• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
A waterfall I made for a contest on Clan Fol.

Attachments

• Waterfall.jpg
    Waterfall.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 432
Level 18
I like the idea of the Waterfall, but it doesnt really look like one. because to me it doesnt really look defined. try lowering the terrain where the waterfall will go, and that might help, also you can see the map edge on the right side of the pic, and I think maybe some more rocks and environmental doodads on the island would be a nice touch

Level 34
Don't like the use of cliffs,and the waterfall looks weird, I would take famouspker49's advice.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Low quality screen shot.

Also for teraning I recommend turning all your 3D graphic options in your graphic card controle panel to max to make the image appear better since especially with rain, AA is needed.

Also keep the compression low when using jpg or it really ruins the quality of your terane.

Still good non the less although you should have made it blend in more and not have that "the world is flat" feel as you seem to be close to the map edge.

Level 24
It looks a bit plain and not to much eye-catching.
The title of your terrain thread doesnt really match in with the picture because its supposed to be a waterfall right?
So why is the waterfall put a distance away, hidden in rain and fog?
Try to make something eye-cathing at the middle of the screenies next time.
Statues are often very eyecathing, waterfalls aswell but ppl tend to use them alot and that makes them boring to look at...

Else keep up the good work, with some training you might be a good terrainer! :->

Level 8
Remove the cattail looking river rushes and replace with cattails.

(Eh water fall? Enough critic on that ;) )

River rushes look good as "grass" but the cattail thing that is part of the variations - pul-leazzzze. Those are horrible little creatures - someone should shoot them before the multiply :grin:

Also play around with the tinting on the rushes. I have gotten some "amazing" color variations, from a deep rust to a bluish green. Granted by themselves they look scary, but you blend them together and you get a depth of color and life to the "grassy" rushes so they can be used everywhere.

since you are using a green grass you may want to make a few green variations of the rushes - set those semi close together to where they over lap slightly (none of the cattail variation) then take a few of the brown ones and plop them inside of the green - this will give you a "living" cycle of grassy rushes. Dead brown is always found inside of living green.

Use cattails for cattails - they are 3 d and have a depth and reality to them that the river rushes cattail lacks.

Waves - I'm assuming that this is like a swap - there should be no waves.

If this is a river yes keep the waves, but then use flattish water falls spread out over the water to give a direction to the water flow.

I make a customized version of water fall, I extend the max scale to 2.5 and the min scale to 0.1. I also make them "float" I turn off the auto rotation and the auto scale buttons, plop one in the direction I am going - flatten it out to around 5.0 (Z) and increase the X and Y to 125. I plops several together in a cluster sort of a semi circle - all flowing in the same direction. I select all of them and copy and paste and paste and paste. mind the edges are just touching at this point. At bends and curves in say rivers and adjust each groups rotation to flow down stream. Once I have all of my flowing water falls placed I select on hit Shift + Ctrl + ~ to select all of them, then I raise their X and Y to 150 (this causes them to over lap and "blend") Then I use Ctrl Page down to lower them.

If I have a land scape where there will be a lot of water I have my Temp Water Fall which I use to place waterfalls once I get a segment the way I want it I go to Advanced, Replace doodads and replace the Temp ones with the permanent version. This way if in future I want to add another stream or something I can easily select the new one I am working on.

Bubbles work well for steamy mud holes and "hot" places - they do not work too well at the base of a water fall unless they are inside the splash area of the water fall.

I make a customized bubbles with steam, I increase the size to about 300 place a group of them at a variation of sizes between 200 and 300. Once I have all of them I lower them until the pink box is below the surface of the water and the tops of the stream of bubbles barely breaks through the water's surface. The steam rises further and looks like water fall mists.

Bubbles in water in general should always be lowered into the water not bubbling into the air.

Water falls cut into the sides of the earth that they are flowing over - thus at the base are usually chunks of rock, debris and at least a short flow of white water flowing outward from the base through/over the debris.

In this one you do not have the issue of too much water over the falls compared to the amount of water down stream, instead you have an impossibly small hill that is pumping out way too much water.

You either need to greatly reduce the size of the water fall, or you need to extend your upper ground further into the background - giving the illusion that this is just one step along a mighty water course that is cutting through a mountain or is falling off the edge of a cliff on the edge of some island into swamps or the ocean.

A good rule of thumb on the top town view of your terrain when it comes to water falls is that the land that the water is cutting through should look like an inverted V where the wide part is facing outward and the point is at the center of the origin of cascading water.

Level 34
Sorry to hear that. The green water one, Ashenvale or whatever is the best out of those. I like the idea of a river with rapids, or small waterfalls.

Are no imports allowed?

Level 34
Really? They used ugly trees for a start. I would never use Blizzard trees in a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.