• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

wc3 campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
We have a very unreliable server, but we have to use it because none of us can afford to front the money for an epic upgrade and no one donates to the site anymore to help out. Please bear with us as we wait for our webmaster to come riding in on his white steed to save the day.

Level 14
This issue is in Tim's hand as it is a server-side error. The site has not closed down, so please inform the idiots at the Helper that they should not spread such fallacies. It will be back up as soon as Tim finds the time in his apparently infinitely busy schedule to remember us on the internet. Please be patient and remain calm, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Level 14
Artith said:
but they might as well be with the amount of people with accounts on both sides
I beg to differ.
DevineArmy said:
And why the heck is that?
The sites have multitudes of philosophical, attitude, and modding style differences that bar them from being affiliates.

Hive (and back in the day, Wcsear.ch) and Wc3campaigns have usually been.. far from friends. Because of our varying methods of going about doing things, Campaigns is generally considered to be the "Elite" side of things, a smaller community of more professional modders (which has its downsides, elitism is common), as opposed to Hive and Search that were the more Open communities (which also has its problems).

We're both one big happy modding community, but we hate each-other's guts in the end ;)

Level 14
That isn't necessarily the case. WC3C is just more bent on critical review and catering to users that truly want to improve as a WC3 modder. If you want to get better, WC3C is the place to go, if you just want to be loved, the Hive is there for that. I've tried to give legitimate feedback here in the past, and its only met with opposition from the vast majority, so I've since given up trying.

As a result of these differences in both community and style, people misinterpret WC3C's case as 'elitist' and mistake the Hive's case as 'idiotic.' Neither of these stereotypes are true, really, but because so many people believe everything they hear they persist. If the sites were to ever 'get along' so to speak, you'd have to change the attitudes of hundreds of users. That won't happen, though, so I doubt an affiliation will ever be possible.

That isn't necessarily the case. WC3C is just more bent on critical review and catering to users that truly want to improve as a WC3 modder. If you want to get better, WC3C is the place to go, if you just want to be loved, the Hive is there for that. I've tried to give legitimate feedback here in the past, and its only met with opposition from the vast majority, so I've since given up trying.

As a result of these differences in both community and style, people misinterpret WC3C's case as 'elitist' and mistake the Hive's case as 'idiotic.' Neither of these stereotypes are true, really, but because so many people believe everything they hear they persist. If the sites were to ever 'get along' so to speak, you'd have to change the attitudes of hundreds of users. That won't happen, though, so I doubt an affiliation will ever be possible.

Yea I wasn't intending that post to be 100% true, it was meant moreso as the "This is what people believe". Honestly both sides have a large mix of both, seeing as we share half the community, its just the more active people on both sides are what determines it all.

I love our brothers on Campaigns, but its just not a match made in heaven.

Level 15
Certainly you can overlook the differences between The Hive and Wc3Campaigns, and inform the community that Wc3Campaigns is not down for good. After all, both sites share some of the same community.

Rising_Dusk, how much do you think a server upgrade would cost? I don't want to promise anything, yet, but I'd like to help in any way I can.

Level 15
He speaks the truth Hawk.

Think about it, just about all truly great JASSers come from Wc3c. It's either you can't take the straightforward advice and feedback that's given on Wc3c, or you can. And being able and willing to take the advice given there will make you better.

Level 15
If they have hardware and/or network problems there so often, perhaps they should consider moving to a VPS or small dedicated server, as it would be backed by a hardware SLA and a more robust network/power infrastructure. Such a move would also improve site performance over the current Telepacific (T1?) line they are using.

Cost would be the only hindrance to doing this, which might be the case, since they might get their current hosting arrangement practically for free. (I'm not quite sure of the circumstances)

Level 14
deathcom3s said:
Certainly you can overlook the differences between The Hive and Wc3Campaigns, and inform the community that Wc3Campaigns is not down for good. After all, both sites share some of the same community.
That's what I'm doin'!
deathcom3s said:
Rising_Dusk, how much do you think a server upgrade would cost? I don't want to promise anything, yet, but I'd like to help in any way I can.
I looked up the specifics once upon a blue moon and it was something obscene. Getting something better than what we already have, which would make it worth it, would require at least 500$ to get and start up for a decent period of time. Don't quote me on that number, I'd have to figure it all out again to say for sure. Ralle/'Raid probably know better at this juncture.
hawk900 said:
I think that Dusk has bias. :p
I like to call it experience.
Samuraid said:
If they have hardware and/or network problems there so often, perhaps they should consider moving to a VPS or small dedicated server, as it would be backed by a hardware SLA and a more robust network/power infrastructure. Such a move would also improve site performance over the current Telepacific (T1?) line they are using.
Yeah, a lot of us have been talking about something dedicated. It would require someone with:
  • A permanent place of residence.
  • A solid income to sustain it.
It is definitely something we're considering seriously, though. The trick is finding someone who can match the above criteria. I'd gladly do it, but it wouldn't happen for a year or two in wait for my college graduation and whatever comes after that. I don't really want to wait a year or two, though.
Samuraid said:
Cost would be the only hindrance to doing this, which might be the case, since they might get their current hosting arrangement practically for free. (I'm not quite sure of the circumstances)
100% free. Or I guess at the expense of the site owner working for a company.

Level 15
You estimate it at $500 Rising_Dusk? Hmm, give it a few months, and I should be able to donate a fifth of that. I say a few months because I need to fix my gaming pc first.

And that comment on overlooking differences was meant more or less for Archian.

Last edited:
Level 14
deathcom3s said:
You estimate it at $500 Rising_Dusk? Hmm, give it a few months, and I should be able to donate a fifth of that. I say a few months because I need to fix my gaming pc first.
I truly appreciate that, but I in no way could ever ask you to do that. If you do so, though, know that I am personally grateful.
Toadcop said:
btw whats with the contest ?
It will be extended an equal number of days as the site has been down. I recognize that there are tools on the site that are necessary for some entries, so we must respect that in the contest deadline.

Level 15
You don't need to ask Rising_Dusk, I just want to help in any way I can, and that appears to be the best way I can help as a normal user at this time.

Not only that, Wc3c is a vital resource to Wc3 modding. There's a plethora of useful info and resources there, it'd be sad to see it go all because it didn't have a proper server.

Level 15
I could host ya, check your PM Rising.

No offense meant, but your site is currently down and your listed DNS servers are not responding to pings or queries. You should probably make sure all of your sites are online and stable, and the server is configured completely before offering space to people.

Just my 2 cents. No ill will intended at all. :smile:

Last edited:
Level 1
Coincidence that the motherboard died, out of my control.

And also, the reason I offer hosting is because I'm looking for technical assistance.

Level 15
Coincidence that the motherboard died, out of my control.

And also, the reason I offer hosting is because I'm looking for technical assistance.
That's unfortunate. Hardware failure is no fun. :sad:

What sort of technical assistance are you looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.