1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged Blizzcon Recap

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maiev Shadowsong, Kael'thas, Illidan's fate, Malfurion's name, to name a few. Also the most important and imo the best WoW character, Sylvanas Windrunner, has been made that way because of a TfT retcon. So I see quite a few retconns here. Sure you can say they aren't that big as with WoW, but still retcons.

2. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Only Mal'Furion' was a real retcon though others were more of a continuation since they did not touch the old story

3. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think people are way too sensitive when it comes to retcons. Sure, some suck, but not all of them are bad. For example, Diablo III changed the identity of the Diablo I warrior from some random guy to Leoric's son. To me this was a brilliant change, because it made the original story much more tragic by having Aidan kill both his father and his younger brother to rescure Tristram, only to ultimately succumb to the same curse that corrupted his family. It also made it more believable that Aidan wanted to take the stone to the head, because not only did he see a lot of shit, but he also lost his entire family, so it makes sense that he'd be willing to sacrifice himself to make sure nobody suffers through the same fate again. Thus, it's an example of a really nice retcon.

However, when it comes to Warcraft 3 - nostalgia aside, the original story might not be Shakespeare or something, but as far as fantasy stories go, it's really good. I don't see any need to change it, especially considering that it's doubtful that Christie Golden and the modern WoW writers would be able to make it any better. So ultimately I am happy that they chose not to retcon it in any way.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can say the same for half-naked women. It's the shameless sex appeal of contemporary times.

5. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Illidan became a crazy powerful demon and lost everything Night Elf about him, that's why he was banished by (Mal)Furion and Tyrande. Suddenly he's a Night Elf again, on par with (Mal)Furion and Tyrande again, I see a story change here. Sylvanas was just a bit more powerful banshee that's raised by Arthas to undead. And again suddenly she's one of the highest ranking scourge generals and a corporal ranger, another story change. etc....
    Christie Golden wrote "Lord of the Clans"(2001), a prelude to RoC. Acoording to many the best, but at least one of the most important WoW novels/stories. So saying that she wasn't involved in writing WC3 story just doesn't make sense to me. Also Chris Metzen still voices Thrall in BfA and pretty much every Blizzard game, so I doubt he doesn't still have his say on a few things.

6. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This name alone was the one that almost made me cry when I saw last year that she would work on Reforged's story, she already ruined all the Warcraft , it is so nice to know now Reforged is free from her.

7. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chris Metzen is no longer a part of Blizzard - he might have a little influence when it comes to WoW, but I doubt he's involved in any other game.

As for Christie Golden, don't forget that she wasn't a part of Blizzard when Warcraft 3 was written and it's totally possible that she was simply hired to write a book based on a story outline that the actual writers have given her. Besides, right now Golden is a regular writer for WoW and she played a big part in writing Battle for Azeroth, which is arguably one of the worst stories that WoW has ever had.

8. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Never ever forget Arthas novel, where we have learned he was in love with his horse alot more than Jaina....

9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    From Chris to Christie.

Metzen retired as far as I know. I don't think he's involved in anything at moment.

10. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    BfA story ended up being bad, cause a lot of stuff were cut, cause the expansion contents were bad(warfronts, Azerate gear etc...). The inital story from Kul Tiras about Jaina's regrets and stuff was a blast if you ask me. The final story still beats the WoD story in anyway though, maybe even Cata.
    I'm 100% certain that Metzen will voice Thrall in Shadowlands, so I dout they will ignore his opinion.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  11. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, Jaina's story was nice, but the main plot of the expansion - the war campaign - was seriously messed up since pre-patch, e.g. Sylvanas wanting to invade the tree only to have it burned because Delaryn pissed her off (funny enough, it was already retconned), Lor'themar suddenly being fine with Sylvanas raising Blood Elves during Battle for Lorderon, the Vindicaar going MIA even though it's one of the most powerful weapons Alliance had, etc.

12. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    To be honest, that is not much of a retcon, no more than learning that Rogue became Blood Raven and Sorcerer became fake Horazon, its more of filling a blank spot. Assigning a name to nameless player character in a later installment is a common thing.
    It would be a retcon if the Warrior had a canonic name and suddenly it got changed.
    Now that I think of it, Diablo lore is actually surprisingly consistent - probably due to smaller scope and not having to mutilate lore to facilitate a MMO.

Objection, half-naked women are always sensible and right. Provided they are sufficiently good-looking, of course.

13. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm... they didn't mention they would fix all inconsistencies like they did on that High Elf Archmage and whatnot. Here's what I hope they will fix:
    • Replace Darkspears with Orc Spearthrowers in Blackrock and Roll and Blackrock and Roll Too
    • Replace Far Seers with WC2 Death Knights in Blackrock and Roll Too [1]
    • Replace Dwarven units with High Elf Archers, Ballistae, and Dragonhawk Riders in the Siege of Dalaran and Under the Burning Sky [2]
    • Replace Ogres with Pandarens or any decent Northrend unit in Dissension
    • Replace the name of the skeleton orcs from Blackrock Clan to Black Tooth Grin Clan in The Tomb of Sargeras
    • Replace fel Kodos with Shadow Council necrolytes in Gates of the Abyss and Lord of Outland [3]
    • Add some Dwarven Axemen in Into the Shadow Web Caverns
    [1] Far Seers greatly contradict with the Blackrock Clan's fel use. Normally the elements should have abandoned them already
    [2] Not even Wildhammer Shamans would have anything to do with Dalaran as Shamanism is far from Arcane
    [3] There is literally no reason for fel Kodos to be in Outland. i don't think there would be fel corrupted Warsong Orc to smuggle some fel Kodos back inside the Dark Portal

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  14. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    • There are no orc spearthrower model, maybe the forest troll axethrower could work?
    • There aren't wc2 dk models either, maybe use some of the orc warlocks models instead?
    • Probably they'll do that
    • Hmm, maybe more bandits? or ice trolls? tuskarr maybe?
    • Fel beasts could work here
    • There aren't dwarven axemens models either :c

15. 4rum_Arts

4rum_Arts

Resources:
    Resources:
    So when do you open World Editor?

16. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    I meant in Reforged, they're making LOTS of new models to fix their inconsistencies in the Quel'thalas invasion, they better do it as well in the others

Also, the Amani already abandoned Orgrimm's Horde before the Second War even ended

17. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I was talking about reforged too X'D
    Well, wc2 dk's are also gone, and the only ones that survive are in outland; regarding that, i don't think Actiblizz will ask lemon sky to make more models, but probably they will make some modifications to the ones already seen it so far.

18. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    They said each campaign hero will have their own models so there's possibility for more models.

I don't think personally that all death knights were eradicated in Azeroth after the Second War

Also another inconsistency: change the name of the skeleton orcs from Blackrock Clan to Black Tooth Grin Clan in The Tomb of Sargeras

19. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    They also said there would be 4+ hours of in-game cutscenes :v
    Well, most of them became liches in wc3.
    Do the skeletal orcs have the blackrock symbol on them? if not they could represent any clan without a problem.

20. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    But their team names were Blackrock Clan, Stormreaver Clan, and Twilight's Hammer Clan. Any slight oversight still needs to be fixed in reforged