• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Why do these units have different hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I'm playing a map where units can have their health upgraded many times.

Most of the upgrades are arithmetic bonuses (i.e. adding a flat amount, e.g. +50 HP), however a few do it based on percent, e.g. Increases all units max health by 8% of their current maximum health.

I haven't noticed this before, but it appears sometimes a unit actually gets the wrong amount of max health. In particular, this water elemental should have 720 HP, but some of them get a max of 721! Is this a floating number precision error? If so, why would it apply non-deterministically?

s2z1gp.png
11t1vyv.png

The base health of the elemental was 550 HP. I got a total of +120 flat health bonuses = 670, and then a percent bonus of 9% I believe.

Level 3
That is indeed very weird. It might be because of a calculation error, if the assigned hp is xxx,5. If it gains 9% bonus hp, it still doesnt make sense though, given that 550*1,09+120=719.5

Don't know what to tell you man, never seen that before :)

Yeah this can happen, it happens often when dealing with handicaps or % based upgrades. You can fix this by recreating the unit however its just a little visual error, not entirely certain though.

If you give me the map that has this flaw I can research into it and check if it causes more then that visual problem. It was lame of blizzard to use a real for health and to visually show it by a integer. You can check it yourself to see if it is still correct and just visually failed by displaying real(health of unit). Let me know results if you do check it.

Level 26
The units may have gone through different stages of the upgrade and therefore face calculation differences. For example, the first one was already there, got upgrade A with a little imprecision, then got upgrade B which did not revert the previous upgrade but added to the already a little off hp result. The other unit was created after the upgrades have been done, so the upgrades were merged in numbers and applied to the unit together. Just a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.