Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WC3 modelers to SC2 modelers.

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Tutorials' started by Mr. Bob, May 15, 2010.

1. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sc2 uses color based spec maps? Nice.

And about the highlights, yeah, that's why you'd paint it only on certain parts for variation.

Anyway, I'll add what you said.

Does SC2 plug it's spec maps into the normal maps? Or do they not effect eichother. If the maps aren't plugable, then it would be much harder to make materials..I can't imagine Blizzard being that stupid, but you never know...

2. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I dont quite understand what are you talking about . The NM and Spec map are two different maps. And they do different effects. How you can plug them together ? Do you mean they should make something like one shader with multiple maps ? At least if you look at their MPQ database the NM Spec Diffuse Glow maps are separate. Maybe I dont understand your point of view. Could you explain a bit more please :)

3. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I mean do the two maps effect each other. In most engines, when you put a spec map and a norm map into a material, they plug into each other. So, if you have a blank white spec map on a sphere, with a norm map, the spec map is detailed because of the norm map. I work with Unreal Engine 3 so it may be different...

4. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I dont know how you can put maps into materials in sc2, but it seems to me like a NM in max. You can put NM and additional bump map for additional effect, which is grey scale. So here you put specular instead of this bump.

Or do you mean , when you create a Spec map, you base it on NM ? something like this :

http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Start_a_Specular_map_with_a_Normal_map

?

Do they affect each other. Well I have made a basic test with both maps. Here some pics :
    Just NM
    [​IMG]
    Just Spec
    [​IMG]
    Spec and NM
    [​IMG]
    Different scale NM and Spec maps
    [​IMG]
    Spec map in NM slot
    [​IMG]
    NM map in Spec map slot
    [​IMG]

5. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aha. The pics were what I wanted to see. I was just making sure that everything renders together. Very noice.

The only reason I see to make a spec map is too only have certain areas be specular. The normal map should be able to handle the detail. But, if you want a better amount of detail, detail your spec maps. Correct?

Of course, normally, my nm maps are the ones with the massive amounts of detail. But, it can go either way. Can you change things like gloss and intensity?

Keep in mind, I don't have SC2, so everything in the tutorial is just stuff I've seen in various engines. None of which are RTS engines.

Oh and, nice to know it supports grayscale bump maps.

Thanks for all the juicy brain additions!

6. rober artua

rober artua

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, you are correct. Without specular map, your model will have specularity but it will be random. So if u have a metal box for example. It will be just shiny in places where light hits it, but if you want to make only edges to be shiny, then u have to make a map which will mask everything apart the edges. So when light hits the box, edges of that box will be reflective but not the whole box. For more detail, you should detail all your maps, the more the better. But of course if you want some small scratches on your metal surface, just include them into colour map and into your sepc map and the effect will be nice. The NM is used to imitate some larger details in this case. Something like small buttons or some large bumps. You also can make NM in photoshop or in max. You can convert grayscale maps, or bump maps into NM. I am not sure about bump maps in sc2, coz the original models doesnt have that, but you can make the NM as detailed as you wish and it is not that hard actually. Just good use of photos

I am not much into games myself. I am thinking about it atm. I would liek to work in games company but here in Finland we have only few small game companys and most of our 3d industry is in advert making.

7. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok good. Because that's how it works with all the other engines. :D

Yeah, you should go into freelance modeling. It doesn't matter where you are. Obviously, though, you don't make as much until your 4th or 5th year.

If you go freelance, you'll end up modeling for games. The gaming industry is 10 times as massive as the movie industry.

8. ikillforeyou

ikillforeyou

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How to wrap specular/emmisive/other crap in 3dsmax? what option do you need to select for wrapping?

9. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In 3ds max, It's the same wrap for the diffuse. It's all one material.

10. Ice

Ice

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    sc2 modeling in maya

will there be any way to import and export models in maya 2010? and i heard that modeling characters in SC2 will be pointless because we dont get alot of space and some other problems i donno just a form i read. please inform me or link me to current galaxy editor notes.

11. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  12. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So you just take some texture that you have in normal (diffusive) state and use photoshop/gimp to make it dark for specular, orange, purple using all methods of colorify and such and then combine them? DO you just 'recolor' textures to look such ways then simply combine them?

13. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All the textures get combined into a material. Therefore, they all effect eachother and the all have the same UVW.

As far was what they look like, the tut has all that in it. :D

14. Cardinian

Cardinian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Probably one of the best tutorials I have read in a long time. +rep.

It is especially useful how you comment and let people know the interactions and relationship between the game engine and the effects and tricks which can be achieved in a modelling program, which adds details but not poly's.

I am looking to get back into 3dsmax, and specifically, creating models for SC2. I really hope the 'bones' animation system used by max is recognized by the engine :)

15. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    nice tutorial, but I mainly only read the materials part deeply. mesh and lightning wasnt that interesting to me, because it wasnt that new to me :p
    The animations part was also intersting. Particles will need more information, but I guess this will come once we figure out what the changes to wc3 are.

At the end I will have to wait for some free tools I guess :p

16. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ya, I have no idea what the particles in SC2 are like tbh.

17. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are missing something important about the heightmap! It doesn't work just for the terrain, a more better use for it would be for parallax high which enhances the illusion of depth. There are many types of parallax or displacement. A different and better displacement would be the dx11 tessellation wich tessellates the geometry while parallax only works like a distortion on a flat surface. Keep in mind that these are expensive materials to use!!!

My sample of Sc2 Parallax Height

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks really good, if you join the wrapping coordinates on the edges to make it seamless.

19. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hmn this tutorial is very outdated and based on many speculations.

I would like to point out that Sc2 uses FK. Ik is only an special behavior added to a set of bones which is extremely expensive so it should be spared, unless you want to do some in-game dynamic animations like moving a machine arm, cliff legs, etc.

Particle Systems are way more complex. Their capabilities are like 4 times WoW's particvle emitters capabilities and 6 times Wc3's. They support physics, can be oriented in millions of ways, can use instanced geometry and can be linked to one another to generate chained particle effects.

Ribbon Emitters are also quite a thing in Sc2 since they have been implemented in such way that generating capes, flags and other useful things be easy.