• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Multiple Skins for Models (Reforged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I was just wondering with Reforged having a skin-based system in the game, is it possible to use multiple skins (or even 1 imported skin as well as the base skin) at the same time using the skins feature?

Or are you still limited when you import the skin to choose between the skin you want and the base/other skins that use the same base? I tried looking through the forums for the exact answer to this question but I couldn't find one, so sorry if this is a repost or has already been answered!

Level 6
Thanks for the quick reply! Would it be possible to export the base model and re-import it then as a fresh model in order to use both? I've never really tried anything like that.

Yeah, so if you want to make a model use two skins, you'll need 2 things:

A CASC viewer and a MDX to MDL converter which you should be able to find links for on this site.

Use the Casc viewer to find the model you want to have different skins for e.g. the Footman and export the Footman.mdx and Footman_portrait.mdx and change the names to say "Footman2.mdx" and "Footman2_portrait.mdx"

Then convert them to .mdl with the converter this will allow you to open them in text format. Once open scroll down to where all the texture paths are and change it to whatever you want say "Footman2skin.dds". Convert back to .mdx and import into your map.

Change the path of the skin to "Footman2skin.dds" and set the model path of your unit to "Footman2.mdx" and when you place it in game you'll have a Footman model with your skin as well as the original.

Level 6
Will do. First I need to refresh myself on how to import the skins properly in the first place. I haven't imported a skin since... Wow so long ago now, haha.

Just go to the import manage, import the desired skin.

Double click the name in the far left column and set the name to the import path that should be written in the readme or on the Hive Page for it.

You can also check the import path in the CASC viewer manually but that's a little more effort.

E.g. for the Reforged Footman's main skin it would be

Units\Human\Footman\HumanFootman_main_diffuse.dds

I think or something like that.

Level 6
Thanks again! Yeah I just wasn't used to the whole dds thing, I was back in the .blp but once I realized it was just a change there I got it sorted. :D Now to try the above to get both models in here. Will edit this comment and let you know how it went!

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't had time to get on here for a bit but THANKS AGAIN the steps above were trickier than I expected and took me a few days to get right but I was able to do what I needed! <3

Last edited:
I was just wondering with Reforged having a skin-based system in the game, is it possible to use multiple skins (or even 1 imported skin as well as the base skin) at the same time using the skins feature?

Or are you still limited when you import the skin to choose between the skin you want and the base/other skins that use the same base? I tried looking through the forums for the exact answer to this question but I couldn't find one, so sorry if this is a repost or has already been answered!
Not sure i read your question correctly, but I think the warclub ability is what you are looking for: it allows changing a texture of a model that was set to an replacable ID ingame.

I use this approach to replace armor textures of heroes in Gaias Retaliation.

There are some limits however:
- you can only replace one texture per unit
- the unit model must be edited in a way to allow for that to work, so it doesnt work with unedited models
- the textures used must all have the same wrapping, so you cant apply a demon hunter skin to a footman without it looking weird.
You can however apply a different footman skin to a footman.

Status
Not open for further replies.