• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What the fruit happened to the respected user award?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Troll is a troll for everybody, while respect isn't. Someone can respect a certain person, while someone else might not. Trolls don't vary that much, it's just how you perceive them(annoying, funny, insulting...) that is relative.

In any case, I think no type of such award should be given because it should be a community award, and not the award that Ralle and current administration staff give out.

As for why was it removed, you will probably never find out.

Wouldn't that just be the moderator nine cases out of ten?
Not necessarily.
I (and probably -Kobas- as well) would never get the excellence award first, there are a lot of other talented mappers in the maps section. And looking through the other sections it's almost the same case, just look at Ampharos_222, Dionesiist, Magtheridon96, Spinnaker, ...
You don't really become a moderator just because you're the best mapper for example, but mostly because you're skilled enough and also active enough.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

/me mounts high horse.
No, wait, I'm scared of heights.

Just shooting in that trolls can be respected as well.

Vermillion, if they don't have it in them to earn a Respected User Award, they won't earn it. It's not like the general populace of disrespectful users would bring the standards of the award down. Regardless, this isn't about having the reward or not, it's about removing them and not telling anybody why.

Level 11
Yeah, but not everybody will be respected by everybody. And since it's a community award it would be very hard to find someone that is respected enough by a majority of active users who know something about hive (been here a while).

And for individual opinions we have reputation points.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Yes, but most trolls should not be respected, because, quoting HINDYHat, «some of the trolling that goes on around here really is in bad taste»; the oldschool troll that actually gave you a laughter is long gone. Nowadays, most people get off at making others feel like crap.

EDIT: And what's most astounding is that this kind of people will actually get the award.

Last edited:
Level 34
Just shooting in that trolls can be respected as well.
They shouldn't be. There's a difference between satire/sarcasm/a good joke, and trolling. The intent of a troll is to upset people, the intent of someone who is funny, is to make people laugh.

Yes, but most trolls should not be respected, because, quoting HINDYHat, «some of the trolling that goes on around here really is in bad taste»; the oldschool troll that actually gave you a laughter is long gone. Nowadays, most people get off at making others feel like crap.

EDIT: And what's most astounding is that this kind of people will actually get the award.

This is exactly what I mean, there are no decent trolls here. And funnily enough, I haven't seen any of them say a single thing since this came up.

It's for the best, I'm sure.

Level 16
Just wanted to point out, when some of the guys in this thread are saying 'trolls are respected', it's more as in 'trolls will get the new whatever award, just like some of them managed to get the respected user award'.

Respect is something huge, some of them are tolerated in here, some others might think those trolls are funny, but actually 'respect' them? Meh.

Just saying I agree with Rui, no matter what new kind of awards we have for 'deserving/respected/whatever' users are, some people who don't deserve them will always end up having them. This may be a self-answer to what happened to the respected user award, being gone because too someone realized the award got tainted in away(?), but this is still to be confirmed.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Yes, but most trolls should not be respected, because, quoting HINDYHat, «some of the trolling that goes on around here really is in bad taste»;
Then don't give them the award in the first place, or optionally just strip them of it. I don't see how this is grounds for collective punishment.
the oldschool troll that actually gave you a laughter is long gone. Nowadays, most people get off at making others feel like crap.
I say the general impression changed. People have been assholes since time immemorial, it's only quite recently that everyone, whether they expressed some seriously stupid and bigoted opinion or said "fuck" a few times too many in one sentence, were bundled together and tailored the term "trolls".

We are simply too liberal with the term.
<snip>
if they don't have it in them to earn a Respected User Award, they won't earn it. It's not like the general populace of disrespectful users would bring the standards of the award down. Regardless, this isn't about having the reward or not, it's about removing them and not telling anybody why.
I'd just like to quote this for emphasis.
Yeah, but not everybody will be respected by everybody.
That's implicative. It also speaks volumes as to why the award didn't require a supermajority.
And since it's a community award it would be very hard to find someone that is respected enough by a majority of active users who know something about hive (been here a while).
Depends on the criteria. Are you looking to show dedicated users some courtesy, or by a plenary vote crown the next superman? I really don't think that expressing gratitude should have to be done so formally. Especially not by the results of a public vote.
There's a difference between satire/sarcasm/a good joke, and trolling. The intent of a troll is to upset people, the intent of someone who is funny, is to make people laugh.
That's a peculiar way to put it.

Ideally satire is held up to shame and ridicule the target audience into some inclination of regression. It's by default intended to be provocative. In satire, sarcasm (irony) is militant. Do I really have to account for the part humor inherently plays in satire? I say trolling can be held up correspondingly, in all three regards.

To me, you just pointed out that bread differs from butter, cheese and topping.
no matter what new kind of awards we have for 'deserving/respected/whatever' users are, some people who don't deserve them will always end up having them.
I don't see how, actually. It's all very dependant on how you define "deserve" - or rather who defines it.

Level 34
Ideally satire is held up to shame and ridicule the target audience into some inclination of regression. It's by default intended to be provocative. In satire, sarcasm (irony) is militant. Do I really have to account for the part humor inherently plays in satire? I say trolling can be held up correspondingly, in all three regards.
Satire uses wit to make a point, albeit by ridiculing; while trolls use tired out memes and general annoyance to cause an emotional response from others. The only goal is their own amusement. We've digressed though, I apologize.

Level 11
Depends on the criteria. Are you looking to show dedicated users some courtesy, or by a plenary vote crown the next superman? I really don't think that expressing gratitude should have to be done so formally. Especially not by the results of a public vote.

How would you chose who deserve the award? It's not fair that only a handful of people (admins) decide who gets it, because then its worthless.

Level 30
I wonder why I never got a respected user award.
Do you guys not respect me? : /
Am I still considered a troll?

@Hailfireer: I'd rather have the admins decide than the public. Especially if it keeps you from casting your vote.
No, but seriously, the admins are entrusted with this site by Ralle. They know what's going on in the sections better than anyone else. This respected user award isn't about the respect someone gets from the members of the forum. It's just a "thank you" from Ralle and the staff for being a helping hand.
Also, suggesting that the admins would cast a corrupted vote is downright ridiculous, which is kinda what you're doing here. Unless you're saying that the admins are incompetent of choosing a good respected user?

Level 37
What if we all start to ask if we might get that award?

Can you, can you, can you please give me the next respected user award? I'm so respected! Please give me that award. Oh lord please give me that! I really need it! It means everything to me! I mean everything! Give it to me! Without it, I'm nothing. Give it now!

Level 11
Again.
Because some people are just generally considred as absolutely awesome, and everyone(e.g a majority) respects them.
Examples: VGsatomi, Wolverabid, Kimberly, Frankster.

I never talked to Vg and wolv so I don't know em, I wouldn't agree on kimbo, only agree on frankster.

Level 49
I never talked to Vg and wolv so I don't know em, I wouldn't agree on kimbo, only agree on frankster.

'Respected' doesn't mean they are nice people you talked to.
The presence of Wolverabid is well seen around the forums, with his stickies literally EVERYWHERE. Old threads also have huge and awesome Wolverabid replies to them.

Level 16
I liek mah lil Devine!

And debode, watch out: you're saying the majority's idea of respected people is the good one only because it's shared by the majority :p Main poont of this crap is that everyone's vision of respect is different, just like everyone's vision of WHO's respected is different.

Oh and, we've been off-topic for like 2 pages now, the original question still hasn't been answered (and probably never will be) so I guess this should be closed. It's better to make another thread if we want a shitty discusdion about who deserves/deserved an award that isn't anymore.

Level 31
Who were these "trolls" that got the award? I assume the majority of you are talking about me, being as I tend to tell it like I see it, and people like to call people who disagree with them trolls.

I've said at least 5 times now, TAKE MY AWARD AWAY FROM ME. That isn't the point of this thread. I really couldn't give a shit if I have one or not. My problem is that you used that to justify taking it away from everyone else.

Seriously. If you don't like that I got one, then just take it away. But don't fuck everyone else over... That's just stupid.

Why the fuck did this thread turn into: "DEFINING TROLLS: VOLUME 1"

Level 11
Bob, if your hoping that someone will answer why was the award removed, stop. It's not gonna happen, unfortunately.

Level 12
I am fairly sure he is hoping that this wouldnt continue to be a debate about ''WHAT IS A TROLL?''other than a miserable little pile of idiocy or awesomeness, but enough of that (+ reference), instead of what it was meant to be (other than the fact that nobody wants to answer the other side of the...'argument' about some parts, in this case the award being removed), like the rules say(?)
OR to something more revelant.

in other news:

inb4locked/trashbin.

Level 34
It was deemed that the award in its current form made no sense (was given away prety randomly) and thus it was removed.

It might come back in the future if its allocation gets revised but that still means many people who used to have it might not get it back.
Was this decision made by one person, or the staff as a whole? The only problem I see is that very few staff knew what was going on.

Level 35
from what i've heard, the decision was made by one person without consultation, and nobody knows who that person was.
primarily because they haven't owned up to it.

which begs the question: why hasn't these been reversed?
it was done without staff consultation, whoever did it isn't owning up nor giving reasons (from what i understand), what more do we need?
give them their rewards back until the majority of the staff agrees the reward should be taken away, simple as that.

They haven't because everyone would find them 'arrogant'.
No one wants to be picky about a removed award :/ You can see how a lot of people have reacted towards Bob's thread, thinking that he just wants his award back, when he actually doesn't.
Hmmm...so what you're saying is Mr.Bob is the only one complaining? Interesting. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.