• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Warcraft and NEWGEN crash (DirectX error)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey!

I was running Wc3 for like 6 years without problems and now, as Blizzard likes to say, "times changed"..

I'm unable to open the NEWGEN editor. The error message is:

"Unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have installed DirectX 8.1 or higher and that your display drivers are up to date..."

"Please verify that your Warcraft III disc is in your CD_ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'."

I tried to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWp2IAebCg, unsuccessfully.

Reinstall and adding -opengl extension after the location of Warcraft (via: Trying to get Warcraft III to run but getting a directx error - Video - Laptop - Dell Community) fixed only basic Warcraft (RoC, TFT and editor) but didn't fix NEWGEN editor which still appears the same error message (as written above).

I can't edit my maps without NEWGEN so the -openGL solution is not enough for me. Can anyone help me, please? I am getting desperate..

Additional information: I have last drivers on my video card, last patch, I'm running everything as an administrator, I have original Warcraft III, firewall is off, I'm running with Avast's shields turned off, I have directX 11, GeForce GTS 250, Windows 7 32 bit.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
"Unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have installed DirectX 8.1 or higher and that your display drivers are up to date..."
It is meant to say.
"Unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have fully installed DirectX 9 and that your display drivers are up to date..."
Online installer available here.

The latest patch raised the system requirements to D3D9 and some newer version of MSVC (I forget which).

Level 10
Thanks for your effort, Dr Super Good! I have DirectX 11 installed and I'm running on Windows 7. That means I can't install DirectX 11.1 and higher. Anyway I really doubt that the problem is about DirectX, because it says 8.1 or higher, not 11 or higher.

On which version of DirectX are you running the game?

Level 8
Well sometimes my jnpg were screwed up by itself because of some reasons...can't say anything about your particular problem but deleting whole folder then recopying jnpg again fixed those problems for me mostly.

and don't exactly know the changes but I use this latest one: The Jass NewGen Pack (JNGP) 2.0 - Blizzard Modding Information Center

But I think the game doesn't see the DirectX library as well as jnpg which I think sees it as a requirement to get run. Does your laptop has Nvidia Optimus tech?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Thanks for your effort, Dr Super Good! I have DirectX 11 installed and I'm running on Windows 7. That means I can't install DirectX 11.1 and higher. Anyway I really doubt that the problem is about DirectX, because it says 8.1 or higher, not 11 or higher.
You need to update D3D9? The default version that comes with Vista and newer is not the full install. Having D3D11 or 12 does not mean you have the full install of D3D9.

On which version of DirectX are you running the game?
D3D12 with full D3D9 install. Game performs terrible due to anniversary update for Windows 10 it seems (gamma works but the inconsistent frame rate as returned).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
  • Are you running the latest wc3 patch? (1.27a)
  • Have you tried following this tutorial? It might not be an ideal solution, but it may be worth a shot if all your errors are related to DirectX.
Unless there has been a new version released in the last month, yes I am running the latest version. That tutorial is obsolete largely.

Its only started since the introduction of anniversary edition. The game has unstable frame rate oscillating between 30 and 60 fps continuously. Games like Diablo III and StarCraft II have no problem obtaining stable frame rates near 60 fps.

Maybe I need to check the Xbox DVR feature. Some people report that it defaults to enabled and degraded performance which could explain the issues with WC3 (if it even works for WC3).

Level 10
A bit late, but:
  • Are you running the latest wc3 patch? (1.27a)
  • Have you tried following this tutorial? It might not be an ideal solution, but it may be worth a shot if all your errors are related to DirectX.

Thank you thousand times!!! I had the latest patch, but that tutorial fixed this issue. My JNGP is working now!

I would also like to thank all of you guys for your time and advices, especially PirgeandFire and Dr Super Good (+ rep) <3

I can go work on my projects now... finally! :) Thanks Elune/Titans/Ancestors/Light for the Hive.. You rock guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.