1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III Map making contest 2006

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Bob27, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I thought it might be intristing to make a map making contest. The contest will have different catorgores, Cinematic, Campaign, Aeon of Strife, Tower Defence, Minigames, RPG, melee and other. Ok here are the rules:

• Each person can enter one map in each catergory
    • Any map that has just been edited and was made by someone else will not be accepted
    • The Map must be made from scratch
    • There is no limit to map size or file size
    • Cinematics will have no time limit
    • Campaigns must have more then one mission
    • WEU will be accepted but you must tell me if you use it.
    • The map must be unprotected. If I can not open the map it will not be accepted.
    • If it is a multiplayer map you can send me a unprotected and protected version. They must be exactly the same.
    • The deadline will be one month. Extendtions can and will be given to any contestants still making their map after the 1 month deadline however this will not apply if it is the contestants 2nd or more map they are entering in the contest.
    • The Map must have at least 3 players unless it is a campaign, cinematic or any other singleplayer mission. If you have any other reason for it having only 2 players contact me and I might be able to enter your map into the contest.
    • Nothing that would break the lisence agreement you have to agree to register at Hive Workshop.
    • At the main page of the contest at Hive Workshop about the third post down there are some guidelines. This explains what the Jury will be looking for basicly in a map and it is recomended that you follow these guidlines.

Now to the reward. I will see if I can get Ralle to give you a rank on this site Bob27's Mapping Contest Winner or something like that. You will also then be given the right to have a banner in your signature that will be made by me soon.

Current Entries:

• Cinematic:
      Yoz
      teal_meld
    • Campaign:
      None
    • Aeon of Strife:
      N00byStance
    • Tower Defence:
      Darkdraak
      Ralle
    • Minigames:
      ragingspeedhorn
      Bixit
      Ralle
      JaCeK
      Soultaker
    • RPG:
      Myclam--
    • Melee:
      Fulla
      Teladrone
      Shados
    • Other:
      teza89
      Crazynutter
      Onisuzume
      wasniahC
      asasin850
      Yaba Daba Doo
      yuripro84

Completed Entries:

• Cinematic
    • None

Campaign
    • None

Aeon of Strife
    • Soultaker
    • Wakoo

Tower Defence
    • Luger

Minigames

RPG
    • VGsatomi

Melee
    • The Darkness

Other
    • VGsatomi
    • Luger

To enter just pm me the map or email it to bob27dav@optusnet.com.au with Map Making Contest in the title. You must also give me your email address.

Entrys will be open for 1 month and if for some reason that time is extended I will contact all the contestants and tell them the new date. I will allow maps that have already been entered to be edited and let the author work on it some more until the new date.

Jury
    Bob27
    -=GhosT=-
    Ralle
    Healingpoison

Note: If a Jury member has a map in the contest they will have no power in decideing the winner of the catergory their map is in. They can not enter a map in that catergory once they have entered that catergorys Jury.

More information can be found here

2. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hmm.. I am not sure but maybe I will join.. How will you look at the maps? I mean what will you look after that makes a map win?

3. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok i'll go through each catergory

Cinematic: Camera Movement, is the camera movement robotic? Or does it flow smoothly? If there is a battle scene in it is it just a mass of units running at eachother that produces heaps of lag? Then just other things such as originatlity and story.

Campaign: Does the story flor well? Or does it just go from one place instantly to another place with no warning. Then once again storyline, originality and I wil then mark each mission using the guidelines for whatever type of mission it is.

Aeon of Strife: Are all the heros balanced? Is there anything different to anyother Aeron of Strife maps? Does one team have some sought of advantage?

Tower Defence: Tower Defence will be marked on variaty of towers, you will not do very good if you have the same type of towers. Does the terrain somehow give one player a disadvantage and another play an advantage? And then balancing. Is the basic towers to strong? Are the monsters at the start to strong?

Minigame: Variety in the games and most importantly of all I have fun!

RPG: The storyline again, originality and systems. One of the main things that makes a RPG great is systems, good example of these are extra inventory systems, weapon wielding systems and quest systems. If it is an Open RPG you will be marked on all of the above (exceptnot so much story) and will also be marked on creeps. Is there a good selection of creeps? Do they respawn? Are there creeps that lvl 60's can kill and lvl 1's can kill?

Melee: Does one location give a disadvantage or advantage to that player? Does each player have enough creeps to kill? Are there enough gold mines? Are there to many gold mines?

Other: just try and make it good will you.

All Maps: All maps will be marked on terrain. Here are a few hints of what I think makes good terrain.

• Try and avoide using cliffs. Try and raise the ground. I think that the cliffs look at bit unatural.
    • Use multiple tiles. Don't just have one tile throught out the whole map.
    • Use as many custom Doodads as possible.
    • Tower Defence Maps and Minigames will not be marked for terrain as it is not important.

4. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    Would custom models give us an advantage?

5. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    depends. If there awsome really good looking custom models yes, if there really badly done or skinned models then no. It might even give you a disadvantage.

6. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    They can be made by someone else? Yes or no?

7. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  8. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    *sigh* I'll have to get to work on my terrian.... Great...

9. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    what type of map will you be making?

10. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its a funky mix...

What its going to be like is this,
    Players are on a team
    They gotta be a Computer enemy
    each player has 1 hero
    and enemy is a base

11. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This contest is going good so far, hardly been up for 12 hours and weve already got 1 Jury member, 2 contestants and 1 possible contestant.

12. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    kool. Sounds good. My map is going t obe rather hard for me :(. But I'll get there

13. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well we all will. Also I would apreciate it if people could spread the word about this contest at other sites. The more the merrier :D

Oh and just a note for people who want to make campaigns. Try and make the campaign short, hard and fun. A good example of this is Mordork's Quest. Only 2 playable missions but yet they a funner and harder then the missions in the normel 10-15 mission campaigns.

Also if you do want to be in this contest contact me as soon as posible. Not when you've finished the map but as soon as posible so I can put your name on the list. You will also have to tell me what catergory it falls under. People who want to be in thr Jury will have to do the same. You can't just expect to be accepted on the Jury halfway through all the maps being marked.

14. Healingpoison

Healingpoison

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. I making a map but I'm not quite sure what catagoery it falls under... I guess I'll say Campain.

2. Can I enter map and be on jury?

3. Accepted is spelt a-c-c-e-p-t-e-d

15. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok i'll change that

You can be on the Jury to pick a map for a catergory you are not submiting a map in, if you want to be in the Jury for a certain catergory tell me.

Woops. I'll change that now.

Edit: 6 maps now :D All in 12 hours, this contest is getting off to a good start. And I've changed the deadline to 2 months.

16. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OK I am in.. I am making a Tower Defense.. with 3 races I think and with 3 towers each. I wont tell anymore

17. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    excelent. And btw thanks for making this a sticky.

18. teza89

teza89

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can i Sumbit a Hero Defence Possibly as it's nowhere finished

19. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yep sure can, that would go underother I supose

20. bob you got msn?? need to ask you something :) if you got talk to me (ghost276@o2.pl)

anyway good luck for all you map makers, hope that i will have something really good to jury :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.