• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What will the Warcraft 3 Remake include? What you will want it to have?

How likey a Warcraft 3 remake/Remaster is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello All

I think It's quite obvious the evidence is heavily in favor of a Warcraft 3 remake and I still yet have not found 1 valid reason on why Blizzard started updating War3 other than remaster. So for purpose of this thread let's assume a remake is in the works tho if you believe this not be the case feel free to message me.

My question is what you think the Remake will have? and What do you want the remake to have or not have? There a lot of people far more experienced with Warcraft 3 than me so I'm quite interested in your opinion. I ll just state the obvious ones to make it easier for you.

Also note: I'm assuming it's most likely a remake/remaster and not Warcraft 4 since with the current RTS market and fear of the fact that current Warcraft 3 veteran fans don't want change and just want nostalgia so it's quite likely that Blizzard won't touch the game's mechanics and will just remake the game. Also conflict with WoW is another valid reason.

EXPECTATIONS:

What will Blizzard most likely Include in the Remaster/Remake?

- HD Models and remake of the graphics so it fits modern standards. (tho It will cause trouble with already created models and maps at hive).

- Better Platform which allows for hosting of custom maps, ranked matches and chat with friends.

- Better connection and servers, possible removal of bots.

- Some sorta of MTX or in game store for cosmetic items so the game has longevity financially unlike it's predecessor

- Some new maps and balance changes to melee.

- Removal of LAN hosting

- Updates to the game after lunch.

HOPES:

Now for the top I just assumed Blizzard will go for the most cash-grab scenario which is quite likely, however down here is what I also want it to include tho it's unlikely:

- Possible Extra campaigns. Not really following of WoW story-line, not also conflicting with WoW story line. But rather prequels which add to the stories campaign. Like for example Scarlet Crusade. There are tons of stories in the second and Third War Blizzard can put in. I think this scenario is more likely if they make a new campaign.

- Remake of the original campaigns so they are updated with modern standards (graphics and sound wise). Possible extra additions to them. e.g more details on siege of Silvermoon

- Updates to the game engine so it's more functional and crashes less while also re-engineering the terrain engine to make path-finding easier

- Updates to the editor so it had more features while also adding the option to make it more functional without the need to rely on third-party programs

- A Hosting system for custom maps which makes finding them easier but unlike Starcraft it does not only feature the most popular ones but also adds room for newly added maps to be tested and shine if they are good. Also a much larger size for custom maps to be hosted on battle-net.

- Possible room for Modders to collab with Blizzard and make their maps monetized with cosmetics if their maps are quit well done and popular. Kinda like what they done recently to Starcraft 2.

- New models and possibly 1 or 2 new custom maps created by Blizzard themselves like Azeroth grand prix

- Some love to custom map community while also some updates to the game's soundtracks as well as maybe adding some new ones.

Let me know where I'm wrong and what you reckon Warcraft 3 remake/remaster will have? Also speculate on the time of release or announcement as well if you can.

Thanks

Level 6
- Vectortargetting support

- Itemsinking -> (dying with a unit on a ship/zepelin over sea removed the item from the game which was quite often mandatory to play. A lot of greiving in the past was done with this. One nastry griever basically sank the key to the next stage which ruined the game for everyone. so if this happens let is show up on the closest explored by any player shore

- Pathing update

- Map size maximum removal

- Normal and bump maps viability

- support for Co-op campaigns and savegames without code saving workarounds.

- chat extraction

- Reconnect system

- Anti alliasing smart algorithms. (maybe recalculation algorithms which turns bitmaps etc. into vectors to improve visual capabilities.)

- Visual UI update to the world editor.

- Minimap relocation UI updates

- New campaign/content on either the new islands like borealis/zandalar or gilneas and other "new area's" not on kalimdor and perhaps some old god narrative.

- Possibly T4/T5 piramid system to current races. Adding Forsaken/vrykul to Undead, Bloodelves to Horde, Draenei/Gnome to Human, Worgen to nightelf

- Competitive team branding and sponsor banner support on maps. And other tricks to make it interesting to attract sponsors. And make it thrive as an esport. It proved a test of time and with the decline of dota1's popularity it can be caterd more towards the original game no longer being overtaken in popularity by a mod.

Level 4
Actually, I'm hoping for the stuff to be implemented in future patches not a "new" game.
Some of it are possible and might happen since I believe Blizzard Classic team said they are gonna fix up the classic games first before remaking them. My opinion is tho they won't do much fixes on War3 apart from the really easy and necessary ones. Plus some if has already been done on like third party platforms such as Net-ease in China which basically updated Warcraft 3 in a lot of ways and provided a lot things were are hoping Blizzard will bring. I recommend checking it out. It's quite amazing.

However my point is the that mainly Blizzard has absolutely no financial motive to fix up Warcraft 3 let alone add anything to it. There are no MTX or live service elements in it so making players play Warcraft 3 for longer won't add any value to them. Also No one is gonna go like "Oh man, I have halted buying Warcraft 3 cause it did not feature 24 player support. But now, now is the time to finally buy Warcaft 3 after 15 years."

Whatever sales War3 was to make have already been made so it's futile to update the game. Hence Why I reckon they will focus their main effort on Remaster. Plus Blizzard won't want people to be playing Warcraft 3 original once a remastered version comes out. That will not only lose them money on remastered but also splits the community. So here is why I reckon they will ensure the remaster will be ridiculously better than the original in every way, if that means not updating the original.

I have forgot one other possible scenario. They might do another expansion for Warcraft 3 instead of remake. That would be the ultimate greed scenario and piss a lot of people off since it's just absolute no work, quick cash-grab on nostalgia and probably cause backlash. however you never know, EA has gotten away with these sorta Charlatan moves for a so long so Blizzard might too.

Still these sorta behavior of just milking the existing fan-base is now quite common withing the industry. No Triple AAA company is actually interested anymore in creating a good game which pleases the fan base and attracts new players.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Whatever sales War3 was to make have already been made so it's futile to update the game. Hence Why I reckon they will focus their main effort on Remaster. Plus Blizzard won't want people to be playing Warcraft 3 original once a remastered version comes out. That will not only lose them money on remastered but also splits the community. So here is why I reckon they will ensure the remaster will be ridiculously better than the original in every way, if that means not updating the original.
Maybe, but they've made Brood War free and its remaster isn't that great compared to the original. For me, the higher resolution is what matters from all those enhancements they've done.
I have forgot one other possible scenario. They might do another expansion for Warcraft 3 instead of remake. That would be the ultimate greed scenario and piss a lot of people off since it's just absolute no work, quick cash-grab on nostalgia and probably cause backlash. however you never know, EA has gotten away with these sorta Charlatan moves for a so long so Blizzard might too.
It's not a cash grab if they price it adequately. They've done it with StarCraft II but they didn't start properly as they released the levels for Nova Covert Ops three by three 12 or 14$ each from what I remember. But after some time (a year or two), the full campaign became somewhere around 20$. However, the campaign has replayability so it's not a bad deal.

Level 4
Maybe, but they've made Brood War free and its remaster isn't that great compared to the original. For me, the higher resolution is what matters from all those enhancements they've done.

I agree, however Starcraft brood War is famous for different reasons than Warcraft 3. Starcraft has been perfect for esports and competitive player. Melee Warcraft 3 has never been it's main strength and not why it got famous. It's primarily been amazing campaigns and the custom maps like Dota and Legion TD getting people interested in Warcraft. A only resolution and graphics update won't really help Warcraft 3. They need do a lot more than that to get people interested. What's the point of playing the campaign and custom maps (assuming people bother to make it compatible) I have already played again, just in HD?

It's not a cash grab if they price it adequately. They've done it with StarCraft II but they didn't start properly as they released the levels for Nova Covert Ops three by three 12 or 14$ each from what I remember. But after some time (a year or two), the full campaign became somewhere around 20$. However, the campaign has replayability so it's not a bad deal.

Yea but my point is with an expansion there won't be any updates to the engines or the graphics. No new player would be interested in that. This would just a move feed off fans. Meanwhile everyone is hoping for this game to have something better than 2003 standards. That's just pure laziness. Plus no one would play TFT after it just like almost no one plays ROC now.

TBH I'm actually quite happy if they make a lot of paid campaigns as extra. Just not happy if they force it into multiplayer. when it comes to multiplayer, the more players a game has it is automatically better due to faster que times and wider skill ranges to compete and a better overview of game balance and bugs. When you put Multiplayer behind a paywall. Everyone loses, even the people who are willing the pay for it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yea but my point is with an expansion there won't be any updates to the engines or the graphics. No new player would be interested in that. This would just a move feed off fans. Meanwhile everyone is hoping for this game to have something better than 2003 standards. That's just pure laziness. Plus no one would play TFT after it just like almost no one plays ROC now.
I disagree. If it's an actual expansion that adds something to the game like TfT added to RoC (assets: models-units, music-sounds, CGI videos etc.), then it's a totally different thing.

Level 4
I disagree. If it's an actual expansion that adds something to the game like TfT added to RoC (assets: models-units, music-sounds, CGI videos etc.), then it's a totally different thing.
Yes but for a 2003 game? It's kinda insulting. Maybe if the game was getting constant expansions since 2003 then it would be perfectly fine. But they just after 15 years go, oh we discovered an easy opportunity to cash-grab on nostalgia easily so new War3 expansion is coming out.

Nobody new would be interested in buying a 2003 game in 2018 and it would be kinda insulting to existing fan-base that some extra model units, sounds and videos is all they will be getting. Maybe add in a campaign and possible addition of new race to melee. However pretty much the modding community has done all of that already. We want Blizzard to give something the mods can't already and that's better graphics, matchmaking, platform, editor and game engine. I'm not saying an expansion won't have any value but rather that it would be futile and insulting over a remake/remaster option unless they do something that is like a remake and a new expansion. That would be cool.

Level 6
but those things can all be granted with a new update.... i think there are ample of opportunites to abuse dirty tricks to rework the old engine to run into a new engine that removes older limits....

And sure it might have been 15 years but there's still a very big group of players playing it after years. On top of nostalgia there are ways to attract new players the RTS scene other than Civilization and Total war. Which are their own games in their own right there haven't been that many great games that overtook warcraft III in the last 15 years either mostly just fragmentation.

Level 13
I'd say there's about 80% chance that next blizzcon will be bringing in WC3 remastered, or at least an announcement for it

First, they gotta remaster the campaings, including cutscenes and cinematics. Also, rewamp them a little bit with the rewritten canon, like mentioning Dar'Khan Drathir on the way to Quel'Thalas, and all that stuff, can't recall it all. I wanna mention Rexxar campaing as well - there can be more sublevels and an entire WoW-like system, like talents and extended inventory, since this is, if its ok to say so, WoW's origin.

Next, variety of difficulty levels, like in SC2, for example. No idea if an achievement system should come with it.

The most important part is, of course, The World Editor. It should be more friendly to the people that are new to the mapmaking. Object Editor can be way better if people would be capable of, lets say, making their own spells and abilities (no, not like in SC2), that alone would be a great addition. Im not even talking about GUI and Jass, thats the platform of quality mapmaking, and it has to get a good support as well.

I'd root for things like additional resource releases by Blizzard - icons, models and textures. How cool would that be?
(I'd say it'd be very very cool indeed... and hopefully we wouldnt have to pay money for that :/ )

Im rooting for WC3 remastered more than for WC4, the reason being the current game industry - its all about money nowadays.
Blizzard changed a lot over the years, and nostalgia should not cloud peoples expectations - game may end up a piece of sheesh.

Level 4
but those things can all be granted with a new update.... i think there are ample of opportunites to abuse dirty tricks to rework the old engine to run into a new engine that removes older limits....

And sure it might have been 15 years but there's still a very big group of players playing it after years. On top of nostalgia there are ways to attract new players the RTS scene other than Civilization and Total war. Which are their own games in their own right there haven't been that many great games that overtook warcraft III in the last 15 years either mostly just fragmentation.

Of course I was also thinking of campaigns and voice acting.... as with TfT...

I would if done properly.

They could also do it like with WoW, enhance graphics by upgrading the engine?

Well I agree with of you. If they make expansion that comes with reasonable engine updates and graphics updates and client updates then it's fine. However if remember those things don't usually come with an expansion. don't think TFT had those.

Idk, This like getting a 2003 car and trying to add and modify to make it compete with 2018 cars. Not impossible but seems like a waste of energy. It's far better off for them just to make a 2018 car.

I'd say there's about 80% chance that next blizzcon will be bringing in WC3 remastered, or at least an announcement for it

First, they gotta remaster the campaings, including cutscenes and cinematics. Also, rewamp them a little bit with the rewritten canon, like mentioning Dar'Khan Drathir on the way to Quel'Thalas, and all that stuff, can't recall it all. I wanna mention Rexxar campaing as well - there can be more sublevels and an entire WoW-like system, like talents and extended inventory, since this is, if its ok to say so, WoW's origin.

Next, variety of difficulty levels, like in SC2, for example. No idea if an achievement system should come with it.

The most important part is, of course, The World Editor. It should be more friendly to the people that are new to the mapmaking. Object Editor can be way better if people would be capable of, lets say, making their own spells and abilities (no, not like in SC2), that alone would be a great addition. Im not even talking about GUI and Jass, thats the platform of quality mapmaking, and it has to get a good support as well.

I'd root for things like additional resource releases by Blizzard - icons, models and textures. How cool would that be?
(I'd say it'd be very very cool indeed... and hopefully we wouldnt have to pay money for that :/ )

Im rooting for WC3 remastered more than for WC4, the reason being the current game industry - its all about money nowadays.
Blizzard changed a lot over the years, and nostalgia should not cloud peoples expectations - game may end up a piece of sheesh.

LAMO those hyper links. It's true the game can be rubbish due to the high amount greed, unreasonable fear of risk/change and laziness in AAA industry atm. That's why I placed my most pessimistic expectations as well not to get hopes up. However I'm still hopeful. Blizzard don't want to really make much game-play changes but more technical changes and technical changes are less likely to mess up and can be fixed. The hard part will be the story-lines and maybe implementing some new mechanics to the game. But I reckon Blizzard can do it.

Level 15
I would like to see a new playable race, some new tavern heroes, or a new hero for each race, and a unit while you're at it. Lastly no remaster would be complete to my eyes without a new custom campaign a la Into the wilds (Rexar campaign).

What about a new random team game / FFA hybrid mode: 2v2v2 and 3v3v3?

As for quality of life changes...

Change Unit Attack Range native. I'm prepared to kidnap someone at blizzard in order to get it.

Perhaps an improvement to the custom games list, informing you how many players are in the game and the amount possible.

Make GHOST reconnection (or whatever is currently used) supported by blizzard.

Last edited:
I think there wont be new campaigns by blizz in ,,remastered version,, . They will let community do that,they dont want involve in lore ,its a headache for them. Wc4 wont happen before wc3 remaster does,cause a wc3 remaster at first would be a testing marketing platform for something greater wc4 (but imo - wc4it will never happen)
I believe they will support world editor,meele map changes,units balances .
HD models - erm wont happen too.That would need a new engine.

Personally from them in this moment ( considering a reality that it is...) , engine upgrade(specually to support high polly models),interface menu,new hosting blizz servers for custom games (removing bots and private hosting), x64 support...Would be enough for me now...
Hehe i know its not an easy job - but you cant say i am a greedy person,specually after warcraft 3 adultery birthday..

Level 4
I think there wont be new campaigns by blizz in ,,remastered version,, . They will let community do that,they dont want involve in lore ,its a headache for them. Wc4 wont happen before wc3 remaster does,cause a wc3 remaster at first would be a testing marketing platform for something greater wc4 (but imo - wc4it will never happen)
I believe they will support world editor,meele map changes,units balances .
HD models - erm wont happen too.That would need a new engine.

Personally from them in this moment ( considering a reality that it is...) , engine upgrade(specually to support high polly models),interface menu,new hosting blizz servers for custom games (removing bots and private hosting), x64 support...Would be enough for me now...
Hehe i know its not an easy job - but you cant say i am a greedy person,specually after warcraft 3 adultery birthday..
I think campagin will most likley be the one thing that will be in remastered version for sure. No offense tho better than Blizzard in creativity and game-play the community sucks at doing campaigns when it comes to story, They don't have the voice actors nor the story tellers Blizzard has while also every campagin modders make is fan-fiction not taken seriously as lore. This one area where Blizzard has huge advantage.

Don't see why lore will be headache, should be easiest part. There are hundreds of potential stories past WoW or during WoW they can tell. Scarlet Crusade, second war etc. Warcraft 3 also doesn't have to worry about player's character unlike WoW in story telling, so any campagin they make will automatically be 10x the quality of any story told in WoW.

Seems pretty lazy if they don't do HD in 2k18, specially since it's been done with Starcraft. Don't think people will considering paying for it seriously. Plus two of the 4 things you asked for have already been done. NetEase has that covered. I will make a video about it soon.

Last edited:
I want all,not just the things i wrote...But it wont happen,we must stay realistic...
Wc3 Remaster could be done,i dont know if they will ever do it i am dissapointed...
It could be a testing platform for something greater like wc4...

But project like Warcraft IV, should be so huge,so big and complex,with such a potential,like wow back in times...can you imagine such a glorious game omg...A second face of WOW ,but RTS and proper lore..

I believe its time they do a vice-versa thing .

Such a game would took 5-7 years to develop,so it doesnt look worse than some moba..

Actively patched,customer support,skins,monthly payed if needed to stay alive 4ever xD,with skins,with armor build room etc...Me who never bought a game,or a skin, i would pay all of it like a teenage kido does in shity moba alike games.WOW RTS,oh xD

I noticed 1 weird phenomena in a metro pc caffes, i saw people start playing wc3 after 12 hours of wow.

Those ,,south park wow players,, begin to talk,laugh,get sense of teamplay on lan,make jokes .

Honestly they look like zombies,but when wc3 took place their personality comes out lol...its pretty much smoking weed and having fun in a small group after heroin...

What a dream ,i am now angry,i speak chaotic,illusional...Why did you reply :(

Last edited:
Level 9
The problem with Warcraft 3 remake or Warcraft 4 is that they will most likely be incompatible with existing custom Warcraft 3 models/skins/icons/maps/spells, and even if they are most would be too low-quality.
Which means the whole point of the game - modding - will start from scratch. One would have to wait several years to be able to make a custom enough map. And as we've seen with Starcraft II, higher model quality deters most modders.

Considering Blizzard's current attention to Warcraft 3 I'm thinking that Blizzard would just upgrade Warcraft 3 to a more modern level and leave it at that. At least I hope so. The tidbits we know from Alpha/Beta show that engine in fact can support quite a lot more than was implemented in the final game, Blizzard just need to reimplement that, and the game would be in great place.

Level 4
The problem with Warcraft 3 remake or Warcraft 4 is that they will most likely be incompatible with existing custom Warcraft 3 models/skins/icons/maps/spells, and even if they are most would be too low-quality.
Which means the whole point of the game - modding - will start from scratch. One would have to wait several years to be able to make a custom enough map. And as we've seen with Starcraft II, higher model quality deters most modders.

Considering Blizzard's current attention to Warcraft 3 I'm thinking that Blizzard would just upgrade Warcraft 3 to a more modern level and leave it at that. At least I hope so. The tidbits we know from Alpha/Beta show that engine in fact can support quite a lot more than was implemented in the final game, Blizzard just need to reimplement that, and the game would be in great place.
I think the first part will be intentional. This way they can kinda make sure who made what so the creators will get some credibility this way. This can also avoid copy right issues should they decide to allow for monetization of some of the maps which is quite likely. The Typical custom maps like Footmen Frenzy for example or the TDs will be easily implemented. It's just maybe the big maps and more complex maps and the campaigns which will have some trouble but won't take long cause of the hype train. They just need to provide more resources for learning and don't make the editor too complex for no reason.

As for the second part which is a more modern Warcraft 3, that already exists and it's called Netease which has a free to play model and is rocking quite hard to China, Dwarfing any Western players who play Warcraft 3, specially in custom map section. If that's the plan, all they had to do is copy Netease. Netease already has a lot of features we asked for here (I will make a video on it soon, you will be surprised by Netease's upgrades). However If a modern Warcraft 3 was their plan, that should have been done 3 years and something like that shouldn't take more than a month max.

I still reckon a graphical HD makeover is required. We who played WC3 a lot don't realize it but people who never played WC3 won't find it's graphics not attractive at all at this age. Specially where Starcraft and AoE are both HD and the norm for the RTS fantasy Market is Total War war hammer 2.

Level 9
RTS genre is generally not attractive to new players these days. The point of all those remasters, HD remakes and other lazy stuff is to simply cash in again on the same old playerbase.
But Warcraft III playerbase is attracted to modding first and foremost. They already tried to tempt it with flashy HD models when Starcraft II hit, it failed. I'd think they learned their lesson.

Level 4
RTS genre is generally not attractive to new players these days. The point of all those remasters, HD remakes and other lazy stuff is to simply cash in again on the same old playerbase.
But Warcraft III playerbase is attracted to modding first and foremost. They already tried to tempt it with flashy HD models when Starcraft II hit, it failed. I'd think they learned their lesson.
I kinda disagree with the first part. Yes Classical RTS is indeed no longer attractive at all. New players are not and won't ever be interested in hard core high APM based Classical RTSs at all and the very few who are will just play Starcraft. So yea you are correct, in a remake nobody will be interested in melee at all.

However Just cause Classical RTS is hopeless, same cannot be said for RTS. Remember RTS is a massive genre. Total War Warhammer is still constantly growing with more sales each year. Meanwhile Mobas like League and Dota II and Tower defense maps and Tug of War maps are still dominating. They are all still RTS, Just an evolved version whether you like it or not.

I fully agree with your second part. About Starcraft, I'm not fully informed about it so someone who knows it can enlighten us on why Starcraft modding community is dead but from I heard and researched here are the reasons:

1- Editor being too complicated tho offer more advanced variability. This kinda cause trouble for players to open up the editor. Great thing about Warcaft 3 editor is you didn't have to a game developer to know how to use it and make a great map. You could be a total noob like me with no interest in game development or programming yet still be interested in editor and make some good maps.

2- It was near impossible to promote your map, Apparently the system they had in place only featured the top played map so It was quite hard to promote a new map while maps with a lot of player had a huge moat and kept on attracting all the players.

3- Price of Starcraft II, it did not help that Starcraft II was expensive while other moddable games like dota 2 were free. Most people also did not feel the need to pay for Starcraft II just for the mods where they had it in Warcraft 3.

4- Blizzard's Dota BS: Dota not going to Starcraft and instead becoming Dota 2 hurt Blizzard badly. Dota was the major player base of Warcraft and the symbol of the modding community. So when Icefrog approached Blizzard and asked for partnership I've heard Blizzard's Reply to him went something like this: "hahahaha, Do you honestly think we the pure and holy Blizzard developers would ever affiliate ourselves with a low life outsourcing filthy modder like you? Hell no! Now go remake Dota in Starcraft II engine and boost it's sales and popularity for free just like you did with Warcraft 3 you pet slave"

Obviously Icefrog was mad so he rightfully went and made dota 2 with valve who actually appreciated importance of mods. Blizzard Lost hundreds of millions in $$$ by losing Dota so Blizzard's Activation overlords were furious and sued Valve like a cry baby which lead to nothing. They made a HoTs or something which was pathetic in comparison to Dota II and League in terms of popularity. Blizzard then rigged thier EULA with Starcraft II to ensure they own everything made in it. The whole thing showed the power of mods in gaming industry but also showed modders if you mod a game for Blizzard you get nothing in return for your efforts and Blizzard will try to steal all the credits. This discouraged very good modders from attempting to develop mods for Blizzard. I believe Legion TD went on steam as well while a lot of TDs went with Dota II

5- All that in point 4 was at time where you had dota II for modding and unity and unreal engine where on the Rise. Dota even added a system to pay and support the modders. You see when Warcraft 3 game out, it's editor was quite huge cause Game creation engines like Unity were not that famous yet. But at the time of Starcraft II there won tons of other options for making games. So basiclly there was not any point to Starcraft IIs editor apart from access to Starcraft's copyrighted content that made Starcaft IIs editors differentiate from other game editors.

6- HD Models were part of the reason but were insignificant in comparison to others. By that logic no one should have even touched Dota 2 cause it does not look blocky and cartoonish like Dota Allstars.

Remember average game age is like 32 something so there are a lot of people who will think of buying Warcraft. It's true the fans will buy it but also there a lot of other old gamers who don't know about Warcraft. For example I never knew about age of Empires. Looking at it, I'm not interested in playing Age of empires 2 cause it just looks like trash. However I'm keen and plan on buying Age of empires 4. There is still competition out there between RTSs. Looks matter a lot when it comes to advertisement of a game.

I know this might make you think well like this then It's hopeless for Warcraft remake mods now after your points. Not entirely, It's true there now far better engines for creating games like TDs instead of using the WC3 remade editor. But the simplicity of WC3 editor and most importantly it allowing access to Blizzard's copyrighted assets such as sounds and models will give it an advantage. This will incentives Players who not wanna be game Devs to make some cool games. Plus I know a lot people disliked how the entire models and sounds changed when Dota allstars became Dota 2. The Warcraft Characters and sounds will be give the players some sense of familiarity as well.

But what about Blizzard's massive distaste for Mods and the map making community? Well When it comes to that I think Activi Overlords love for money already has and will continue over power Blizzard's hate for map makers. Monetizing and supporting mods is becoming more common and it has already happened for Warcraft 3 in China and Warcraft 3 is booming there because of it. Their map making community is already far far better than it was ever in here. I will showcase Netease platform soon once i finish the video for it so you can see how they manage to do it properly.

Level 10
I kinda disagree with the first part. Yes Classical RTS is indeed no longer attractive at all. New players are not and won't ever be interested in hard core high APM based Classical RTSs at all and the very few who are will just play Starcraft. So yea you are correct, in a remake nobody will be interested in melee at all.

However Just cause Classical RTS is hopeless, same cannot be said for RTS. Remember RTS is a massive genre. Total War Warhammer is still constantly growing with more sales each year. Meanwhile Mobas like League and Dota II and Tower defense maps and Tug of War maps are still dominating. They are all still RTS, Just an evolved version whether you like it or not.

I fully agree with your second part. About Starcraft, I'm not fully informed about it so someone who knows it can enlighten us on why Starcraft modding community is dead but from I heard and researched here are the reasons:

While all excellent points. The Major Issue I have found with the modding community that blizzard seems to ignore is the potential. Most of the mods in wc3 are full on games.

Starcraft 2 was indeed too complicated and overtly so. You couldn't do simple things and it complicated it to the point where it was probably just easier to make your own game than learn a very unusable interface. I rather see code than use Starcraft 2's editor. Unreal Engine 4 has a better interface and design and I've made more games for it in a shorter amount of time than trying to go through the mess that is the Blizzard's Starcraft 2 Map Editor. Which while powerful was deeply complicated to the point that one could do a lot with it but not in a short time frame. That's where it goes... Time. Time is very precious for a modding community, they want to pump things out semiregularly which Starcraft 2 actively punished. Not to mention that the engine doesn't feel the same.

Classical RTS's is currently an untouched market not many game developers are willing to go down that route as it is far too expensive of a venture. Having worked in industry with some fellows, RTSs are just not feasible, monetarily as it is a massive risk for a company.

A classical RTS is a niche market but I think if done correctly it could be a heavy hitter, as many people are left savoring at the mouth since flop after flop and false promises made by many game companies in industry. (DOW III, and the Advent of DOTA Games). DOTA games have cornered the market taking much of the player base with it.

Classical Players are all drifting towards games like MechWarrior and Total War Series. But many are still found wanting if you watch the majority of streamers and the culture that has developed many people still want something more.

It would be a brilliant idea to re-release Warcraft 3 in HD glory, but to keep its original style. The only reason Warcraft 3 has been so successful has been the amazing modding culture developed from it. Many people who were modders are now older now and in industry (From what I've seen). Some of us Veterans of the old Wc3 modding days which we all deeply loved. Would welcome the opportunity to come back to a revamped warcraft 3 with the same tools we knew when we started 10 - 16 years ago.
Blizzard made massive mistakes in its execution of Starcraft 2's modding community they overtly course adjusted and that community has sorta died out. While warcraft 3 continues to go on strong with 17k - 18k players concurrent.
Kind of funny considering how many 'warchests' are put into the game and thats still not dragging peoples attention to starcraft 2. As starcraft is now in its halflife and not many players are interested in returning to a dead modding base. (no offense to any remaining modders, but man you guys can bare alot)

1- Editor being too complicated tho offer more advanced variability. This kinda cause trouble for players to open up the editor. Great thing about Warcaft 3 editor is you didn't have to a game developer to know how to use it and make a great map. You could be a total noob like me with no interest in game development or programming yet still be interested in editor and make some good maps.

2- It was near impossible to promote your map, Apparently the system they had in place only featured the top played map so It was quite hard to promote a new map while maps with a lot of player had a huge moat and kept on attracting all the players.

3- Price of Starcraft II, it did not help that Starcraft II was expensive while other moddable games like dota 2 were free. Most people also did not feel the need to pay for Starcraft II just for the mods where they had it in Warcraft 3.

4- Blizzard's Dota BS: Dota not going to Starcraft and instead becoming Dota 2 hurt Blizzard badly. Dota was the major player base of Warcraft and the symbol of the modding community. So when Icefrog approached Blizzard and asked for partnership I've heard Blizzard's Reply to him went something like this: "hahahaha, Do you honestly think we the pure and holy Blizzard developers would ever affiliate ourselves with a low life outsourcing filthy modder like you? Hell no! Now go remake Dota in Starcraft II engine and boost it's sales and popularity for free just like you did with Warcraft 3 you pet slave"

Obviously Icefrog was mad so he rightfully went and made dota 2 with valve who actually appreciated importance of mods. Blizzard Lost hundreds of millions in $$$ by losing Dota so Blizzard's Activation overlords were furious and sued Valve like a cry baby which lead to nothing. They made a HoTs or something which was pathetic in comparison to Dota II and League in terms of popularity. Blizzard then rigged thier EULA with Starcraft II to ensure they own everything made in it. The whole thing showed the power of mods in gaming industry but also showed modders if you mod a game for Blizzard you get nothing in return for your efforts and Blizzard will try to steal all the credits. This discouraged very good modders from attempting to develop mods for Blizzard. I believe Legion TD went on steam as well while a lot of TDs went with Dota II

5- All that in point 4 was at time where you had dota II for modding and unity and unreal engine where on the Rise. Dota even added a system to pay and support the modders. You see when Warcraft 3 game out, it's editor was quite huge cause Game creation engines like Unity were not that famous yet. But at the time of Starcraft II there won tons of other options for making games. So basiclly there was not any point to Starcraft IIs editor apart from access to Starcraft's copyrighted content that made Starcaft IIs editors differentiate from other game editors.

6- HD Models were part of the reason but were insignificant in comparison to others. By that logic no one should have even touched Dota 2 cause it does not look blocky and cartoonish like Dota Allstars.

Remember average game age is like 32 something so there are a lot of people who will think of buying Warcraft. It's true the fans will buy it but also there a lot of other old gamers who don't know about Warcraft. For example I never knew about age of Empires. Looking at it, I'm not interested in playing Age of empires 2 cause it just looks like trash. However I'm keen and plan on buying Age of empires 4. There is still competition out there between RTSs. Looks matter a lot when it comes to advertisement of a game.

I know this might make you think well like this then It's hopeless for Warcraft remake mods now after your points. Not entirely, It's true there now far better engines for creating games like TDs instead of using the WC3 remade editor. But the simplicity of WC3 editor and most importantly it allowing access to Blizzard's copyrighted assets such as sounds and models will give it an advantage. This will incentives Players who not wanna be game Devs to make some cool games. Plus I know a lot people disliked how the entire models and sounds changed when Dota allstars became Dota 2. The Warcraft Characters and sounds will be give the players some sense of familiarity as well.

But what about Blizzard's massive distaste for Mods and the map making community? Well When it comes to that I think Activi Overlords love for money already has and will continue over power Blizzard's hate for map makers. Monetizing and supporting mods is becoming more common and it has already happened for Warcraft 3 in China and Warcraft 3 is booming there because of it. Their map making community is already far far better than it was ever in here. I will showcase Netease platform soon once i finish the video for it so you can see how they manage to do it properly.

I agree with you,thats why i must quote you . They screw the thing . I will tell you what blizzard did to me . Last time i played warcraft actively,with passion was 2010 (i was mainly custom games player) . Honestly i was overdosed with game,i began to dream about HD warcraft,i called it warcraft 4 in that time.

Then Heroes of Newerth and Dota 2 came out,huge moba projects something to replace all HD needs of old dota. Guess what ? Huge disapointment , i left game world totaly , i didnt move anywhere (i tried hon but it has no blizzard style,ah and dota phew even worse)

This is how they killed me,all my hopes . I saw that game called HOTS ? Dissapointed.
I saw armies of azeroth and reborn 2-3 years ago then something gave me hope.
Unable to play all custom maps,try Lordaeron after math for example with mod = put me in deep coma,half dead.

Recently i started playing 2 game before sleep,with mod activated,JUST CAUSE I AM BORED as hell, i dont enjoy it.

I will never play warcraft 3 with passion again, blizzard totaly killed me. When total conversion 100% of WAA or chinese The storm is coming is done = i will MAYBE try = but seems i will be killed twice,this time forever when that happen.They never tell about dates , but my predictions says it will be 2021,when nuclear world war 4 can actually happen xD
(cause ww3 is actually happening and its towards muslism mainly,NWO agresively revealing on world stage by bombing ortodox christian Serbs,the only white nation in world NATO ever attacked.Just cause they didnt use nukes doesnt means its not a world war)

Last edited:
Level 9
I'm in favor of HD, however with transitions system of maps to HD. The only somes things that makes me be in favor of HD is the graphics and making the World Editor more powerful.

Level 2
I honestly wished for Warcraft 3 with HD models that are on WOW, Campaigns tailored with the WOW lore, improved WE, new RACES, and an improved game engine. Though it seems like a dream but hoping that Blizzard will listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.