• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Question regarding skin editing on other's models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello guys,

I'm currently working on a custom race for the currently running contest. Now, i found some models here and there, but some of these came with the problem of using a colour palette i cannot use. Now, this particular model uses an ingame texture and i'm thinking about changing that particular texture to my needs. Because i don't want to overwrite that texture in the map, which would inhibit the melle game capability of the race, i would be required to open the model and replace the skin with the skin i want.

My question is that if i need the explicit approval of the author of the model for that. I assume so, because in any way this would be an edit of a model. But on the other hand with would severely hinder overall using skins for models, since player couldn't select one without conflicting with other models (because they would be required to just overwrite the ingame texture). I would really like to have a clarification on that (by the way, i wouldn't mind using a different model, but that question bugged me a bit). And above that, i don't want to pay disrespect to the author of course, so i will of course pm him/her anyway.

For calrification, i'm talking about the technique shown in this tutorial: Add Multiple Skins for a Single Model

Edit: I thik this thread is possibly in the wrong subforum. I won't mind when it gets moved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.