• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Map making contest 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I thought it might be intristing to make a map making contest. The contest will have different catorgores, Cinematic, Campaign, Aeon of Strife, Tower Defence, Minigames, RPG, melee and other. Ok here are the rules:

• Each person can enter one map in each catergory
  • Any map that has just been edited and was made by someone else will not be accepted
  • The Map must be made from scratch
  • There is no limit to map size or file size
  • Cinematics will have no time limit
  • Campaigns must have more then one mission
  • WEU will be accepted but you must tell me if you use it.
  • The map must be unprotected. If I can not open the map it will not be accepted.
  • If it is a multiplayer map you can send me a unprotected and protected version. They must be exactly the same.
  • The deadline will be one month. Extendtions can and will be given to any contestants still making their map after the 1 month deadline however this will not apply if it is the contestants 2nd or more map they are entering in the contest.
  • The Map must have at least 3 players unless it is a campaign, cinematic or any other singleplayer mission. If you have any other reason for it having only 2 players contact me and I might be able to enter your map into the contest.
  • Nothing that would break the lisence agreement you have to agree to register at Hive Workshop.
  • At the main page of the contest at Hive Workshop about the third post down there are some guidelines. This explains what the Jury will be looking for basicly in a map and it is recomended that you follow these guidlines.

Now to the reward. I will see if I can get Ralle to give you a rank on this site Bob27's Mapping Contest Winner or something like that. You will also then be given the right to have a banner in your signature that will be made by me soon.

Current Entries:

• Cinematic:
    Yoz
    teal_meld
  • Campaign:
    None
  • Aeon of Strife:
    N00byStance
  • Tower Defence:
    Darkdraak
    Ralle
  • Minigames:
    ragingspeedhorn
    Bixit
    Ralle
    JaCeK
    Soultaker
  • RPG:
    Myclam--
  • Melee:
    Fulla
    Teladrone
    Shados
  • Other:
    teza89
    Crazynutter
    Onisuzume
    wasniahC
    asasin850
    Yaba Daba Doo
    yuripro84

Completed Entries:

• Cinematic
  • None

Campaign
  • None

Aeon of Strife
  • Soultaker
  • Wakoo

Tower Defence
  • Luger

Minigames

RPG
  • VGsatomi

Melee
  • The Darkness

Other
  • VGsatomi
  • Luger

To enter just pm me the map or email it to [email protected] with Map Making Contest in the title. You must also give me your email address.

Entrys will be open for 1 month and if for some reason that time is extended I will contact all the contestants and tell them the new date. I will allow maps that have already been entered to be edited and let the author work on it some more until the new date.

Jury
Bob27
-=GhosT=-
Ralle
Healingpoison

Note: If a Jury member has a map in the contest they will have no power in decideing the winner of the catergory their map is in. They can not enter a map in that catergory once they have entered that catergorys Jury.

More information can be found here

Level 24
Ok i'll go through each catergory

Cinematic: Camera Movement, is the camera movement robotic? Or does it flow smoothly? If there is a battle scene in it is it just a mass of units running at eachother that produces heaps of lag? Then just other things such as originatlity and story.

Campaign: Does the story flor well? Or does it just go from one place instantly to another place with no warning. Then once again storyline, originality and I wil then mark each mission using the guidelines for whatever type of mission it is.

Aeon of Strife: Are all the heros balanced? Is there anything different to anyother Aeron of Strife maps? Does one team have some sought of advantage?

Tower Defence: Tower Defence will be marked on variaty of towers, you will not do very good if you have the same type of towers. Does the terrain somehow give one player a disadvantage and another play an advantage? And then balancing. Is the basic towers to strong? Are the monsters at the start to strong?

Minigame: Variety in the games and most importantly of all I have fun!

RPG: The storyline again, originality and systems. One of the main things that makes a RPG great is systems, good example of these are extra inventory systems, weapon wielding systems and quest systems. If it is an Open RPG you will be marked on all of the above (exceptnot so much story) and will also be marked on creeps. Is there a good selection of creeps? Do they respawn? Are there creeps that lvl 60's can kill and lvl 1's can kill?

Melee: Does one location give a disadvantage or advantage to that player? Does each player have enough creeps to kill? Are there enough gold mines? Are there to many gold mines?

Other: just try and make it good will you.

All Maps: All maps will be marked on terrain. Here are a few hints of what I think makes good terrain.

• Try and avoide using cliffs. Try and raise the ground. I think that the cliffs look at bit unatural.
  • Use multiple tiles. Don't just have one tile throught out the whole map.
  • Use as many custom Doodads as possible.
  • Tower Defence Maps and Minigames will not be marked for terrain as it is not important.

Level 24
well we all will. Also I would apreciate it if people could spread the word about this contest at other sites. The more the merrier :D

Oh and just a note for people who want to make campaigns. Try and make the campaign short, hard and fun. A good example of this is Mordork's Quest. Only 2 playable missions but yet they a funner and harder then the missions in the normel 10-15 mission campaigns.

Also if you do want to be in this contest contact me as soon as posible. Not when you've finished the map but as soon as posible so I can put your name on the list. You will also have to tell me what catergory it falls under. People who want to be in thr Jury will have to do the same. You can't just expect to be accepted on the Jury halfway through all the maps being marked.

Level 24
1. I making a map but I'm not quite sure what catagoery it falls under... I guess I'll say Campain.

Ok i'll change that

2. Can I enter map and be on jury?

You can be on the Jury to pick a map for a catergory you are not submiting a map in, if you want to be in the Jury for a certain catergory tell me.

3. Accepted is spelt a-c-c-e-p-t-e-d

Woops. I'll change that now.

Edit: 6 maps now :D All in 12 hours, this contest is getting off to a good start. And I've changed the deadline to 2 months.

-=GhosT=-

G

-=GhosT=-

bob you got msn?? need to ask you something :) if you got talk to me ([email protected])

anyway good luck for all you map makers, hope that i will have something really good to jury :)

Level 7
so whens the ending date of the contest exactly anyways? I dont think i can get my map done in time for it, but im willing to try my hardest. unfortunatly even if i do get the map done in time for the contest it will still be in the beta stages...

Level 3
Yeah, i'll join in too.
My map is called Space Hulk®, based off the boad game made by Games Workshop.
The name of all units, items and the map itself are copyright and/or trademarks of Games Workshop Ltd. And I have no permission to make the map, it is a fan-made map in hopes of returning Space Hulk to it's former glory. ^^ (always add legal stuff)

w00t! i'm a noob.

Myclam--

M

Myclam--

Hmm, I should have an RPG to enter or something, assuming i don't get bogged down with homework...

shouldn't "Network Friendly" be a criteria, seeing as how you can't host maps on battle.net that are over a certain size, and even then i dunno how many people are willing to wait and download... just a thought

Level 24
Hmm, I should have an RPG to enter or something, assuming i don't get bogged down with homework...

Good, i'll add you

shouldn't "Network Friendly" be a criteria, seeing as how you can't host maps on battle.net that are over a certain size, and even then i dunno how many people are willing to wait and download... just a thought

well first of all maps that are larger then 4mb will only be singleplayer maps. Any multiplayer map over 4mb needs some series work. Also I won't be going into battle.net and letting anyone join. The Jury will all be emailed the map first and the game will be private.

Level 3
Hello

Is it too late to join the competition? Because I just found out about this and I want in.

I don't know what kind of map I'm making yet. It will be either a tower defence, an AoS or a campaign. I'll tell you when I have decided.

A question: Does the map have to be brand new? Because I have a tons of unfinished maps that just needs an excuse to be completed.

Level 24
Well i've already let two already started maps into the contest. So yes tell me what catergories. And yes, it has to be a map not released to the public but can not be a already finished map either. At least some work has to be put into the map.

Level 3
Well i've already let two already started maps into the contest. So yes tell me what catergories. And yes, it has to be a map not released to the public but can not be a already finished map either. At least some work has to be put into the map.
Great!

I'm going to enter myself in two of the categories: Campaign and AoS.

Level 24
Now that i'm starting to get a few maps in i'm starting to really need to extent the Jury. I would like a total of 5 members in the Jury so I need three more. If any one would like to be on the Jury please pm me. Contestants can score maps that are not in a catergory they have entered in. And also please MAKE A POST HERE BEFORE SENDING ME AN EMAIL WITH THE MAP. I have already recieved two maps that have said nothing in the post here. So make a post here, at wc3anvil or wc3sear before sending me the map. Although I will try and score the maps now they will not technicly be entered into the contest until they post somewhere.

Level 24
This map was found by me submited at www.wc3sear.ch. The maker also emailed me a different version which was a little larger in size, had a different file name and was done by the same author but the game name was the same that he wanted to enter in the contest. Now take this as your warning. If you enter a already made map you WILL be found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.