• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is your favourite book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Your favourite books

Yes, I admit it already, I love books and read tons of them. =) Now I want to hear about your favourite books. Not just one book, your favourites from the categorys you read the most.
Here are my favourites.

Fantasy
All books in the series "The Sword of truth" by Terry Goodkind. I can't stop read them when I've begun. And they all hit the heart.

Poems
"Blood Sugar" by Nicole Blackman. She rips your mind apart when delivering truth on truth about todays society. And none can describe a heartbreak better than Nicole Blackman.

Classics
"Doctor Glas" by Hjalmar Söderberg. A book that takes you to the heart of a black mind. What is right and wrong? This is probarbly one of the bests classics out there.

Shortstories
"The metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. With the best first sentence that ever has been written. The question is if you dare to read the pain.

Manga
"Hellsing pt 3" by Kohta Hirano. A good story, good drawings and the best of it all: it's different from the anime, less splatter and more story.

History
"Dynamo - Defending the honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan. If you don't cry when you have read this book.. a portrait of all the men that played soccer and suceeding in beating the well trained nazis.. and what happened to them.

Level 7
Thriller
Stehen King is my favoured writer, but this one is also in my liking: "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman

Fantasy
Tough choise, but I'ld say Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxe (SciFi/Fantasy to be correct) by Douglas Adams... and may I just advertise a lil' bit for the "Don't Panic - Douglas Adams & The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Neil Gaiman for those geeky peeps who just can't get enough of this character (hitchhiker - it actually does not move that well around Adams himself)

o_0 don't think I read that many other kinds of books! So just imagine a heap of titles that are not the "best" or "favoured", beyond those allready mentioned! o_<;

Currently reading
"Pillars of the Earth" (think it is called in english) by Ken Follet... - very unlike his other works, I must admit!

Level 3
My family didn't bought me any books in my young ages, and in grade 1 to 6 we didnt had privilege to have a integrated library. i wasnt really introduced to litterature until about the age of 14, where i had to read john steineck's of mice and mens. oh and before i readed the return of the king from lotr.

but i readed a lot of informative text..i like them much more than stories. when i was young i readed stuff about black holes, armors, space, a lot of stuff about space. i still love reading interesting theories about the creation of the world and all, but i also share my time with anatomy books

Level 13
Sci Fi
the invisible man
A Picture of Dorian Grey
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Fantasy
The Odyssey
The Iliad

Thriller/Horror
The Beast
Jaws
Dracula

Ones where I cant think of the catagory
King Solomon's Mines
A Brave New World

over all, my favorate piece of classic literature is the Player's Handbook (no, not really I can't back that up)

Level 11
but i readed a lot of informative text..i like them much more than stories. when i was young i readed stuff about black holes, armors, space, a lot of stuff about space. i still love reading interesting theories about the creation of the world and all, but i also share my time with anatomy books

...my, you sound so....familiar...

You wouldn't happen to have had 4 previous accounts here would you?

My fav books:

The Warcraft books
Tolkiens works(not just LOTR)
The Left Behind series(it's pretty interesting)
and some Star Wars novels

If I think of anything else(and I probably will) I'll post it.

Edit: I also like to read about mythology, though my favorite is Greek
I also look through the occasional art book(if anyone suggests that I'm Wormy, the PsYcHoTiC squirrels will come after you)
And 2 mangas I like are Negima and Saiyuki
The Harry Potter series is good too

Level 13
because I'm germany many books are, guess, in german. so don't wonder if you don't understand the title

Fantasy (actually, almost 99.9% of my books are Fantasy)

Tad Williams - Otherland (4 books, imo one of the greatest fantasy stories)
Wolfgang Hohlbein - Der Greif
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time (hey, I know the english name, yay)
Tolkien - The Hobbit & LOTR

Other

Bryce Courtenay - Der Glanz der Sonne

different ironical/cynical books :wink:

Level 5
my favorites would have to be:

The Pit Dragon Stories
The Bronze Dragon Chronicles
Most of Steven Kings Works
The Left Behind Sieres(ones i have read)

that is prety much it

i am currently reading:

Mystic Warroir: The Bronze Chronicles Book I
Baal(some old book i picked up at the used book store, can anyone guess why i picked it up?)(and no it has nothing to do with DII: LOD)

Level 7
loool, I never thought I would say this, but Eusira is right about it (tho' I do only believe it to be a fine piece of writing, and not much else), but "Exodus" is actually a great story :p

What ever religion you belong to, you should read it just for kicks :wink:

Level 16
Exodus: Second book in the bible: talks about how God liberates the Hebrews from egyptian slavery by the use of Moses and plagues. Travels 40 years in the wilderness after the whole wall of water incident, teaches the 10 commandments, has to live in the desert for that duration to let the original egyptian Hebrews die off (complained and wanted to kill Moses), then when they find the Promised land, Moses goes to pray on a mountain (forgot name), dies on top of mountain, grave never found.

The End :)

Level 11
Go to the mall near you, go to Waldens(or some other good book store), and buy the WC books! They're very good.

*craves the next War of the Ancients book*

I'm a Christian....what are you guys talking about? Other than reading Exodus?

btw, loroftherings...the next Harry Potter comes out in July.(or one of those summer monthes) I believe it's titled "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince"

*also craves the next Harry Potter book*

Level 22
Hmm alien related books claimed to be true - because sci fi like Star Wars is just too much known and became boring. My favorite for movies is Sci Fi, I dont know about books but the mentioned 'claimed to be true stories' seem much more interesting as well as personal stories than Sci Fi.

Otherwise in the past when I was more interested in fantasy than in sci fi and I used the nickname 'Mystic Sorcerer' I've also read The Hobbit, LotR and the whole Belgarath series of around 10 books which makes it more than 2000 pages..

Status
Not open for further replies.