• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarGryphon

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Description

Compare

Versions

I always hated the LQ Dwarf riding the Gryphon, so I made my own version of the Gryphon Rider!

217854-albums6319-picture98784.png

1.0 - Uploaded
1.1 - Added a new Attack Animation, New and Improved Hammer
1.2 - Changed Attack - 2 to Spell Attack Animation, Hammer no longer disappears on attack
1.3 - Added a Gryphon Helmet and Chains
1.4 - Fixed a Head issue

Any Suggestion/Recommendations are welcome!

Keywords:
Dwarf, Gryphon Rider, Gryphon, Rider, Mount, Alliance
Contents

WarGryphon (Model)

Reviews
10:45, 6th Jun 2015 Misha: well.. that is lill too simple.. just changing the dwarf to a mountain king and strapping a few bits of un-connected armor on the gryphon.. good idea, but definitely needs more work, so it looks a lill bit more unique

M

10:45, 6th Jun 2015
Misha: well.. that is lill too simple.. just changing the dwarf to a mountain king and strapping a few bits of un-connected armor on the gryphon.. good idea, but definitely needs more work, so it looks a lill bit more unique

Gryphon sure has been a popular model to make lately. It looks good, but maybe not have his hammer disappear in the attack animation. It isn't really needed; nobody will notice that it's still in his hand after he throws it. But having it removed prevents people from being able to use anything besides him throwing a hammer for the attack; what if they wanted the gryphon to attack, or for lightning to come from his hammer? Then his hammer is disappearing awkwardly for no reason. So that forces the user to only be able to use the storm hammer projectile, thus limiting its usefulness.

3/5.

Level 12
Gryphon sure has been a popular model to make lately. It looks good, but maybe not have his hammer disappear in the attack animation. It isn't really needed; nobody will notice that it's still in his hand after he throws it. But having it removed prevents people from being able to use anything besides him throwing a hammer for the attack; what if they wanted the gryphon to attack, or for lightning to come from his hammer? Then his hammer is disappearing awkwardly for no reason. So that forces the user to only be able to use the storm hammer projectile, thus limiting its usefulness.

fair point

Nice idea. You better change "Attack - 2" to some spell anim then attack. If he throws hammers it would look wierd when he throws a spear and a missile is hammer <.<.

I thought there was something in the WE that can handle it lol, I was wrong

Level 11

3/5.

I wouldn't necessarily agree, if you want a hammer to remain in his hand after he attacks you can just add the model as an attachment (though I'm not sure that hammer model is the standard one/available on this site as separate).

I tend to notice when missile weapons leave the hands, and I think it's a fairly nice visual addition to ranged units (like trolls having to pick new axes/spears from their backs).

Also please don't add a Hero glow! Hero glows do actually restrict the use of a model if they come by default. It is really easy to add a Hero glow as an attachment to any model, but it's not that easy to remove one already there-well, not for someone like me who has no knowledge of using a model editor anyway (I imagine it's not insanely had, but the point remains).

The model in itself is a nice, straightforward but very useful addition, as using predominantly in-game elements it really fits the dwarven theme already present. I personally love models that are simple variations of original ones, such as Footmen with a different weapon, simply because they fit so well visually with in-game models. That being said, most models made in this way usually make up for their simplicity with something else-usually animations. Now I have absolutely no knowledge in making animations and I suppose that it is the hardest part of modelling, but I do think this model would really benefit from maybe one extra animation, maybe just a stand one?

Regardless, great and very useful model:)

Level 12
so.. what exactly did you change? o_O I see no good changelog in the description.. and hive viewer can be a lill bit unreliable

Kaizer said:
1.0 - Uploaded
1.2 - Changed Attack - 2 to Spell Attack Animation, Hammer no longer disappears on attack
:<

@teozamait don't worry, it's a unit model, I won't add a hero glow.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll add another stand animation :)

Last edited:
Kaizer said:
1.0 - Uploaded
well, put that in the model page description, mate :D

anyway, maybe you should work a bit more on the armor, it's still kinda looking disconnected and 'glued' on the gryphon.. unless hive viewer is trolling me

Edit: nevermind.. I am a lazy ass that is lazy to click >.<

Level 14
That's a great idea to remake Blizzard's gryphon, because the default one looks absolutely ugly. I like your new version. It has even gave me some inspiration to make my own better gryphon model. So, it may appear on Hive soon!

4/5 for you. :)

I like that you changed it to have a spell anim to throw the spear with the other hand. That is really cool.

Keep improving this model, it's a good improvement over the old Gryphon. If it were possible to give half-thumbs, I'd raise my original rating from a 3/5 to a 3.5/5.

You may want to rotate the spear to be a bit straighter; this would fix two clipping issues at the same time: the speartip through the neck of the gryphon, and the handle of the spear through the wings.

To get a 4/5 from me, though, you'll need to improve the quality of the gryphon to be better than the in-game one.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Dang, never saw this. I too would like to see a different Gryphon (really sell this guy as a alternative/souped-up/Hero form of the Gryphon Rider), as well as hero glow & such.

Of course, the true "Gryphon Rider hero" wouldn't be the staid, heavily armored Mountain King-variant, but rather a crazed Wildhammer dude (ala
20a8f3b6cf6113915467492d48c14fc3.jpg
)