• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What kind of roleplaying aspects do you like in maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm making an DND type RPG somewhat; and i'm wondering basically if anyone has any ideas to make it seem more like DND with rolls and whatnot?

Generally the DM (Dungeon Master) will be playing "against" the other players in most cases and has some control over the world the players face.

For instance the movement system will be basically you vote with your allies for the direction and then there will be a dice roll which determines which direction you go in (6-5 if it's your first choice won by voting,4-3 second choice won by voting, 2 it's completely random, 1 the DM's choice).

The DM type player will have full sight of where the bosses and towns are for the mini-map so the DM can try to get the players to not reach a town or run into a boss. The mini-map will be slowly revealed for the other players though as they discover town locations, bosses, and other things. The DM type player will also have the ability to play as any single one creep until they die (which means a lot when a DM player can control a boss rather than a single unit) and change creeps/destructables.

I'm wondering what other ideas do people have for adding DND type rolls for the map.

Also ideas for types of dungeon master type players as well would be helpful.

Last edited:
Level 7
In dungeons and dragons the movement is not random at all it is stupid to make random movement.
Ok, thanks for the feedback I'll change that then. Yeah i've never played DND but I have glanced over the roleplaying forum every once in a while.

Locked and mined chests and doors sound interesting. Does mined doors mean that doors just appear randomly?
DND can mean lots of things. Are you refering to where as you destroy blocks you get an area to explore/expand with enemies that spawn randomly but also doors appear? Cause thats a type of DND game, Dungeon Keeper esque, but thats not the only type of DND game. (Like are you refering to this style: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...664/hive-keeper-dungeon-keeper-remake-184237/ ? )

I'm gonna read DND rules online that might help. Thanks for the info; and i'll try to make some more changes on concepts. Any other kind of interesting information about DND style would be appreciated as well.

The issue you have with my map is that it isn't really DND, and yeah I agree since i'm not trying to make it completely DND just have some interesting elements/aspects of DND. If I made a game completely DND it'd have the fault of needing a required refree type player which isn't suitable at all for RPGs or MORPGS especially if for say that one refree player leaves or the refree player doesn't do anything etc so I'm trying to make it more of a viable player type that fits in with an MORPG style somewhat as well.

Level 14
when I say mined doors and mines i want to say you can add to dungeons masters the ability to create thoses.In dungeons and dragons the fights are in turn per turn.It is something all warcraft 3 players forget when they create a dungeons and dragons mod.
when I say dungeons and dragons I think to the Roleplay game in D20 system where the game master make the history players play.
If you make this mod turn per turn i will suport this mod but does not forget to make the option for GM to pass in non turn per turn and to put fighting rules on or off

Level 7
If you make this mod turn per turn i will suport this mod but does not forget to make the option for GM to pass in non turn per turn and to put fighting rules on or off

Do you mean turn as in turn for all fighting? Cause that'd get messy with 10-12 players. Imagine pvp where 10 or 12 players are fighting making turns for all those players would be like waiting a month for someone to die(so at least PVP would suffer hugely). The harm that comes from making my map too DND is that it slows down gameplay too much; and i'm trying to create a balance. Turns could be lots of things- At least the movement system is designed to be a turn thing so far(with the ability to turn it off).

(off to classes i'll be back a bit later)

Level 7
That still really does not change the fact that turns would mean really slow gameplay cause of the sheer amount of turns generated if there are a large group of enemies/players. Though I am going to use low stats at start; the stats will stagger depending on player number and difficulty selected probably. Plus turn combat is a bit unrealistic anyways- no one would wait on their enemy in real combat.

The closest to turn based combat i'll have probably is the boss fights. The boss fights will be in phases where the boss will have a time often when its weak( or they will have at least a way to make them weak) along with some dodgeable/counterable type spells/attacks for different phases.

Last edited:
Level 8
Definatly lot's and lot's of units. It's really bland playing DnD and having to reuse gnolls or kobolts for creature and having only grunts and no goblins. Also having a wide range of items that change the way a hero looks is always great such as in Steel's DnD but with more features. Basically, things that add in realism aswell are always great and as I've said, lots and lots of units :p

Level 14
If you want to add dinamism to turn per turn use dnd rules like opportunity attack and surronding. but first of all read dnd rules and you will understand turn per turn can be interesting. also monsters can play in very small time with an AI for assisting dungeon master

Level 7
When I'm playing single player RPGs it's also fascinating to see equipment of other NPCs. It's always like "WOW!!!" when I see some superb items and then I want them too!

Item vendor NPCs will probably fulfill this role. However, I might include extra npcs that have some item lists. I'll think about it because i'm not sure how I want killing town folk to work yet.

Level 6
Yes, in D&D you control your story as player. For instance, a player kills a npc right? Have guards and stuff to add to the RP where the guards basically are told by a chain of npcs and end up coming to the body so before they get to the body in the town or something you gotta get away or hide the evidence so your not taken prisoner or something. But do things like that, also in D&D ANYTHING is possible. You could make Dragons fly around and randomly attack towns and add a lil RP with that. Make a 50ft Fire-breathing frog. Anything is possible in D&D as long as its fun and has a bit of RP to it.

Level 7
For instance, a player kills a npc right? Have guards and stuff to add to the RP where the guards basically are told by a chain of npcs and end up coming to the body so before they get to the body in the town or something you gotta get away or hide the evidence so your not taken prisoner or something.

Ah evidence sounds like a good idea. Maybe a move-able corpse or bloodstains that need to be cleaned up. How to go about cleaning that stuff up might be a bit hard to think of though. Maybe I'll make guards patrol areas and basically have their facing angle reveal if there is an dead villager or villager being attack'd etc and some kind of alarm system for towns.

Level 6
Yea. Its really just all imagination. Like I've said anything can occur in D&D for instance. If you wanna really mess up your game you could make Mario and Luigi pop up and say "Hai Guyz I r 1337 do us a quest for Mario coins!" Its up to you but the example I just gave I would not do if you want ppl playing your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.