• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What happened to Warcraft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hey there, citizens of the hive.

I grew up playing Warcraft, I got the game at the age of 12 (2008), and kept playing it until 2016 where I got into serious familial and depression issues. I haven't done a thing since, and I rarely used the internet itself. Without dwelling into much details about myself, I had stopped playing Warcraft for a long time. When I healed and started treading slowly back into my old life, I figured nothing would help me better than enjoying what I enjoyed most, WarCraft and the such, maybe it will absolutely make me feel nostalgic to the good old times and remind me with the times where I couldn't give more than a fuck for anything.

I found out that there is this "Reforged" version out, which threw the Bnet for the classic game out of frame. I said, perhaps buy it, but the ratings were terrible and I got paranoid about whether it could actually kill the vibes I wanted to enjoy. I might sound a little like a Drama Queen lol, but well, one can only question :

How are you exactly keeping up with the Reforged game?
Are people still modding (making maps and resources) for the old game?
Or is it slowly dying as they're forced to play the Reforged game?
At this point, should I buy Reforged?

Level 41
EV9wBxOWsAEWbD2.jpg

reforged tore the heart outta this community

Level 2
Question: What happened to Warcraft?
Short Answer: It transformed into a zombie.
Long Answer: Activision acquired Blizzard then killed Warcraft with a Death Coil. Activision then cast Animate Dead to resurrect Warcraft as a zombie.

I enjoy Warcraft 3 1.31.1 :)
I play "online" with friends and family using Zero Tier (emulated LAN over internet) from time to time, but mostly develop my custom map for fun and play it and a few other custom games a few times a month.

My opinion: Reforged looks like crap and treats the users like crap. Refunded!

Level 8
  Buying “Warcraft III Remaking” is nothing more than buying a bunch of character models, and its update does not improve the performance of the game. On the contrary, the balance of the game has been disordered. "Blizzard" to do so, just holding a dying game to users to make the last sum of money.

Level 12
My Opinion...
The Model are Nice and had a Chance to give the Game a new Modding Graphical Update...
Only Blizzard Sux and fucked it up to fix things before releasing it.. and did false promise to the Wc3 Strategy Community...
We all saw the Models before... so don’t cry about it :p
It could be the Best thing for the Modding Community to Remaster this game but shame on each AAA Developer that it’s the decade of Early Acsses and Unfinished / Bugged Games...

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Battle.net is pretty active and isn't full of empty bot lobbies. It's easier to host games now where the game is hosted on the server and you don't have to open a port.

There are downsides. Things that don't work as expected, many maps that have to be updated to work properly in Reforged. But most of those things can be fixed.

Yet. I am excited. I kind of want to get into making maps again. With the new UI natives (allows you to make a custom user interface, pretty cool) and the ability to use Lua instead of JASS is also really great.

If you have been wanting to play melee, I definitely think you should look at W3Champions. They made their own ladder as Reforged is missing one. W3C is really polished.

Yes Blizzard disappointed all of us because they stopped development before the game could get polished. Shame on them.

Most modders want absolutely nothing to do with Reforged. Patch 1.31.1 is where most of us are staying comfortably in.

This is true for some custom campaign creators. But overall I think people are moving to Reforged. By Reforged I don't necessarily mean HD graphics but compatibility with 1.32.9.

Take a look at these Reforged hosted projects. They're very ambitious and cool:

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness Demo
Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged: Exodus of the Horde

Also, I know that @TriggerHappy is building a very cool map full of custom UI:
[Role Playing Game] - Ancient's Wrath ORPG

The thing is. Blizzard left the game in a state where people can see what it's missing. But all of us who grew up with Warcraft are adults now and more than capable of fixing it ourselves. Is this ideal? No, but many of us care enough to want Warcraft to succeed and supersede Blizzard.

Oh, one last thing. Warsmash. Retera read the tea leaves and decided to rewrite the game from scratch. Have a look at his project:
Warsmash

If he succeeds, we can always build what we need.

Warcraft will be okay. It's time to make the best of it instead of sulk and spread negativity.

Last edited:
Level 9
Does anyone know if there are fewer people playing Warcraft? After Rerorged? And there is another problem even before Reforged. Players are sitting on different versions of Warcraft, which definitely reduced the number of players. I remember how i play with guys from garena, because of this, the lobbies were never empty. What's the use of maps if there are no people?

Level 12
Does anyone know if there are fewer people playing Warcraft? After Rerorged? And there is another problem even before Reforged. Players are sitting on different versions of Warcraft, which definitely reduced the number of players. I remember how i play with guys from garena, because of this, the lobbies were never empty. What's the use of maps if there are no people?

Reforged is played by 10 - 40 Open Lobbys (on the same time) depends on the time and day on weekends its pretty full and you find a full lobby realy fast...
for other versions (no clue)

Last edited:
Level 23
And there is another problem even before Reforged. Players are sitting on different versions of Warcraft, which definitely reduced the number of players
That only affects the playerbase who are not using Battlenet. For people using Battlenet, the game autoupdates before even letting people play, so everyone who plays on Battlenet/Reforged is forced to play on same patch.

I found out that there is this "Reforged" version out, which threw the Bnet for the classic game out of frame. I said, perhaps buy it, but the ratings were terrible and I got paranoid about whether it could actually kill the vibes I wanted to enjoy. I might sound a little like a Drama Queen lol, but well, one can only question :

People who were playing on pirated Wc3 before will likely not move onto Reforged, because taking a group of people who assume something has been free for 16+ years and telling them that it is actually a paid product won't work out well. But the population who played on Bnet in the past more or less all moved onto "reforged", and that is where the majoeity english speaking community is based.

It is probably best though to refer to TriggerHappy's game lobby website WC3Maps to see for oneself the state of Reforged/Bnet, instead of relying too much on what other people think, especially when many of the people who share criticisms about Reforged likely do not play there much, and might not have a good idea of how many people/how many games are played there.

Level 29
I wanna know, is there a problem with Reforged now that discourages me from wanting to play it, like bugs, errors, lag after a time, etc?
There are too many disadvantages at the time when Reforged was released (some of them were removed in the later patches):
-No custom campaign. Yes, this is the biggest problem for Reforged because Blizzard introduced the new copyright rule, which prevents custom models and icons created by non-Blizzard for being usable on Reforged.
-Horrible main menu: The Web UI causes a serious lag because it consumes a lot of memory. Also, the campaign background screen has NO animation.
-Tons of desyncs and crashes when you play Custom Games or Ladder on Battle.net.
-Missing voice lines (happened on the later patches).
-Always-online DRM thing: This one is really bad problem because it affects the single player campaign. If the Internet was disconnected, you'll lose.
-When you use HD Mode (or Reforged), things get even worse: The loading time for World Editor and the actual gameplay can be longer.
-Hacking tools for some custom maps (most notably the ones from WC3Edit.net) seem to not work on Reforged.
That's why I don't want Reforged because of those problems I feared.

Most modders want absolutely nothing to do with Reforged. Patch 1.31.1 is where most of us are staying comfortably in.
I think 1.31.1. is the version that has a LOT of bugs...
The most annoying is the black screen bug (after exiting the score screen) and the broken unit triggers (after loading a saves).

Status
Not open for further replies.