• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What Unique things can be made with Galaxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
What is going to be made in Galaxy?

We already have a missile system, damage detection, attaching models to units, fps/tps support, custom UI, physics, etc...

Ok, so what?

Everyone has grabbed these new tools, and done nothing NEW with this?

So my question is to you guys:
What unique things can be made in Star2 that couldn't be made in war3?

Because without anything new and unique, all we got was a graphics upgrade...

Level 11
You can create custom spells, fit with animations/tint changes without using triggers, which is a definite plus. You can customize sounds beyond that of WC3. You can set up custom ambient lighting environments.

Overall, the biggest thing is that you can create far more greater things with much more ease and a higher degree of customization than before. Don't really know what kind of additional things you want to see made.

also lol, custom UI in WC3 sucks horribly in comparison. There IS no comparison, actually.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The map editor is called galexy, like the scripting language.

We are refering to what the editor can do not the scripting language.

Well for a start you can easilly create weapons with cool effects like knockback, slow, permant life degen and stuff which in WC3 required heavy triggering. Atleast I think you can by supplying a non damage effect to a weapon.

In a tower defense, you can do all kinds of advanced tower stuff now unlike WC3. Eg instead of upgrading towers or making new ones, you could add attacks to them.

You can also raise and lower water, aka a flood map.

Level 10
The map editor is called galexy, like the scripting language.

We are refering to what the editor can do not the scripting language.

Well for a start you can easilly create weapons with cool effects like knockback, slow, permant life degen and stuff which in WC3 required heavy triggering. Atleast I think you can by supplying a non damage effect to a weapon.

In a tower defense, you can do all kinds of advanced tower stuff now unlike WC3. Eg instead of upgrading towers or making new ones, you could add attacks to them.

You can also raise and lower water, aka a flood map.

The water thing is def. cool!

I mean things, like the water, that are not possible in war3.

Just cuz we can do physics, effects, buffs, etc.. easier is not really a big deal.

I just wanted to get a list of things that we can all come up with of things that are not possible in war3, that are with Galaxy.

Level 9
Go from map-to-map, using the bank to save/load local data. For a fact, the GUI, at least, looks similar to the WC3:WE, but with a few extensions like the great UI. I think the last few things I needed for the WC3:WE is possible with the Galaxy editor..

Try to post something which is not possible, I'm sure we can find a work-around

u can make metal shine, not just paint some grey and white on a texture and hope it looks like metal^^
thats called a specular map...

also you can sync attachment's animations with the unit's animation...
I'd probably would be doable to make the doodas have an animated texture in one of its material slots and then play that when it rains, so it looks as if the water is actually pouring down the surface...
also i think u now load you maps onto battlenet from where people download it, thus having no mb limit anymore...

@jakecake
well, i'd like to make a placing script inside of the we (like i plan on redoing all my house kits for sc2 and would like to have some kind of script that makes life a little easier while placing all the different parts, would you tell me how to work around that? :p

• Customisable UI (not just skin changes, you can add new buttons and windows and everything now)
  • Banks (save/load like the gamecache but works online)
  • More control over units through triggers
  • Detecting mouse clicks
  • Moving the camera with the mouse
  • Instant keyboard button detection
  • Can detect almost every key on the keyboard
  • Loads more that I have forgotten
Seriously, why do you even need to ask?

Last edited:
i think he wanted to talk with us about freaky ideas...
like nothing of what u have mentioned, cuz these things are "normal" already :p

i understood the theme as...
lets discuss about crazy ideas and check wether they are doable...
whereas i wouldnt think of making a new ui as so crazy, because its standard...
u need a ui for every game

i think he wanted to talk with us about freaky ideas...
like nothing of what u have mentioned, cuz these things are "normal" already :p

i understood the theme as...
lets discuss about crazy ideas and check wether they are doable...
whereas i wouldnt think of making a new ui as so crazy, because its standard...
u need a ui for every game
What unique things can be made in Star2 that couldn't be made in war3?
I just listed the stuff that couldn't be done in wc3...

Level 5
One example would be: a neat Ego-Shooter-Type map
with WASD and mouse controls (like in WoW)
this definetely wasnt doable in wc3 due to desynchs, no event for mouse and wasd...

but not only that, look at the shooters map from sc2... the wc3 engine could NEVER handle that many missiles at the same time and a hp bar like this

I just listed the stuff that couldn't be done in wc3...

yeah, u r probably right, gave the theme a little twist of its own in my head, i think i misunderstood it a little...
i thought that these things arent meant, because they are the standard new things in ge, i thought he was asking for stuff beyond this...
i'm sry :p

Level 2
What I've been trying to make is a hack & slash game. This is not hard. It works like an fps but with simple melee attacks. The hard part is making this smooth. How do you get the animations to flow nicely and how do you make sure you can attack while moving or while jumping? I think what you need for this is simply a model with lots and lots of animations, but who's going to make that?

Level 4
You can make epic bosses with challenges to complete, like a terratron with hard points to destroy as you climb with a marine or marauder, and you constantly get attacked by it. That would be awesome!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In WC3 you could easilly have thousands of missles at once with no lag. Custom missles are a different story and so ignoreable due to their stupidly low efficency.

SC2 can also have thousands of missles just like WC3, the difference is SC2 ones can act smarter and do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.