• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skin Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have a very quick and likely easy to answer question.

I'm currently making a map that I want to use various Villager Models for.

A lot of the one's I want to use are skins, but I want to use those AND keep the models that are already in the map (the blizzard made ones). When I import the new Villager skins, they will replace the old skins if i set the path to units/critters/villagerman or whatever it is.

My question is, is there a way to import skins to other models that I don't need to use? If not, then is there a way to have multiple villager skins in the same map?

Level 6
Remarkably simple as I figured and hoped it would be. Thank you very much! +rep

EDIT*

So I've downloaded Magos Model editor and installed a missing .dll file, Opened the villager model, applied the skin to the Blizzard VillagerMan Model and saved the new one as "VillagerMan3.mdx"

When I import it into my map, the file size shows it's there as 177kb, but when applied to a model it doesn't show up and I get the infamous green checkered box. Any guesses why? Also, I saved it after I imported and closed the map then reopened before using the model.

I've imported plenty of models before, but I've never actually applied a skin to a model and then imported it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Level 6
How to apply a custom skin? You are in the Texture Manager, and then what? I imported the skin, but it won't apply to the model (I know why, but I don't know how to solve it).

After you give the custom skin in the texture manager you have to go into to materials manager and change the first 2 to path of the imported skin.

When you go to the materials manager you will something like 8EWSRG6D in bold black. The first 2 are the materials you need to change for it to show up on the model.

Set the import path to the path of the applied skin. So, if your skin was called VillagerManV2.blp, and you applied it to the model, the new path is 'VillagerManV2.blp'. Then you must change the skin's path ingame in the import manager to the correct path(I assume you know how, as you said you know how to import).

I know what to do if I were just importing the skin, but I have applied a custom skin to the Blizzard VillagerMan model in Magos. This creates an entriely new model, which I called VillagerMan3. After I save the new model, when I import it, it doesn't show up. So the problem is not setting the path of the skin, its the setting the path of the new model.

Level 22
Ok, I've got a problem with using the model as well, but a different one. :p

The importing worked, kind of. The model with the custom skin is displayed correctly in WE. But once I start the game, nothing is there.

Edit: Just restarted WE, and now the model won't show up at all.

Level 6
I believe we are having a similar, if not the same, problem. I still haven't figured out what to do, I would say it has something to do with the path of the imported model, but usually you don't have to change the path when you import a model, so I'm not quite sure. I'm not familiar with Magos, I just started using it a couple of days ago, though I have messed around with it in the past.

Level 22
I believe we are having a similar, if not the same, problem. I still haven't figured out what to do, I would say it has something to do with the path of the imported model, but usually you don't have to change the path when you import a model, so I'm not quite sure. I'm not familiar with Magos, I just started using it a couple of days ago, though I have messed around with it in the past.

Yeah, I don't get it. I even tried saving the custom model with the standard model name, but it still won't work.

You don't have to change the path of the model.
As said, go to the import your skin into the model. Open the material manager. Find every material that uses the old skin. And replace it with the new skin.

But the thing is, we've already done that. ;P
Applying the texture is not a problem. But once the model with the custom skin is imported in WE, it won't show up.

We don't have to import the skin into the world editor since we already applied the skin to the model in Magos, do we?. We just can't figure out why the imported model won't show up after it's in editor.

Have you tried importing the skin? That my work.
YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO IMPORT SKINS. A-L-W-A-Y-S.
The people of this generation don't have much common sense, do we? :/

Dude, import and ATTACH are very different things. Attaching a skin to a model does not mean the skin's data remains inside the model. It only saves the pathing of the skins, which is why you must import custom skins to allow custom models to show.
Yes, I know that when you go into the Texture Manager, and you right-click the pop-up, it says 'Import' and 'Export', Import really means attach a texture pathing data(eg. Textures\Villager), not the actual texture, Export on the other hand, does what it does, so long as the texture you're exporting is in a local MPQ or in the same folder as the model.

Level 6
As I said, I haven't had experience with magos. Thanks for clearing that up for us. I'm with Ramza, it just didn't seem to make sense to have import both the skin and the model, cause I assumed when you applied the skin it would replace the old skin and would stay with the model on import.

Status
Not open for further replies.