• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best running parts for the lowest price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I need a new computer... BAD:neap: So I am attempting to buy computer parts and build up a computer. I'm not going all out like what people are posting on dream computer thread lol. But I do wan't an above average running speed.
Honestly I know very little when it comes to the parts themselves. When I get the parts my uncle is going to help me build it, like he does for everyone in the family.
I'm paying for this outta my own pocket:)necry:) with a job only over minimum wage.

So like the title says I need to get the best(on average) parts, for as little price as possible. I wanna try to play Crysis so hopefully I will be able to play it on this computer atleast on the low setting lol.
Also on a side note, i'd like to get a good anti-virus if it's not too much. I know Panda anti-virus is good, only one virus has ever evaded it on my other computer but then through an update it was zapped.

Some basic guidelines. Atleast want to have 70+GB(talking two hard drives)
I doubt in my price range, but if I found cheap enough a liquid cooling system. But probly just have to cut some fans in the side.
Going to need a new monitor, like a 15inch. I heard LCD's aren't good for gaming but I dunno for sure.
Everything else I don't know alot about and I just usually call up my dad or uncle for some info on these lol.

Also I'm not asking for people to search this stuff for me, thought'd i'd post some things I like incase someone has seen them for a cheap prices recently. If I can just get some links to sites I can do the searching myself ^.^

I've checked ebay and some random google sites.. but so far what i'm seeing scares me. I'm expecting to have no other spending money on my checks, good thing i'm not 18 and havn't moved out yet lol.

Level 15
I need a new computer... BAD:neap: So I am attempting to buy computer parts and build up a computer. I'm not going all out like what people are posting on dream computer thread lol. But I do wan't an above average running speed.
Honestly I know very little when it comes to the parts themselves. When I get the parts my uncle is going to help me build it, like he does for everyone in the family.
I'm paying for this outta my own pocket:)necry:) with a job only over minimum wage.
You are probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this, mainly because everyone has a different definition for a "midrange" computer.

So like the title says I need to get the best(on average) parts, for as little price as possible. I wanna try to play Crysis so hopefully I will be able to play it on this computer atleast on the low setting lol.
Also on a side note, i'd like to get a good anti-virus if it's not too much. I know Panda anti-virus is good, only one virus has ever evaded it on my other computer but then through an update it was zapped.
You can try AVG Free anti-virus. It is not only free, but decently good at virus protection as well. Crysis requires a fair amount of graphical processing power to run so don't expect to run it at high quality unless you spend a fair amount of money on the computer.

Some basic guidelines. Atleast want to have 70+GB(talking two hard drives)
I doubt in my price range, but if I found cheap enough a liquid cooling system. But probly just have to cut some fans in the side.
Liquid Cooling is not necessary, and will waste some of your money. Don't go for it if you are trying to save money. Use the money instead for better parts. :smile:

Also, just get a single 250GB or 320GB hard drive instead. It will be a lot more cost-effective than getting two 80GB drives.

Going to need a new monitor, like a 15inch. I heard LCD's aren't good for gaming but I dunno for sure.
Everything else I don't know alot about and I just usually call up my dad or uncle for some info on these lol.
LCDs are not bad for gaming if you get one with good response time. Look for one with 8ms response time or less (4ms GTG or less). The lower the number, the better. Also, you should consider at least a 17 inch screen, as they are not much more than 15" and generally a lot nicer. 19 inch screens have also come down in price a lot.

Also I'm not asking for people to search this stuff for me, thought'd i'd post some things I like incase someone has seen them for a cheap prices recently. If I can just get some links to sites I can do the searching myself ^.^

I've checked ebay and some random google sites.. but so far what i'm seeing scares me. I'm expecting to have no other spending money on my checks, good thing i'm not 18 and havn't moved out yet lol.

Well, you should expect to spend at least $400 USD (not including the monitor). That said, if you can give us an idea of how much you can spend, then it will help us make a better suggestion. :smile:

Level 11
Well I'm still saving for this but probly at the max, i'd like to spend around $1600, but anymore I'd have to continue saving into the summer, and i'd like to have the computer around the beginning of it, so I have something to do, since dial-up limits my possibilities i'd buy offline games to play.

You are probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this, mainly because everyone has a different definition for a "midrange" computer.

sorry was having ah ard time describing it... still kinda am but with my spending limit that should help a little.:grin:

You can try AVG Free anti-virus. It is not only free, but decently good at virus protection as well. Crysis requires a fair amount of graphical processing power to run so don't expect to run it at high quality unless you spend a fair amount of money on the computer.

Crysis i'm not hoping to run on the high end lol.
I'm willing to spend a few bucks on anti virus, ecspecially if it's like Panda. I had avg and panda on same comp(dad is crazy on anti virus) and Panda proved far more powerful, but for a free one AVG is good.

Liquid Cooling is not necessary, and will waste some of your money. Don't go for it if you are trying to save money. Use the money instead for better parts.

Also, just get a single 250GB or 320GB hard drive instead. It will be a lot more cost-effective than getting two 80GB drives.

they make 320gb drives:razz: How much would it cost. what's better one drive or two? I've heard two... but again I heard this from others and could be wrong.

LCDs are not bad for gaming if you get one with good response time. Look for one with 8ms response time or less (4ms GTG or less). The lower the number, the better. Also, you should consider at least a 17 inch screen, as they are not much more than 15" and generally a lot nicer. 19 inch screens have also come down in price a lot.

wonder if 19" lcd would bt my computer stand, it has like levels, so a roof like thing above where the monitores sit. 17" would be good though, i'm used to them.

Well, you should expect to spend at least $400 USD (not including the monitor). That said, if you can give us an idea of how much you can spend, then it will help us make a better suggestion.

gave the price i'm hoping to spend no more. Yeah I mean altogether also, monitore+tower i'm hoping not to pass $1600.

Level 15
For $1600 USD, you could actually build a very nice machine, one that could run Crysis at full quality. You could build a good machine for a lot less than that; however, by the time you finish saving for it, all the computer parts will be newer and cost different amounts. :wink:
they make 320gb drives:razz: How much would it cost. what's better one drive or two? I've heard two... but again I heard this from others and could be wrong.
320GB SATA drives currently cost about $60 to $80 USD. Having 2 drives isn't a huge benefit over having only one unless you want to run RAID or have an interestingly high I/O requirements.
gave the price i'm hoping to spend no more. Yeah I mean altogether also, monitore+tower i'm hoping not to pass $1600.
Well, I can give you specific part number, but again, things will change over the next few months before summer.

If you want some general suggestions:
CPU:
Get an Intel Core 2 Duo (don't get a Quad core because it will be more money for something you won't end up using) from one of these models:
- E6750
- E6850
- E8200
- E8400
- E8500

RAM:
Get 4 GB (2 x 2GB) of DDR2-800 RAM, lower latency (CL4) is the best, but CL5 is fine too

Video:

Right now, I would look at getting one of the following video cards:
- GeForce 9600GT
- GeForce 8800GT
- GeForce 8800GTS
- GeForce 8800GTX
- Radeon 3870

Power Supply:

Get a high quality power supply something in the 400 - 600W range. Here are some reliable brands/models:

- Antec (Earthwatts models)
- Corsair HX
- PC Power and Cooling
- Silverstone
- Coolermaster (RealPower models)
(Read reviews for other suggestions, there are other good companies as well)

Motherboard:

This one's up to you. I have had the best results with the following brands:
- Asus
- Gigabyte

Some of the other brands (such as Intel) are decent as well.

I would suggest getting a motherboard with one of the following northbridge chipsets:
- Intel P35
- Intel X38/X48
- nVidia nForce 750i/780i

CD/DVD drive:
I have personally tried the following brands:
- Sony
- LiteOn
- Optiarc (NEC/Sony)
- NEC
- Asus
- Pioneer
- LG
- Samsung
- Mitsumi

They all cost about the same price (dirt cheap). They all have a chance for premature failure because they are all cheaply built. :p Choose your poison.

Computer Case:

This one is completely up to you. Pick one that looks cool and that has good reviews from others. Getting a mid ATX case is your best bet, and DON'T get one that comes with a power supply unless it is a good one among the brands I listed above. If there are too many choices, take a look at these brands:

- Coolermaster
- Thermaltake
- Lian Li
- Antec

Although there are others that are good as well...

LCD Monitor:

There are so many choices, that you can research this one on your own.

As a hint, I really like the following brands:
- Samsung (currently have purchased about 6 of them so far for myself/family/friends)
- Viewsonic

I have heard some good things about Acer and LG as well. Again, there are many good brands. Remember to pick one with a good response time (the smaller the number, the better generally) and a good contrast ratio (700:1 or greater is the best).

Operating System:

Get Windows XP (or Vista if you like torture). 32-bit is fine, although you will need a 64-bit OS to use the full 4GB of RAM. You can pick up an OEM copy of Windows XP (before June 30th) for cheap if you order it along with all the other computer parts, or know where to look.

Well, there's a brief overview. If you need any further advice, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Level 11
Omg... you are soo awesome... can you get Windows XP as a 64 bit, I really don't want to buy XP cause eventually, althought it will take a long time, vista will be most used. But at the moment I know it sucks for alot of reasons, but one day I'll have to switch which will erase everything I dl'ed lol and to transfer it out will take forever.

Having 2 drives isn't a huge benefit over having only one unless you want to run RAID or have an interestingly high I/O requirements

yeah... w/e that means lmao.

I will look up these parts on google, try various sites etc etc, but if anyone still knows a good site too look at i'm all ears... all eyes since writing... bad joke:hohum:

Level 15
Omg... you are soo awesome... can you get Windows XP as a 64 bit, I really don't want to buy XP cause eventually, althought it will take a long time, vista will be most used. But at the moment I know it sucks for alot of reasons, but one day I'll have to switch which will erase everything I dl'ed lol and to transfer it out will take forever.

yeah... w/e that means lmao.

I will look up these parts on google, try various sites etc etc, but if anyone still knows a good site too look at i'm all ears... all eyes since writing... bad joke:hohum:
Yes, you can get XP Professional 64-bit. Vista 64-bit is also available as well.

I personally buy computer parts from www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com , although www.tigerdirect.com also has some good deals from time to time. These are all US sites though, so if you are located in a different location, you will probably need to ask others for ideas about good computer part retailers.

Level 11
Probly I'll go with the XP, thanks for the sites i'll check em out. Newegg sounds familiar, think that's where my dad got his parts for his computer, but I try not to talk to him whenever possible, so I wouldn't know for sure XD

Level 15
I have a few things to add:

If you want, you can get 2GB of RAM (2 x 1GB DDR2-800). It will save you a little money and still provide a fair amount of resources to run games and such.

Also, make sure the motherboard you choose accepts DDR2 RAM (and not DDR3, as some of them do).

Level 11
oh no i'm going for the 4mb of ram, 2gb is what my other computer had, before motherboard fried

A friend of mine, Zieg, told me PCUSA.com is best place for deals on getting good parts. Dunno how true but from me comparing so far it's better.
he sent me this
http://www.pcusa.com/shopKitConfig....4,0,0,5,0,0,2,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
somethings i'm gonna have to change but it looks decent from what i've seen i'm still comparing to other sites but i'm starting to think hes right.
Ecspecially the power supply was a big dif. around 75 on one site, and 160 on another.

edit:my updated list http://www.pcusa.com/shopKitConfig....4,0,5,0,1,3,0,0,0,3,0,0,0,0,5,0,0,1,11,0,15,0,

i'm still checking sites you gave me to compare prices, so far no luck. it's a little over price range... but it's so wonderful I don't want to get rid of it lol. as long as I get it befre june i'll be happy, need that 64 bit XP

almost everything in your list Samuraid is on there, except i went main dif is i went to the 1gb memory sticks 1k mhz/pc8500 X 3 apparently 4gb is overkill and w/o 2gb drives the sticks should last longer.

sadly only found 19" might go somewhere for 17" if I can find cheaper or I might cut my computer stand XD

Last edited:
Level 2
You really should go for a mother board that is going to be upgradable for 6 or 8 years. Look for something with at least 2 PCI Express 2.0 slots. They are twice as fast as PCI Express, and with 2 of them, you can get cheaper video cards if you want and Crossfire them together. A 775 socket will work for awhile, and it supports Intel Duo, Quad, and extreme. You can pick up a Quad 2.66 Ghz for just over 200.00 on TigerDirect. And with a 40.00 heat sink, (sync?) you can reliably overclock it to 3.0Ghz no prob. Also, Make sure you have 4 DIMM slots for DDR3 memory. And watch out for ABUS mother boards, because the ram sticks can get in the way of some heat sinks.
If you can't get a tall monitor, get a widescreen, or measure your hole, and get the biggest one that will fit. Liquid cooling is a waste of money for your needs. Just get a case with four 120mm case fans. And you can even pick up a PCI slot cooler for about 10 bucks.
And if case size isn't an issue, get a full tower case because you can pack all kinds of cooling gadgets in there. (tigerdirect.com Thermal Take VA9000 is a good full tower example.)

Level 14
Indeed. A Radeon 9600 with a 2.66 GHz Pentium D (OCed, of course, to somewhere beyond 3 GHz) with 1 GB of DDR2 WILL run everything playably. (Although a new Radeon 9600 would probably set you back more than a new GeForce 9600, quite possibly..such is the way of the computing world.)

How well do you want to run stuff?
What is your budget range?

And DO NOT get a liquid cooling system. Lots of hassle, lots of issues, and no real need. Heck, I've heard of people running games on core 2 duos without a CPU fan. And without slow down or blowing up.

But definately get a core 2 duo. Best value for money by quite a way. Actually, Samuraid is pretty much spot on. 4 GB of memory is a bit excessive for now; 1 GB is enough atm, and 2 GB would future proof you for a good few years. If you do lots of stuff in the background, though, or don't keep your computer clean of crap, 4 GB might be a better idea. If you have money to spare, spend it on the GPU. Don't get a quad if you're on any kind of budget - get a faster dual core. That is, unless for some strange reason you really want to play Supreme Commander on huge maps...

Level 11
actually I said $1600 a ways back guess you guys missed it. But now i'm set on 1800-2000 USD after some advice from uncle, although I don't like talking to him, and he doesn't like me too much lol.
I don't play Supreme commander lol.

Level 8
Bare bones kits can be very good if you find a good deal like I did. Its just the parts that you really dont want to go over on. But personally I would never buy another computer, just bare bones kits I saved about $400 on my computer which when I bought it; its value was $1000 after I put in a power supply, 160gb hard drive, 9600 radeon graphics card, and some ram.

The Computer is still better than my brothers who paid around $4000 for his 3 years before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.