ibl.dds from GIMP, and imported it with that pathing texture name, and then it went whole black blank shown in picture below. I was testing some textures to find which texture to edit and figuring out how to import it properly. I was trying to make a stars of galaxy on background of texture in "sky box" for my Space Battleships map. How do I fix this? Please help? Thank you. Or, is there a way to reflect the terrain for sky to be stars reflecting to reflected terrains, you know? :)

Original Background Texture
upload_2020-4-4_1-50-15.png

GIMP
upload_2020-4-4_1-51-8.png

Edited Background Texture
upload_2020-4-4_2-3-56.png

upload_2020-4-4_1-54-21.png

Last edited:
Level 13
Okay... I am tired... I don't know what's else to look for... this is as far as I can...

U have many options to do it. First you need a model like ''Star dusts'' or something like that. (Shiny particules, glows etc)

1-) Change your map to outland terrain. There is a option to black mask
2-) Change water color to black and place starts to them.

I removed all clifts and decrease terrain to underwater. And I changed water color to black and remove shore effects. And I created star models on model editor and add many glows. Thats my workline. I hope it will be helpful.

Also I quit from Warcraft 3 reforged. Dont like the new EULA policies. I just help for informations. Not on ingame :(

Level 8
I am confused... now we are talking about the water doodad? I was talking about why I couldn't use the water terrain because of my trigger movement doesn't work with water terrain. Are you saying I go find doodad water, and edit it, and import it to my map, and put it under the terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.