• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weird visual artifact with custom models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello. I'm currently using both of these models in my custom campaign:
I'm running into a problem when these models appear together in the map. Sometimes during combat, my Draka unit will get this visual artifact, like several spikes floating above her shoulder/weapon:

upload_2018-2-6_16-25-19.png

upload_2018-2-6_16-25-41.png

To me, these spikes look like the shoulder spikes from the Warsong Grunt model, but I'm not sure if they're related.

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen, and what I can do to fix it? Only seems to occur in combat when both units are present, and goes away 5-10 seconds after Draka stops attacking.

Level 10
This may very well be a problem with my model. It was made a long time ago when I didn't know a lot about modeling, using outdated tools. It's very possible that something got corrupted along the way. Unfortunately I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to fix this.

I understand. =( It's a dope model and I'm still going to use it. If it is the WarsongGrunt model that's causing the problem at least that means it won't be persistent through the campaign - I'm only using it on the first couple of maps.

Which of the models is corrupt is the question. Just because the one model shows the artefact, does not mean its the cause only that it is being effected.

in this case it's definitelly tauer's model, this is a known bug, usually happens when gutz mesh is added to another model and the bones aren't assigned to vertices properly, whih causes the mesh to attach to the node with the same id onto a nearby model

this is generally solved by re-rigging parts of the model that cause problems, which I would suggest tauer to do in mldvis/matrix eater

Level 39
in this case it's definitelly tauer's model, this is a known bug, usually happens when gutz mesh is added to another model and the bones aren't assigned to vertices properly, whih causes the mesh to attach to the node with the same id onto a nearby model

this is generally solved by re-rigging parts of the model that cause problems, which I would suggest tauer to do in mldvis/matrix eater

Ah, cool. I had no idea that was the cause. Honestly, rather than trying to fix a decade old model I'd rather make an updated version from scratch :p

Level 39
Since it is broken I would suggest either doing just that and updating it once done, or deleting the model so other users do not accidently fall into the trap of using it and wondering why bugs are occuring.

Deleting it might be a bad idea if people are still interested in using it. I think I'd rather have it sent to Substandard with a disclaimer about the bug. That way people can still use it. The Clan Grunts have always been some of my more popular models, despite being outdated.

Level 11
I've been using the Warsong Grunt for a long time and I've never noticed anything like Jake showed

Level 10
Some additional info about this bug:

It is definitely a bug on the Warsong Grunt model, and in fact does not require Stefan.K's model at all (it's just very noticeable with Stefan.K's model compared with some others).

I have observed the same issue with Warsong Grunts fighting regular Grunts - the regular Grunts develop the same spikes sticking out of their shoulder armor (rather than floating), and those spikes go away a little while after the Grunts are no longer in combat with the Warsong Grunts.

Like I said, I'm gonna keep using the model anyway but there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.