• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Making Contest Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24

Introduction

I thought it might be intristing to make a map making contest. The contest will have different catorgores, Cinematic, Campaign, Aeron of Strife, Tower Defence, Minigames, RPG, melee and other. Now to the reward. I will see if I can get Ralle to give you a rank on this site Bob27's Mapping Contest Winner or something like that. You will also then be given the right to have a banner in your signature that will be made by me soon.

Rules

• Each person can enter one map in each catergory
  • Any map that has just been edited and was made by someone else will not be excepted
  • There is no limit to size
  • Cinematics will have no time limit
  • Campaigns must have more then one mission
  • WEU will be accepted but you must tell me.
  • The map must be unprotected. If I can not open the map it will not be accepted.
  • If it is a multiplayer map you can send me a unprotected and protected version. They must be exactly the same. I will use the protected one then for testing (Will only test with friends)

Guidlines

Cinematic: Camera Movement, is the camera movement robotic? Or does it flow smoothly? If there is a battle scene in it is it just a mass of units running at eachother that produces heaps of lag? Then just other things such as originatlity and story.

Campaign: Does the story flor well? Or does it just go from one place instantly to another place with no warning. Then once again storyline, originality and I wil then mark each mission using the guidelines for whatever type of mission it is.

Aeron of Strife: Are all the heros balanced? Is there anything different to anyother Aeron of Strife maps? Does one team have some sought of advantage?

Tower Defence: Tower Defence will be marked on variaty of towers, you will not do very good if you have the same type of towers. Does the terrain somehow give one player a disadvantage and another play an advantage? And then balancing. Is the basic towers to strong? Are the monsters at the start to strong?

Minigame: Variety in the games and most importantly of all I have fun!

RPG: The storyline again, originality and systems. One of the main things that makes a RPG great is systems, good example of these are extra inventory systems, weapon wielding systems and quest systems. If it is an Open RPG you will be marked on all of the above (exceptnot so much story) and will also be marked on creeps. Is there a good selection of creeps? Do they respawn? Are there creeps that lvl 60's can kill and lvl 1's can kill?

Melee: Does one location give a disadvantage or advantage to that player? Does each player have enough creeps to kill? Are there enough gold mines? Are there to many gold mines?

Other: just try and make it good will you.

All Maps: All maps will be marked on terrain. Here are a few hints of what I think makes good terrain.

• Try and avoide using cliffs. Try and raise the ground. I think that the cliffs look at bit unatural.
  • Use multiple tiles. Don't just have one tile throught out the whole map.
  • Use as many custom Doodads as possible.
  • Tower Defence Maps and Minigames will not be marked for terrain as it is not important.

Current Entries

• Cinematic:
    Yoz
  • Campaign:
    Healingpoison
    The Darkness
    varulf
  • Aeon of Strife:
    N00byStance
    JaCeK
    varulf
  • Tower Defence:
    Ralle
  • Minigames:
    ragingspeedhorn
  • RPG:
    The Darkness
    VGsatomi
    Myclam--
  • Melee:
    The Darkness
  • Other:
    VGsatomi
    teza89
    Crazynutter
    Onisuzume
    wasniahC

Jury

Jury
Bob27
-=GhosT=-
Ralle (melee)

Note: If a Jury member has a map in the contest they will have no power in decideing the winner of the catergory their map is in. They can not enter a map in that catergory once they have entered that catergorys Jury.

Contest

The Contest can be found Here.

Things to have in mind

This is a list of things that I think would make any map have a good chance of winning.

• Custom Interface-Although they can be quite difficult to make a good nice looking interface really improves your chances of winning.
  • Terrain-Terrain is very important. Except for TD's and Mini-games make sure your map has the best terrain possible
  • Try and add something in your map that hasn't been in any other map you've seen.
  • Try and make the map as balanced as possible. Balancing is a big thing me and the Jury will be looking at.
  • If using custom models, make sure they are average or good models, the Jury and I will be taking points of for bad models.
  • The same applys for skins/icons/ect. Bad ones will bring down your score
  • In Campaigns cinematics (if there are any) will also play a large part in decideing the winners.

Scoring System

This is the way that at the moment I have come up with for scoring maps.

Each catergory will have sub-carergories. An example of this is for Campaigns there might be Cinematics, Storyline, originality, balancing, variety, ect. Each sub catergory will be rated out of ten points. The points will be added up for the map and totaled. Obviously the map with the most points will win. However I will allow the Jury members to pick from -10 to 10. Any number bellow 0 will not be able to win. If there are no maps above 0 then there will be no winner for that catergory. Obviously only really bad maps should get a mark under 0. Average maps should get about five, good maps about eight and excelent maps ten0. Any map bellow 0 will not deserve to win. Each Jury member will be responsible for one of the sub catergories.

Status
Not open for further replies.