• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the deal with Mumorpuguh's these days?

Why do people love Mumorpuguh's so much?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Alright, now I know this may seem an odd question to ask, but really, what do people love so much about Mumorpuguh's? Is it the sense of progression? They have those in single player RPG's. Is it story? Most Mumorpuguh's lack any good story, or butcher it completely (*cough* World of Warcraft *cough*). Is it character development? Please, most don't even allow you to allocate skillpoints, unless it's one of those horrid asian Mumorpuguh's... Is it the massive amounts of loot? Diablo 2's loot kicks every Mumorpuguh's lootlist in the bum! Is it the combat? The combat couldn't be more brain-dead or stupid. You just right click on an enemy to target it, walk up to it, and whup-dee-do! Automatically start hitting him. Where's the manual hack-n-slash attacking as seen in Diablo 2? How is watching your character automatically hit something FUN?! I'll admit, Knights of the Old Republic did that quite nicely, with the melee combat looking incredibly kick-ass looking, but Mumorpuguh's don't have that! Is it the social aspect? Yeah, sure... because no other multiplayer game has a chat-bar or even voice chat.

My ranting list goes on-and-on-and-on. The only Mumorpuguh I've ever enjoyed was Lord of the Rings Online, but even that Mumorpuguh got old after about 5 hours!

I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions. Not about my ramblings, mind you- about Mumorpuguh's.

Level 34
Combat is fun. The satisfaction of leveling and getting gear. The fact that my enemies are often other players.

Level 15
Combat is fun.
Not for me. RPG's try to sort of be action games, but they can't be with automatic attacking.

The satisfaction of leveling and getting gear.
In order to get higher levels and get more gear... but to what end?

The fact that my enemies are often other players.
PvP in MMORPG's aren't exactly the "Unreal Tournament" or "Quake" of RPG's.

Age of Conan ain't auto attack game lololololololol (too bad it sucks)
Never tried Age of Conan, never was interested. It looks freakin' sweet, especially the ranged combat, but I never tried it.

I'd appreciate if you'd vote in the poll if you have an opinion, by the way.

Level 34
Not for me. RPG's try to sort of be action games, but they can't be with automatic attacking.
How not? What defines an action game? I find the gameplay of MMOs (at least good ones) to be fast paced and exciting.

In order to get higher levels and get more gear... but to what end?
There doesn't have to be an end for me. I enjoy it.
Also remember that levels end at a point, and that's often where people argue the best part of the game is. The gear is to get an advantage over other players, and it's fun to collect gear. RPGs like baulders gate and morrowind would not be all that much fun without gear imo.

PvP in MMORPG's aren't exactly the "Unreal Tournament" or "Quake" of RPG's.
Because they don't have lasers? I don't follow the logic.

Level 15
How not? What defines an action game? I find the gameplay of MMOs (at least good ones) to be fast paced and exciting.
The way I define action games is like this: a player has to manually attack something, not have their character or avatar automatically do it.

There doesn't have to be an end for me. I enjoy it.
Also remember that levels end at a point, and that's often where people argue the best part of the game is. The gear is to get an advantage over other players, and it's fun to collect gear. RPGs like baulders gate and morrowind would not be all that much fun without gear imo.
Baldur's Gate is about the actually "roleplaying", not collecting loot. Morrowind had some of that also, but only to a point.

Because they don't have lasers? I don't follow the logic.
Because in Unreal Tournament, you don't just highlight a target and walk up to it to attack- you have to aim at one and manually shoot at it. It requires more from the player than just to select something.

Level 34
The way I define action games is like this: a player has to manually attack something, not have their character or avatar automatically do it.
Fine, but Diablo doesn't really have manual attacking. You hold down the mouse button instead of clicking once.

Baldur's Gate is about the actually "roleplaying", not collecting loot. Morrowind had some of that also, but only to a point.
Trust me, RPGs wouldn't be nearly as popular without loot.

Because in Unreal Tournament, you don't just highlight a target and walk up to it to attack- you have to aim at one and manually shoot at it. It requires more from the player than just to select something.
Okay, so you don't like RPGs. Don't try and compare two games that are completely different.

Level 15
Fine, but Diablo doesn't really have manual attacking. You hold down the mouse button instead of clicking once.
In Diablo 2, you need to click each time to attack something. Hurr?

Trust me, RPGs wouldn't be nearly as popular without loot.
Whatever.

Okay, so you don't like RPGs. Don't try and compare two games that are completely different.
You have me totally wrong! I LOVE RPG's. I love RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic, where you select an enemy and your character automatically attacks while you get to use special abilities and what-not. MMORPG's don't really give me the same warm, fuzzy feelings I get whenever I play Neverwinter Nights or Knights of the Old Republic.

Level 34
In Diablo 2, you need to click each time to attack something. Hurr?
I don't see how it's different, but if it is to you fine.

You have me totally wrong! I LOVE RPG's. I love RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic, where you select an enemy and your character automatically attacks while you get to use special abilities and what-not.
Uhhhhh, that's how MMOs work....?

Level 34
No, I'm not. I was saying that most single player RPG's have more depth than Mumorpuguhs.
Fine, that's a perfectly good opinion.

But there's more to it than just fighting. It's about actually roleplaying- about stepping into the shoes of a character you create.
I would say that MMOs have far greater roleplaying potential. In an RPG you generally step into the shoes of a character created for you, and follow their story; sometimes with the chance to make some decisions along the way. I personally find RPG games more immersive on this front, but I don't think it's fair to say MMOs are all about fighting, or have less roleplaying.

Level 17
Fine, that's a perfectly good opinion.

I would say that MMOs have far greater roleplaying potential. In an RPG you generally step into the shoes of a character created for you, and follow their story; sometimes with the chance to make some decisions along the way. I personally find RPG games more immersive on this front, but I don't think it's fair to say MMOs are all about fighting, or have less roleplaying.

Not really, there are plenty of RPGs that give you freedom to sort of "Roleplay" your character how ever you wish.

Some games don't limit you anymore than MMOs do (in a sense).

Level 15
I would say that MMOs have far greater roleplaying potential. In an RPG you generally step into the shoes of a character created for you, and follow their story; sometimes with the chance to make some decisions along the way.
There are many open world RPG's that let you make your own character and go on your own adventures. The first one that comes to mind here would probably be Oblivion. Despite having tons of issues (as in a lack of dialogue and everyone sounding the same and the default combat sucking terribly), Oblivion is a great example of what roleplaying games should be more like, except with better dialogue and combat.

I personally find RPG games more immersive on this front, but I don't think it's fair to say MMOs are all about fighting, or have less roleplaying.
I daresay it is fair to say that! Just look at the juggernaut of Mumorpuguhs World of Warcraft- it's all about doing linear quests (which you really have no say in) in a fairly linear world (you can explore as much as you'd like, but you generally will go towards certain higher-level zones every time you level) and fighting monsters in order to get more XP and more levels in order to wear better armor in order to fight tougher monsters and do toughter quests.

Where's the roleplaying there? I even heard that the official "roleplaying" servers for World of Warcraft lack any sort of real roleplaying.

Level 34
There are many open world RPG's that let you make your own character and go on your own adventures. The first one that comes to mind here would probably be Oblivion. Despite having tons of issues (as in a lack of dialogue and everyone sounding the same and the default combat sucking terribly), Oblivion is a great example of what roleplaying games should be more like, except with better dialogue and combat.
I've never played Oblivion (no first person combat for me). However I've played a ton of RPGs, and they don't have a whole lot of freedom. They try and make you think they do, but they don't.

I daresay it is fair to say that! Just look at the juggernaut of Mumorpuguhs World of Warcraft- it's all about doing linear quests (which you really have no say in) in a fairly linear world (you can explore as much as you'd like, but you generally will go towards certain higher-level zones every time you level) and fighting monsters in order to get more XP and more levels in order to wear better armor in order to fight tougher monsters and do toughter quests.
See, it's not all about combat.

Where's the roleplaying there? I even heard that the official "roleplaying" servers for World of Warcraft lack any sort of real roleplaying.
Meh, never tried them. I'd rather play alone then roleplay.

Level 15
I've never played Oblivion (no first person combat for me). However I've played a ton of RPGs, and they don't have a whole lot of freedom. They try and make you think they do, but they don't.
Some RPG's may have linear storylines and what-not, but some have different ways of finishing quests (for example in a good way, neutral way, or evil way in RPG's with an alignment system). Mumorpuguhs don't.

See, it's not all about combat.
It's about getting to the next level in order to get to the next level, basically. But how do you do that? Combat.

Meh, never tried them. I'd rather play alone then roleplay.
Then how do you know that MMO's have more roleplaying opportunities than single player RPG's?

Level 34
Some RPG's may have linear storylines and what-not, but some have different ways of finishing quests (for example in a good way, neutral way, or evil way in RPG's with an alignment system). Mumorpuguhs don't.
I think there are actually. Usually it's deciding between two factions or something. Like the centaur in WoW.

It's about getting to the next level in order to get to the next level, basically. But how do you do that? Combat.
I disagree, the quests can actually be somewhat interesting, and there are skills to get up (craft, fishing ect), places to explore, and you can chat with people. However I also have no problem just fighting. Warhammer for example is basically PvP, there's no reason to PvE honestly, and I can live with that. No story or immersion, just action.

Then how do you know that MMO's have more roleplaying opportunities than single player RPG's?
The potential is there, I don't know if people use it. I suppose it is a moot point if no one does.

Level 15
I think there are actually. Usually it's deciding between two factions or something. Like the centaur in WoW.
The highlighted words in those two sentences makes you sound like you don't have any experience, and you're just making guesses.

I disagree, the quests can actually be somewhat interesting, and there are skills to get up (craft, fishing ect), places to explore, and you can chat with people. However I also have no problem just fighting. Warhammer for example is basically PvP, there's no reason to PvE honestly, and I can live with that. No story or immersion, just action.
The "action" isn't quite fun for me, so I CAN'T live with that. I'm contemplating getting the trial for Age of Conan- just to see what it's like, since I hear it has much more fun combat.

The potential is there, I don't know if people use it. I suppose it is a moot point if no one does.
It is a moot point, because no one does. No one "roleplays"- the only game I've ever seen actual roleplaying take place in is on those roleplaying maps for Warcraft III.

Level 15
I am not going to dignify this poll by voting in it after you used "Mumorpuguh's." Thats just freaking stupid. You make me sick.
You're hilarious... I got that from a really funny (and by funny I mean sarcastic) game reviewer from a magazine called Zero Punctuation or something.

I remember at least one, and I'm fairly certain there were others.
You're actually right. I believe there are two opposing factions in that neutral town in the Outlands you can join- the Scryers or the... well, another faction. But that doesn't really do much for me.

You did have a point with some of the quests in World of Warcraft being somewhat mildly interesting. I know the Death Knight starter quests are pretty awesome, and there's some quest where you jump from Dragon to Dragon, fighting enemies. That was cool.

Level 19
Well, when I played WoW (ugh), the only thing that really kept me going was the aforementioned leveling satisfaction, and the hope of being able to actually PvP later (which I did actually achieve and found fun, so I guess that stems off into the social aspect, in a way).

Status
Not open for further replies.