• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

.wav to .mp3; troubles w/ LAME / Audacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Okay, here is my...

Problem!

I need mp3 files to use in my map, cause wav stinks out loud.

Solution

Get Audacity and export as .mp3!

Great, only one thing...

Uh-oh
Audacity needs an encoder from LAME...okay...

so i go get LAME, unzip it, get it all out, now, i just have to find the encoder file... it has a name and Audacity knows it already, it just needs to search for it...okay..i open up audacity...

Dilema!
Instead of having a great day, opening all my wav files and exporting them...i get to the export part, it says, go find the encoder! Just this once! And....after i dled LAME, i can't find the encoder :( I'm going to try and re-dl LAME and see if i can't find the darn thing or not :angry:

any thoughts on yall's side?

Level 8
You have to download it separately thanks to mp3's bullshit licensing issues.

Whenever I import an mp3 that I converted using audacity or Advanced Audio Converter, it says 'the file does not appear to be a valid sound file' or something along those lines. Is anyone else having this problem?

Level 36
Usually I only get that when the file i'm importing is corrupt, or if I accidentally try to import a .wma by mistake >.>

Though for some files it just doesn't work. Try finding alternate copies of the MP3, WE is very picky about which ones it likes and which one it wont take.

Level 36
I told you dude, the original file is bad. You have to find an alternate copy of the MP3 in order for it to work.

Read my god damned post next time, and you might find that I already answered your question >.>

WE is VERY picky about which MP3's it will take and which it wont, and i'm not sure why, but if a song doesn't work when you import it, it's most likely because the original is bad, and no amount of encoding can change that.

Level 8
It isn't a fucking wav. It's an SPC file, converted to a wav (via winamp), converted to mp3. An SPC file is almost exactly like a MIDI file, except they were designed to run on the SNES console. I have converted it to a WAV file using the only means I know of (winamp with the nullsoft disk writer plugin), then I have tried to convert it to mp3 using 3 different programs. It plays just fine outside of Warcraft 3.

There is no way for the SPC file to be different without changing how it sounds. I'll see if I can find a different spc to wav converter.

Thanks though.

Level 12
Ok, you aren't suppost to normaly be able to convert Midi files. I know a way because midi files can be put into gradge band, exported to itunes, and then converted to mp3 with switch. I could do this for you if you make them midi files, I'm not sure it SPC files can be imported into gradgeband.

Level 8
If I convert it to midi, it will sound different. I've barely used Garage Band, but I can guarantee you that it will not let you import SPC files.

When you 'convert' an SPC file or a MIDI file, all you're doing is recording what the sound card outputs, so it will sound differently on different machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.