• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What can I do best for my DELL lap top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
So @pyf suggested me to make a thread here so he can help me out with some things about my lap top.

First thing I've done was installing the Warcraft game itself and the programs I need for the modeling. I had several problems though. First I couldn't open magos because of lack of direct X on my computer. Thanks to the @pyf I fixed that. But now I have other problem with the magos. It cannot recognize the textures from the game's mpq. I had similar problems back then when I started modeling on my old computer but I don't remember how I fixed it.

So I want to get the best for my lap top. I asked @pyf what antivirus would be the best for me. What games I could play on my lap top?

Edit: I forgot to mention I have problems with the game's cinematics. I can hear the sounds but the screen is black. I installed it from the same installation I had on my old computer and had no problems with that.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.png
    2.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
First I couldn't open magos because of lack of direct X on my computer. Thanks to the @pyf I fixed that.
For the record, it was because of the (in)famous "d3dx9_35.dll is missing" error message. The one and only appropriate way to fix it is by installing the DirectX 9.0c Runtime, thanks to the official web installer by Microsoft (easier and faster that way):
Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

In fact, everybody should preemptively install it, along with the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2017), and the latest version(s) of DotNet.

But now I have other problem with the magos. It cannot recognize the textures from the game's mpq. I had similar problems back then when I started modeling on my old computer but I don't remember how I fixed it.
Are you aware of this thread already?
Magos and MDLvis ingame textures problem

Edit: I forgot to mention I have problems with the game's cinematics. I can hear the sounds but the screen is black. I installed it from the same installation I had on my old computer and had no problems with that.
This is what you get for dropping Windows XP.
:wink:

Joking aside, this has not been officially fixed yet by Blizzard afaik, for modern OSes starting from Windows Vista onwards. Installing the K-Lite Codec Pack with the LAV filters may be the first step to a solution, thanks to a specific combination of splitter and video decoder.

So I want to get the best for my lap top. I asked @pyf what antivirus would be the best for me. What games I could play on my lap top?
Writing a full answer will take some time.

In the meantime, I invite everybody to please have their say on the subject.
What are your experiences?

Thanks to the @pyf
pyf is also a trademark, hehe
:wink:

Don't be fooled by imitations

Last edited:
Level 50
Thanks for the help. I fixed the issues with the magos and mdlvis. Now it works even if I had copied both of the programs in the warcraft 3 directory.
Then again I have no other problem. I cannot open the model directly by clicking on it. I have to go to magos to manually open the model.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 88

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I can hear the sounds but the screen is black.
Likely unsupported resolution or a temporary bug that will be fixed in a later patch.
In fact, everybody should preemptively install it, along with the Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2017), and the latest version of DotNet.
People really should not be using D3D9 in 2018...
I cannot open the model directly by clicking on it. I have to go to magos to manually open the model.
Probably need to use regedit do change the file mappings. The application must be getting the wrong command line arguments when trying to open the model file.

Level 50
One can do it like one can do for all file extension mappings. Google for details.

However this assumes the program supports opening models via command line. If it does not there is no way to force it to.
I will try something out.
Open Magos with admin privileges > Edit > Register Extensions

done
Didn't work.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Then again I have no other problem. I cannot open the model directly by clicking on it. I have to go to magos to manually open the model.
Open Magos with admin privileges > Edit > Register Extensions

done
Didn't work.
Can you please double check that you have run Magos with admin privileges, as @HappyTauren suggested? That is, by right-clicking on the exe and then by selecting the appropriate option? Please keep in mind that you are not using Windows XP anymore...

Unfortunately I can not help you, since I am a XP user. That, plus I never upgraded to v1.28.x

Maybe there is a solution somewhere in our Magos thread?
War3 Model Editor

But now I have other problem with the magos. It cannot recognize the textures from the game's mpq. I had similar problems back then when I started modeling on my old computer but I don't remember how I fixed it.
Was your copy of the game properly installed on your XP computer? On mine, Magos works as expected as far as I can tell... For the record, I have a Retail version of the game installed, not a Digital Download one.

Likely unsupported resolution or a temporary bug that will be fixed in a later patch.
Does that mean that Blizzard *officially* fixed the "black cinematics" issue on modern OSes at some point, with one of the 1.28.x patches?

With Patch 1.27b, Blizzard fixed four bytes of data in the FMV files. This did not solve the issue afaik.

People really should not be using D3D9 in 2018...
Do you mean that we should all run Warcraft 3 in OpenGL mode, or do you mean that we should all revert back to v1.26a?

Starting with Patch 1.27a, the game now uses the file d3d9.dll iirc.
:hohum:

I am so confused...

In the meantime, I invite everybody to please have their say on the subject.
What are your experiences?
Hey come on people, don't be shy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.