• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WE and game ignoring animation tags on Building model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have this very simple building model which I animated with a Portrait, Stand, and Death animations.
There are things which are supposed to only come out during certain animations, for instance the background should only come up during Portrait, and smoke/dust should only come up during Death. These work fine in Model Editor, but for some reason when I import it to WE, it shows both the background and the smoke during its Stand animation too, making it look absolutely ridiculous.

Anyone have any idea why?

Level 8
Your animation times are part of the problem, you should always leave a little room between the various animation times, and maybe add some more frames than 20. (Just removing the portrait and putting it from 4000-5000 helped).

Secondly, the bones aren't assigned to a geoset animation. I'm not sure this is a problem, but for me fixing 'geosetanimID none' to replacing the relevant number always seems to fix things. There is also no visibility assigned to the rest of the building, I suggest you add this and make the entire model disappear at the end of the death animation. You can try and fix the particle emitters like this by adding more controllers. For some reason MDLvis bugged when I tried to mess with the BG's visibility so there is something weird going on here.

In order to make your building selectable ingame you should add a collision object.

Level 8
Alright I'll go and see if I could tinker with it a bit, I thought of doing this very very basic model and animations before going for a more complicated one since I've modeled for WC3 before but I've never actually animated for it yet.

Thanks +rep for your help, I'll keep you updated with this and let you know if it works.

Level 8
Yes, a lot of danger lurks in these 'simple' models.. For some reason, I always encounter something weird in them. I usually base my models off a relevant blizzard model; there are a lot of tiny things that you can mess up when making a model from scratch =\ I also learned a lot from copy-pasting stuff from .mdl files and checking how blizzard made their models. As for the disappearing geosets, bones without a geosetanim assigned seem to always fail for me. I just add more visibility controll points if stuff is still appearing where it shouldn't. Sometimes it needs multiple points to create a controller or something like that. Anyways, you may want to try jk2pach's MDLvis tutorial for animation. It's quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.