• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Optimization/Compression: Skins vs Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi everyone. I was curious if multiple custom skins or multiple custom models compress better when used on the same type of unit.

In my map, there are roughly 6 different factions that all use the footman model. However, I would like to differentiate them by changing their aesthetic appearance through custom models or skins (I understand there is a way to have both the original and skinned model in game at the same time without causing a problem). But, I would first like to know whether skins, or models, would be the better option in terms of having a smaller filesize.

Level 12
Hi everyone. I was curious if multiple custom skins or multiple custom models compress better when used on the same type of unit.

In my map, there are roughly 6 different factions that all use the footman model. However, I would like to differentiate them by changing their aesthetic appearance through custom models or skins (I understand there is a way to have both the original and skinned model in game at the same time without causing a problem). But, I would first like to know whether skins, or models, would be the better option in terms of having a smaller filesize.

any model size are usually larger than skin size. but there are also a skin which size is larger than models, so you need to choose carefully between two of them, choose a skin is good enough and have a small size, or choose a model which is good enough and have smaller size than the skin.

I always prefer to use skin though.

Level 28
On top of what TwoVenomous said, as far as I know you have to extract the footman model and change their required texture 5 times, then import those 5 different footman-models into your map.
So all-in-all, you need to import 6 skins (5 if you still use the default one) and 5 models (edited footman-models) if you wish to differentiate between them. Then it doesn't become a matter of skin-or-model, as you need to import both.

TwoVenomous' post still counts though: choose your skins and models carefully :).
Make sure the aesthetic value is greater than the file size it occupies.

Level 11
Very true, I will take that into consideration. I didn't think to factor in the various filesizes that can be associated with skins and models in and of themselves. Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.