• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What Musical Instruments do You Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
We might have had a few of these threads before, but to hell if I care.

My instruments:
Drum set: 5 years
Snare Percussion/Band percussion: 3 years

Gonna start learning guitar soon, as well.

Note: Guitar Hero/Rock Band don't count as you aren't playing REAL instruments :p

Level 10
Trumpet: 7 or 8 years
Drums: 2 or 3 years, maybe more
Singing: 1 or 2 years of lessons, but I sang before I got lessons as well :D

Out of the three, I'd say I'm probably best at Singing, because supposedly I have a good voice (bass ftw) and because its the only one out of the three I do any proper practice for :cred:. Second would be Trumpet, then Drums.

Level 36
Drumming is not about lessons,you gotta have it inside yourself.Like Keith Moon did..

No. Don't give me any of that crap.

You NEED lessons to establish how to play the drumset. Dave Grohl (Drummer for Nirvana, Drums/Sings for the Foo Fighters on their CD's), was self-taught. But it took him most of his years as a teenager just to do so, and even around the time of Nirvana his drumming wasn't very complex at all.

If you look at the best drummers in the world (Neil Peart, Danny Carey) they not only took drum lessons, but they take jazz courses, theory classes of all sorts, and practice for rediculous amounts of time.

You can't pick up the drumset and be good at it, it takes a lot of time.

Level 15
I fully agree and support Brad.dude on this one.

You may be gifted to play, and you may be able to learn without needing lessons. But, if you take lessons from a good teacher, you will learn much more efficiently. You'll waste less of your time doing things wrong. You get the advantage of years of experience at your fingertips without having to figure it out all for yourself by trial and error (read: reinventing the wheel for no reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.