• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WC3 Beta: old Hero Info + a bit of item info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I am back with more interesting stuff about old WC3.
Make sure to check out Hidden Soundfiles thread as well.

Heroes.
slk files have interesting stuff, including info about content that didnt make it, was re-utilized and
notes from the devs (that includes Frank Gilson, D(?) Lawrence and A. Bond).

From AnimSounds.slk and hidden soundfiles we can get the glimpse from past versions of some heroes.
Some spells have descriptions hidden in .txt files, there is a spoiler attached to each such spell.
Sometime later i will also attach .txt file with ALL the diffirences between beta and release heroes.
Certain spell descriptions are unused and lay inside the files, I am giving them back.

Death Knight:
Death Pact
Sacrificed a controllable undead unit, but instead of healing DK it created a shield that blocked any incoming damage.
Shield had 50%/100%/150% of target's HP durability.
Unholy Aura
Reduced armor of nearby enemy units by 1/2/3.

Tauren Chieftain:
I moved him out of order for a bit of reasons.
In normal beta 1.00, TC has only 3 spells listed in HeroData.slk (Shockwave, Reincarnation, Command Aura)
But in 1.03 beta MPQ, he has 4 spells and has Endurance Aura listed.
I listed him after DK because endurance aura did exactly what unholy aura does now - MS + HP regen buff.

Demon Hunter:

Skillset from soundfiles:
Mind Lock
This spell is still in World Editor.
Causes targeted enemy to lose mana each second.
Later reworked into Mana Burn, probably.
Soul Syphon
Spectral Sight

Skill from .slk:
Metamorphosis
Yes, metamorphosis has sound file as well, but thats not the reason why i put it in here.
In .slk file, it has something to do with Immolation damage.
As i can tell, and i may be wrong, metamorphosis increased Immolation dps during its duration (it was only 30 seconds tho).

Farseer:
He has six skills in .slk, yea... idk.
Call Storm
A predecessor of Moonsoon. During 3 seconds, lightning bolts hit from the sky, each level increased maximum bolt amount and their damage.
25/40/60 damage per bolt, up to 8/12/16 bolts in 150/275/350 AoE.
Chain Lightning
Earthquake
Farsight
Lightning Bolt

Single target spell for 50 mana and 2 seconds cooldown that deals 100/200/300 dmg. Yea thats not op at all.
Regeneration Aura
1/1.5/2.5 HP regeneration in 900 AoE.

Lich:
Frost Nova
Worked like Thunder Clap and had more detailed effect.
Have extracted this effect from MPQ and it works in the current WE but looks a bit... huge.
Has soundfile for Glacier, called Wall of Ice in animsounds.slk.
Disenchant?
Raise Frost Wyrm

Priestess of the Moon (back then, Moon Priestess):
Skillset from soundfiles:
Moon Glow
Moon Reflection
Searing Light
True Shot

--------------------------------------------------
Skillset from .slk:
Poison Arrows
Searing Arrows
Sentinel

In beta, priestess had Huntresses' version of sentinel while huntresses sent owls that scouted map in a straight line.
Starfall
Trueshot Aura
The Black Arrow

This is certainly one of the most interesting things discovered. Description says it all:
'Damages and drains the life of a unit.
If the unit reaches 0 hit points, the afflicted unit will go into a state of suspended animation,
unable to move, attack and cast spells until the Black Arrow is dispelled.
If the unit has 0 hit points when you dispel Black Arrow, it will die.'
.slk files show that it dealt 50 dmg on impact and 50 dps, 300 mana 240 seconds cooldown.
Procedural effect data says that unit in suspended animation will have '128,0,128' coloration (R,G,B).

Mountain King:
Create Gold Mine
If you came from the Sound Files thread you now understand the joke.
This was his ultimate and we had only a bit of description about it, but I have the full info about it.
Description says:
'Unearths a gold mine from the ground that contains 2000 gold.'
But description doesn't say that your hero's HP drops to 1 when used.
Costs 300 mana and has 240 seconds cooldown (i mean yea, pretty much all the ults had same manacost and cooldown).

Ranger:
We never got human ranger hero, we only got Sylvanas in campaign, thats quite sad.
In .slk, ranger has two abilities.

Cold Arrows

No bonus damage, instead just 25% ATK and movement speed slow for 2/4/6 seconds.
Swiftness Aura
15%/30%/45% movement speed aura. Quite useful imo

Shadow Hunter:
As we know, Shadow Hunter was planned in early versions, yes. But his old version was so much diffirent and his concept relied upon totems.
None of spells have any descriptions, just a bit of hints from devs.
Please note: my speculations are driven out of their names and these dev hints.

Similarities: all spells have 300/400/500 (last one only 300 since its an ult) AoE effect and 100 cast range.

Entrapment Ward
Something lasted for 30 seconds. If i were to guess, this might have been later reworked into a stasis trap.
Null Ward
Maybe a totem that dispelled magic.
Shadow Ward
Had an invisibility aura with 0.5 sec. time to become invisible.
Grim Ward
Has hint about 'maximum number of units being raised', thats 10. Totally raised dead, but in what way?
As Raise Skeletons does or as DK's ultimate? That would be extremely useful to know.

Warlock:
Only hero listed as a Neutral. His only ability is Inferno that is currently utilized by Dreadlord.
We only know Gul'dan, but there are couple of names listed for warlock hero:
Algannnon, Gorushar, Il'Noron, Mikasa and Magalar.
(if you play WoW and know if any of those names appeared pls reply to this)
Weird thing about him are his stats: on lvl1 he has 8 STR, 10 INT and 19 Agility being an intellegence hero. Yyyeeeaaa...

Items.
Some interesting things are in there too, just a bit.

Medusa Pebble:
There's a myth that icon of this item would be later reused in some kind of popular MMORPG couple of years later as a thingy called 'hearthstone'... but thats a diffirent story.
Tho icon is not used in playable beta it can be found online. I tried spawning this item - it is not usable, sadly.
Hidden description:
'Turns the targeted enemy non-Hero unit into stone when used. A unit turned to stone by the Medusa Pebble is removed from the game permanently.'
If i were to guess, he also turns neutral and invulnerable for that, because procedural effect data says that stone unit will have '96,96,96' coloration (R,G,B).
Skeleton Key:
Unusable item with Sammy icon.
'Allows the Hero to open barricades.'
Planned to be purchased at the Thieves Guild. Apparently berricades were planned as something more than simple descructibles.

All items have Types listed for them, apparently this was working when WC3 had more RPG-ish gameplay.
Types are: Amulet, Clothing, Crown, Gem, Misc, Book, Wand, Scroll, Potion a/b/c/d, Ring a/b/c/d.
Rings were more diffirent: ring that worked like a sobi mask, ring of attack (instead of claws), rings of defence up to +4.
Orbs all added 6-12 elemental damage and only Orb of Frost seemed actually useful, since it also slowed down the enemies.

Also, there are Frostmourne, The Heart of Searinox and Kel-Thuzad's Heart (!) placeholders.

Only thing left is some unit info but it has some cool stuff as well, even if there's not that much.

I will provide you with files i gathered the info from and/or attach screenshots of them if needed.
Cya.

Last edited:
Level 21
Cool reading here.
That Lich "Raise Frost Wyrm" is giving me the kick!
and some inspiration actually :ogre_kawaii:

Level 13
That Lich "Raise Frost Wyrm" is giving me the kick
Here's an old screenshot, you can see the frost wyrm icon on his ult position, yea
hope u also heard lich dialogue for summoning the frost wyrm in my sounds thread
(sadly this is not the version i got everything from, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have these UD models)
111.jpg

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I did, right at the beginning of it.

What I am planning to do next:
- thread about some unit stuff
- post beta versions of some models that still actually work in current WE (can't promise you a lot, but some do work)
No I'm taking about in the previous thread, link *to* here.

And we have a few of those models by now (Ujimasa, hidden, etc).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
upload_2017-10-23_1-49-10.png

Ha, OK, let me be 100% overly clear here. I love you but this is getting silly.

~~~

upload_2017-10-23_1-54-54.png

Kyrbi0 said:
Oh man, THIS is great, but you really oughta link IT on the PREVIOUS THREAD, since I almost missed it [i.e. had to search "New Posts", didn't know you had posted, missed you posting it & maybe others will too, etc].

You,@Saelendious , should make a New Post in the "previous thread" (the linked one, the original one about 'beta-hidden sound files'), with a link to "this" thread (the current one, the one we're in right now, the one about 'beta hero info'). This is because nearly all the people interested in this kind of thing are already subscribed to your "previous thread" and would thus receive a notification about "this" thread, rather than missing it or having to go searching for it. Putting a link in "this" thread to the "previous thread" is nice too, but kinda pointless for solving the issue I have previously mentioned.

//EDIT// - I have seen that you have Edited the first post of the "previous thread" with a link to "this" thread, and that's basically what I was hoping for.

//EDIT2// - OK I've carefully checked the post date & times of this thread compared to the previous one, and realized that you basically did it exactly 1-2 minutes after posting. That is great, I'm sorry for being so crazy, but let me just say one thing: Edits don't give notifications. It'd be really cool if you could just throw a little post on the end of the "main" one (the original one, the one we're all subscribed to), even if just to say "hey, I edited the first post with a link to a new thread with more stuff!". It's OK if it's a double-post, it's new information. Posts give notifications, Edits don't.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
i kinda knew that, its simple logic
but i was warned not to post several messages together and it'd be better to edit, no h8 m8 xd
I'm not so sure about 'simple logic'; I would've thought any change to a thread would get some kind of notification (post, edit, etc), but I learned otherwise.

I'm not hating. ; ) Like I said, I was wrong. But I do think it's OK to multi-post as long as you are not spamming & are contributing to the discussion.

Level 29
excerpt from an wall of text said:
Troll Shadowhunter: This particular hero's spells and abilities are based on "wards" or totems that he carries around on his back. That means his spells are always area effect, but never ranged - he always has to plant his ward at the center of the desired sphere of influence.
His ultimate ability, the Grim Ward, allows the Shadowhunter to reincarnate any dead unit, not necessarily his own! It will resurrect the dead beast to full hit points, which is another difference between this spell and, say, the Human Arch-Mage's Resurrect spell. The drawback of the Grim Ward is that it costs a lot of mana and he must walk right up to the dead body to plant the totem. Still, the tantalizing possibility of stealing someone else's non-hero unit more than makes up for the risk. Other wards include the Null Ward, which is an area effect dispel magic. Simply plant the Null Ward in the middle of the battlefield, and no spell casting can go on in its sphere of influence. Pardo also mentioned the Shadow Ward, which will afford area effect invisibility to your own units and most likely any allied units. More than ever before, allied units in WarCraft III will be able to reap the benefits of spells and auras of their teammates. Pardo explained that this makes team play more enjoyable because of the race combination possibilities.
to the wall of text:
alpha&beta info | HIVE
and its addon:
alpha&beta info, the addendum | HIVE

Level 29
Apparently pastes dont display datum of last edit, going through my inbox have found an message around may 2016 telling another user about it, so around that time must have written down the gathered.

Therein may reside conflicting information, thats because had obtained knowledge mostly through examining old pc gaming magazine articles about wc3 during their alpha - beta versions. As the game evolved so does the information provided about it by their developers naturally.
The chaotic lazy person i am, written it all down in an totally throughtrewn order. derp. Looking back at it, probably could have done better.

Your finds are also of interest as havent seen yet some of that information about hero skillz before. So please keep sharing whatever you have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.