• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why AoS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Greetings,

Can someone please explain to me why every other uploaded map here on hive is an AoS. What's the deal with making them? No one will play them more than once, if they are extremely well done then maybe twice. An honest explanation would be kind.

Thanks.

Yours,
Chizume

Level 24
Maybe they want to make the next DotA or some shit, i sense lack of creativity.

On the other side, there are many great aos maps:
DotA, AoM, DoE, AotZ, Rise of Winterchill (my fav), Samurai Legends and that Twilight Shit.
The other ones are pretty generic aos maps, not very noteworthy when it comes to gameplay.

Making an AoS better than DotA is achievable; making one more popular is not.

Why people play dota? It's because of the heroes mostly, the big selection of those good quality heroes. You have a point. But to achieve something better is rather hard or lets say in other words unachievable. Dota has 101 heroes. Making 6 spells for 101 heroes is really complicated. 6x101=606 spells. Not all are hard to make but it would take much time and most people would give up on that. The next thing to do is to balance those spells to make all heroes equal and that's what makes dota also the nice selection of items. So it is achievable but isn't achievable because no one will get the chance to achieve it, not to talk about making it popular. That's a fact and take the fact that WCIII is fading and no one wants to take that challenge and try to make something better then dota because it would be a waste of time. "Achievable but not achievable".

it has an addictive rpg element, you level up, grow and enhance your character with better weapons and learn more skills and do more fancy moves.
its repetitive and allows people to learn the basics easily. eg. how and when the creep spawns or how to win
its can also be competitive.
aos is all these crap all snowballed into one and thats why people enjoy and want to make them

Level 17
Why people play dota? It's because of the heroes mostly, the big selection of those good quality heroes. You have a point. But to achieve something better is rather hard or lets say in other words unachievable. Dota has 101 heroes. Making 6 spells for 101 heroes is really complicated. 6x101=606 spells. Not all are hard to make but it would take much time and most people would give up on that. The next thing to do is to balance those spells to make all heroes equal and that's what makes dota also the nice selection of items. So it is achievable but isn't achievable because no one will get the chance to achieve it, not to talk about making it popular. That's a fact and take the fact that WCIII is fading and no one wants to take that challenge and try to make something better then dota because it would be a waste of time. "Achievable but not achievable".

that's not the reason another aos map will never be more popular than DotA... it's the same reason no multiplayer FPS comes close to counterstrike in popularity (over the long term atleast, dont throw some modern warfare BS at me)

competitive gaming, and an established fan base. they aren't going to switch over and learn all the different synergies and heroes again. dota established itself when the genre was untapped, and dug itself into the competitive gaming scene/LAN gaming.

Level 34
that's not the reason another aos map will never be more popular than DotA... it's the same reason no multiplayer FPS comes close to counterstrike in popularity (over the long term atleast, dont throw some modern warfare BS at me)
Not sure what you mean by "long term", but MW2 is possibly the most popular game ever (MMOs aside).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Greetings,

Can someone please explain to me why every other uploaded map here on hive is an AoS. What's the deal with making them? No one will play them more than once, if they are extremely well done then maybe twice. An honest explanation would be kind.

Thanks.

Yours,
Chizume

Because AoS is popular to play and make. I don't know where you've got the whole "people play it twice if it's awesome" from.

Level 34
popular FPSs come and go, MW2 will die off eventually.

Counterstrike hasn't in over a decade.
Fair enough, however if trends continue, MW will be replaced by another CoD, which imo is the same thing, but I suppose as far as a single game goes, CS (especially 1.6 or whatever) is the longest lasting. Quake still played much?

Level 11
Well, I am making an AoS. But at first I was trying to make a Tower Defense map but someone poke my head and AoS is the result.

Hey. Without Starcraft, there is no Aeon of Strife (Right?)
and Without Aeon of Strife, there is no DOTA, my map, your AoS-type map, blah blah blah.

Note: Most people makes AoS-type maps to beat Dota. Like hvo-busterkomo said (Quote:)
Making an AoS better than DotA is achievable; making one more popular is not.
This is true. Hey Beating DOTA will make you famous. But I am not trying to beat DOTA. I only make maps for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.