• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Import] Question about skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey guys,

I've not used custom skins before and have been playing with importing a few. My question is simply, do i have to chose between the old model and the imported? Or is there a way to keep both?

I already use most of the models i want to also use skins for... are skins only suited to one specific model and path?

Thanks

Level 28
In short: if you import a skin, you can only use that skin.
The default one cannot be used.
(So only 1 skin per model)

To elaborate a little: this doesn't have to be true.
You can duplicate the model, change it a little (so it uses a different texture path) and then you can use both skins.

As an example: say you have a footman and want to import a "Undead Footman" skin.
You still want to be able to use both, though.
What you can do, is extract the Footman-model from Warcraft's MPQ-file (quite an easy thing to do, don't worry) and change the texture it requires (change it to "Textures\Footman2" or something).
Then you have to import both the model as well as the skin, and change the skin's path name to "Textures\Footman2".

If you do this, you'll be able to use the Undead Footman in addition to the original one.

Status
Not open for further replies.