• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the deal with this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
So I've been playing for a few days, got me two 60s, and I still can't for the life of me understand how people get 300K damage, or get hit by enemies in inferno without it inflicting any noticeable damage on them...
No matter how good equipment I get (as much as I can without ever finding even one good item, yey for the auction house), I can't pass the few tens of thousands damage, and with all the armor and resistance bonuses, I still get 1-2 hit killed by any strong enemy.

The what?

By the way, I just tried MP10 with 50K damage, and I could hardly kill a zombie...how do people do farming?

Last edited:
Level 37
It is all about getting high rolls. Attack speed and critical hit damage increase your damage a lot.

There is a huge difference in having 4% crit chance and 35% critical hit damage ring and a 6%/45% ring.

The most basic dps items are Mempo of Twilight helmet with 5-6% critical chance, Lacuni prowlers bracers with crit chance, The witching hour belt, Inna's set pants, Ice climber boots and crafted amulet, gloves and sholders.

You could link your profile so it would be easier to see where you are lacking.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So I've been playing for a few days, got me two 60s, and I still can't for the life of me understand how people get 300K damage, or get hit by enemies in inferno without it inflicting any noticeable damage on them...
They are mostly pure glass cannons. Their damage is so high as damage pretty much increases exponentially with even 1% CritC adding like >4k damage. They also often have passives and other buffs raising their damage further.

or get hit by enemies in inferno without it inflicting any noticeable damage on them...
Actually they are taking tons of damage. In fact most enemies nearly one shot them especially at high difficulties. The reason they do not appear to take damage is that their insane damage combined with Life Steal gives them insane regeneration. My 115k damage Monk demonstrates this when a single Wave of Light will bring me from 1 HP to maximum health against only 1-2 enemies.

Some classes get damage more easily that other (eg Barbarian) but damage does not actually mean damage dealt. A Tornado Monk generally has quite low damage but deals a lot more to single targets due to the stacking Tornados. A Barbarian has high damage but deals quite low damage as Whirl Wind and Sprint deal low damage ticks.

No matter how good equipment I get (as much as I can without ever finding even one good item, yey for the auction house), I can't pass the few tens of thousands damage, and with all the armor and resistance bonuses, I still get 1-2 hit killed by any strong enemy.
Reaching 100k is pretty difficulty and will need quite some investment. Reaching >>150k needs either Glass Cannon gear (Innas Pants, Witching Hour, Tals Armor, CritC CritD AS Damage Prime gloves/amu/ring) or very expensive gear (same stuff but with final rolls on good defence properties like AR).

By the way, I just tried MP10 with 50K damage, and I could hardly kill a zombie...how do people do farming?
50k damage is MP3-4 range. MP10 literally needs 200k damage to kill anything quickly and even still it takes forever. MP10 is mostly done by people who have the best gear or who farm the decaying crypt using heavy AoE moves to compensate for low damage. Personally my Monk farms MP6 with the odd bit of 7 pretty fine, one shotting most white mobs when alone.

The most basic dps items are Mempo of Twilight helmet with 5-6% critical chance
I wonder what Blizzard was thinking with that item...

I lack the 20 billion gold required to buy good items. Getting them isn't a possibility, of course, because so far I only ever got one half-decent item.
Do not bother now seeing how in 30 days odd RoS and 2.0 goes live. Most of this high end gear will then be completely worthless as it struggles to match gear 10 levels above it with considerably higher prime attribute rolls or more useful Legendary affixes.

I lack the 20 billion gold required to buy good items. Getting them isn't a possibility, of course, because so far I only ever got one half-decent item.
Your Witch Doctor is showing 100k damage, which is actually pretty decent. The rest is down to poor skill choice.

Try something more like http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfYdQU!acb!bcbabZ
Zombie Bear spam is where most of the damage comes from. Soul Harvest is used to keep mana up in combat and also to boost your damage considerably. For fighting elites and bosses you have Big Bad Voodoo which does an insane DPS boost. Spirit Walk gives you brief invulnerability and some security. The two mana regen passives can be swapped for more DPS orientated ones if you wish. If you can go without Jungle Fortitude then go a damage passive instead. If you can go without zombie dogs, use Locust instead. If bears are not your style then go bats, in fact bats deals better DPS per mana but is less bursty (channelled).

Like most glass cannons, it aims for killing stuff before stuff kills you. Should be able to do MP5 with some practice pretty effectively, if not higher.

Keep in mind the total change in game play coming in about 30 days. No more auction house, new gear mechanics and completely changed class play.

This is my MP6/7 Monk. The boots, gems and I think one of the rings was self-found. All else brought from GAH. Total gear value would be somewhere between 50 and 200 million gold depending on time and based on non-current prices. Obviously I did not pay that much for it, things like the amulet and rings fluctuate price a lot and were obtained at a cheap price. Some items may seem expensive but are actually quite rare on the GAH so have highly variable price. The Skorn was obtained recently, obviously as part of the selling desperation people are entering in preparation for next month. Gems are all self-found, with exception of some Tomes of Secrets which were needed due to drop imbalances.

The build itself is abusing a bug with Infused with Light rune of Breath of Heaven combined with Fists of Fury rune of Way of the Hundred Fists that grants stupidly high Spirit regeneration. Combined with Wave of Light and Conviction Mantra I deal damage much closer to someone around 200k or more despite my 120k face value.

As you may see I was originally a DH but I found the Monk way of playing easier, better feeling and overall a lot more damaging.

Level 37
Analyzing only the damage of your items:
-Weapon lacks socket, therefore 100% critical damage modifier
-Zunimassa's Trail would add more dps
-Inna's Pants would do more damage
-Low crit chance on left ring, no attack speed or critical hit modifiers
-Low crit modifier on belt, low main stat also
-Low crit chance on bracers
-Low crit chance on gloves, no attack speed, a must have here
-You miss 100 main stat on shoulders
-No crit chance on amulet

All these add up.

I usually try to get 40-50k health. 20k would be much too little for my tastes, but I only play HC.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
-Weapon lacks socket, therefore 100% critical damage modifier
He lacks the 16,000,000 needed to craft a single Radiant Star Emerald. Heck not even I have one and I have >500,000,000 on HC. But that might be my inner Scrooge talking.

-Low crit chance on left ring, no attack speed or critical hit modifiers
Attack speed is bad for WD as he does not have attack speed based resource generation. It is far better to pile on other damage boosting attributes for slightly less damage in total but more damage per mana since you will virtually always be mana bound.

-Low crit modifier on belt, low main stat also
Belts do not have crit modifiers with exception of that dumb Witching Hour belt and some small ones from various sets. No idea what Blizzard was thinking with Witching Hour since it is so OP that in RoS beta it was the best belt you could use at 70 (even though it was legacy 60) until they prevented you from re-rolling the prime attribute on it.

-Low crit chance on bracers
-Low crit chance on gloves, no attack speed, a must have here
-You miss 100 main stat on shoulders
-No crit chance on amulet
Yeh basically all that. It is hard to buy that stuff without big money and at the moment it is worthless to since you will get better in 1 month anyway. I would save gold at the moment and only look for cheap upgrades (which one can expect over the next few weeks as people are desperate to sell).

I usually try to get 40-50k health. 20k would be much too little for my tastes, but I only play HC.
HC is a totally different ball game. There you will easily sacrifice 100k damage just to be virtually un-killable. In SC you cannot afford to do that as the loss in productivity for a small chance of dying is not worth it. However it still has the same problem that getting that much health with decent all res gear is very costly and completely not worth it at the moment.

Next month reaching 70k HP at 60 is the normal and if you buy RoS expect >>300k HP.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Honestly, I always advice ppl to enter d2jsp forum and start griding d2jsp gold via farmed items and other stuff from game. Whatmore, d2jsp allows you to smoothly tranfer gold/stuff throughout different games. Of course this refers only to games which d2jsp accepts yet there are plenty of those including all blizzard games.

In my case, when I got my 1st 5k or so from diablo2, I could really start rolling out and transit between games without losing so much time on farming in every one of them. "The next thing you do after getting your first couple of thousands on d2jsp, you get uber rich"

Within a week or two, together with my brother we managed to increase initial d3 capital of 50m to 10b just from trading in game gold for d2jsp gold and vice versa. Game was so action-house dependant that trades relaying on currency inflation ruined it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Within a week or two, together with my brother we managed to increase initial d3 capital of 50m to 10b just from trading in game gold for d2jsp gold and vice versa. Game was so action-house dependant that trades relaying on currency inflation ruined it.
If you are not an advertisement robot then know that you cannot trade gold anymore unless you use the AH for the next month and in any case only junk items can be brought as all legendries (end game gear) are account bound.

I usually go a frost wizard. And I just stun and stun and stun and own and own and own.
I do not understand what build you are referring to. The stun build is a lightning Wizard which uses the 15% stun on lightning damage passive combined with a ring for an extra 20% chance to stun to give a high stun rate. You then throw in the amulet of extra stun duration for even more effectiveness.

If you are referring to the old Critical Mass, wicked wind, frost nova build then you clearly are not playing the game anymore as there is no Critical Mass passive anymore (it has physically been removed from the game).

Level 10
If you are not an advertisement robot then know that you cannot trade gold anymore unless you use the AH for the next month and in any case only junk items can be brought as all legendries (end game gear) are account bound.

I do not understand what build you are referring to. The stun build is a lightning Wizard which uses the 15% stun on lightning damage passive combined with a ring for an extra 20% chance to stun to give a high stun rate. You then throw in the amulet of extra stun duration for even more effectiveness.

If you are referring to the old Critical Mass, wicked wind, frost nova build then you clearly are not playing the game anymore as there is no Critical Mass passive anymore (it has physically been removed from the game).
Wow they changed that? Now that is explaining why I keep dying so much.

Then it is probably the slow then.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
I'm not a robot DSG lol.
I've stopped playing d3 4-5 months ago, reaching about 900 hours with my chars. I know what changes have been made, and yes, even more are coming. However untill legendaries were not bound on pickup, many ppl were abusing d2jsp trading. Dont say you haven't traded via d2jsp, have you?

Level 10
I'm not a robot DSG lol.
I've stopped playing d3 4-5 months ago, reaching about 900 hours with my chars. I know what changes have been made, and yes, even more are coming. However untill legendaries were not bound on pickup, many ppl were abusing d2jsp trading. Dont say you haven't traded via d2jsp, have you?

AT least we don't have to deal with the auction house.

Status
Not open for further replies.