• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I changed Model Skin but not showing on portrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can also overload the file table entry as long as you do not encrypt it or if the hash table entries are just a different folder (but same file name). This allows you to have the same file data registered to two different paths saving space. In simpler terms it lets you use the imported skin for both the portrait and the unit without having to import the skin twice (duplicate data, waste of space) or a fixed portrait (model data, less wasted space but still wasted).

You will need some third party MPQ editor to do this as World Edit is not smart enough to abuse MPQ like that. I do not know of any that support this, but I do know it is possible according to the MPQ specifications.

Alternatively, you can open the portrait model in Magos (or convert it to MDL and open it in notepad). Then import your texture (go to Windows -> Texture Manager) under the path of the regular archer skin. Remove the old one (right-click, "remove" or "delete"). Then you would edit the materials to use the proper skin (Windows -> Material Manager, double click the material reference, double click the material object, and set the texture to the texture you imported). That way, you don't need to import the same skin twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.