• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

One skin, multiple models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Okay, I know there are several threads for giving a particular model multiple skins, but I want to know about the reverse.

That is to say, is there a list of models which use the same skin, with different paths? I noticed this with Royal Guards and Myrmidons, saving a (custom) Myrmidon skin under the Guard's file path results in a different-looking weapon and unit (same for the reverse). Are there any other units for which this happens?

Level 28
I'm not sure what you mean... Those were the standard Guard and Myrmidon models. I'm talking about models that are the same in terms of animations (for example, the High/Night elf archer, Shandris, Dark Ranger, Sylvanas and Dark Ranger Sylvanas can all be fitted with the same custom skin, and each is slightly different from the other).

Level 28
^^ Yes, but if you import a custom skin, (once for each unit) and change the filename to match each unit (units\creeps... or Textures\...), each unit will take on the imported skin, but with small variations each time.

Let me try to rephrase my question: is there a list of units for which a single skin can be imported then attached to different models via different filenames?

Level 11
Let me try to rephrase my question: is there a list of units for which a single skin can be imported then attached to different models via different filenames?

There's no list as far as I know
Anyway, it's usually easy to find those models, and most of them are creeps.
For example: Dire wolf/frost wolf/giant wolf... Their model is not the same, but you can use the same skin on any of them.
Most easy way to find those units is to simply open up World Editor > Unit Palete and try one of each unit.

edit: oh wait, I just read through the thread, did I misunderstood?

Never mind, I found them. I'll just have to experiment to see which ones are and aren't same-skinnable (isn't there something about changing the skin on one dragon model changing all the others?).

^ Yeah, that's pretty much what I did.

Only for mature and whelp version for each dragon and their respective portraits.

Status
Not open for further replies.