• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How long should a players vs bosses kind of map last?

How long should a map where players fight against monsters and bosses take?

• 10 - 30 minutes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 30min - 1h

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • 1h - 2h

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • more than 2h

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I am making a map where 10 players fight forest troll enemies and bosses. Currently I am trying to balance the pacing of the map (how high player heroes damage should be, how long it should take to complete the map). When I tested it took about 40-50 minutes to complete the map, if everything ran smoothly (that is to say, the bosses didn't defeat the players a couple of time etc :p).
If the players fail at the bosses a few times each it might take 1h 30min - 2h.

Now my question is, do you think this is too long? Should I boost player damage with perhaps 40% to make it go a bit faster (however, shorter boss fights = easier boss fights = less sense of accomplishment when defeating it = less fun)?

(PS I borrowed the idea for this topic from TheHelper.net :p so don't flame me for being unoriginal or something ;))

Level 13
depends on how its setup
like at a low level can u fight can have like a 10% or less of beating a high level boss
do u level fast?
how strong are the players and monsters

Level 5
depends on how its setup
like at a low level can u fight can have like a 10% or less of beating a high level boss
do u level fast?
how strong are the players and monsters

All right, I'll give some details of my current balancing:

There are six bosses, at the beginning you can only fight four of them. They can be defeated in any order, but a certain order is recommended. Each boss is protected by a "gauntlet" containing normal monsters that need to be defeated in order to reach the boss. Once the first four bosses are defeated a door opens and the fifth boss can be fought, after the fifth boss is dead you can fight the sixth.

The bosses have 81,000 to 150,000 hit points, different tactics. In my current balancing a player group is able to do about 800-1000 damage per second, however players cannot attack the bosses all the time due to moving around because of boss abilities etc.

Each boss might require 2-5 attempts to be defeated by inexperienced players.

Level 5
Alright, boosting player total DPS by 40% to 1400 made the map complete-able in about 30 minutes if you don't make any mistakes. I guess with learning all bosses etc. it will take about 1h-1h20min (meaning that you can play this map several times and try to improve, since you will get a high score for how well you performed, including how long it took, the faster and smoother it goes, higher the score)

However the bosses are a bit boring because they go down so fast (I will try making them use their abilities more often to make it more fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.