• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the difference between "Skins" and "Models"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello users =)

I'm not actually into this but i really need to know what's the difference is between Skins in the "Skins" section and Models in the "Models" section.

I can't see any difference? There's a model on both skin and model but there's an additional picture on the skin.

Well i just want a simple answer =D

Level 31
skins override the model, aka if you get a robot grunt and you put it on regular grunt, you can no longer use regular grunt and it will always be robo grunt. also, you can NOT edit the physical state of the model with a skin, you can alpha some things out and be creative, but you can never truly change how it looks

with modeling you can make anything you want basically, and can make your own skins for your models or use wc3's skins, also you can make models from complete scratch or combine models from various other wc3 models

A model is basically 3D geometry which can be whatever you want. A skin is a 2D texture map which is applied to an already existing model.

What you're downloading from the skins section are images (texture maps, to be precise) which modify the appearance of your model, but not the shape of the actual model (or very slightly through smart alpha usage) and are dependent to the base model (i.e. you can't apply a grunt texture to a headhunter without prior modification, etc). The models section contains files which act as objects in the game world, have their own shape and such, completely independent

Status
Not open for further replies.