• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Warcraft 3 MMO - Persistent Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an example of some of the synchronization between game clients. It also showcases switching maps in multiplayer, and some basic enemy pathfinding and combat which handled on the game server. This is all with 100ms to 300ms of latency.

I may try to get a demo up and running for people to test soon.

Level 25
Hi, awesome project. Is it meant to be used for any maps or does it only work with your maps?
I would love to see different server hosted like for SA-MP San Andreas Multiplayer mod for Grand Theft Auto (GTA SA) or the GTA V RP servers.
When I press on the Play button nothing happens not even when I am logged in. When I restart it and I am still logged in, the Play button suddenly works. I am also wondering why I do have to be registered? In sa-mp there is a maximum of players per server and you can simply join with a nickname. That might be easier. The servers themselves provider registering stuff to store your stats, so you can either play on a server just for fun or on a RP server saving your stuff.

When I attack the wolf it does not attack me :(

You could add some command to list all online players and some whisper chat command.
Maybe add some emote chat commands which play/sync animations and sounds.

Seriously, this is a mod many people have been waiting for if it really synchronizes everything like items, spells etc. and if you provide some storage for the accounts to keep their stats.

Can I play this with Reforged maps? It seems like it downloads the classic Frozen Throne.

How will updates of Reforged affect this mod? It seems like you are downloading the classic Frozen Throne? Do Reforged maps work for this as well?

How is the map changed coded? I can't find it in the map script? Is it some magic in the natives?

Level 17
@Barade I may be able to provide answers to some of these questions, and insight for others.
This uses 1.27 due to having to majorly modify the game, notably to include network capabilities, but also to make all the logic from the server.
Reforged maps are thus out of reach, and updates to Reforged will not matter. (The reason all ambitious mods like this need to use old versions is that Blizzard started obfuscating the game on release of 1.30.0)

Only maps made specifically for this project will work with it, but that does not mean it will be impossible to convert maps to work once the project progresses.

The wolf not attacking is a bug/issue I've seen as well, but this is a re-release of an old project, so give it time to get all the features back and some new features in.

Listing players, whispers, emotes, may all come later, depending on TH's plan for the project, but they will be nice to have.
Sending messages to all maps should be doable, try /all

Also about your topmost paragraph, I've not had issues with the play button, so that may be something to look into on your specific configuration (the launcher used to have a debug mode from what I remember, but you will probably need TH's assistance for that).

Requiring registration is good because it means the persistent gameplay will actually be safe from other people abusing your name. (think of Minecraft servers vs Minecraft cracked servers, the cracked ones have plugins for passwords so you can't just log in with any name and troll the owner of the account)

Last edited:
Updated.
  • Fixed an issue where creeps would ignore you
  • Fixed a potential crash when switching maps
Hi, awesome project. Is it meant to be used for any maps or does it only work with your maps?

You could add some command to list all online players and some whisper chat command.
Maybe add some emote chat commands which play/sync animations and sounds.

Can I play this with Reforged maps? It seems like it downloads the classic Frozen Throne.

How will updates of Reforged affect this mod? It seems like you are downloading the classic Frozen Throne? Do Reforged maps work for this as well?

How is the map changed coded? I can't find it in the map script? Is it some magic in the natives?
  1. Currently it's only meant to be used with my maps but maybe in the future others will be able to use it as well.
  2. The website will contain a list of online players and such.
  3. Reforged maps will not work with this. The installation is also seperate from Reforged so they won't affect each other.
  4. Yeah it's coded in my custom natives essentially.
I also made a quick video with a few other players that showcases how the game currently looks/works.

Last edited:
Level 4
You don't even know what you did! This will expand the Warcraft 3 editor millions of times! You can make session save games (Like Clash rouale or World of Tanks) or MMORPGs! Do you need help for a project?It must be done! We believe in you!

Level 5
I tried installing but i get a "Connection Timed Out" error message, is it shut down again or is it only in specific hours that it runs ?

Level 6
I am extremely skeptical about this.
I think that Chinese platforms are more than enough for good RPG maps, because the main problem is not that the number of players is limited, but that the save files are stored by the player, which allows cheating in any way and makes it impossible for such useful functions as, for example, trade between players.

Level 19
I am extremely skeptical about this.
I think that Chinese platforms are more than enough for good RPG maps, because the main problem is not that the number of players is limited, but that the save files are stored by the player, which allows cheating in any way and makes it impossible for such useful functions as, for example, trade between players.
this is more an experiment than an actual project, and also it's in very early stages. It's not like making new functionalities is just one press of a buttom away, you should think more of all the work that went behind what has already been shown. It's also not like this is some kickstarter scam MMORPG campaign either.

Level 6
It's very naive. For indie MMORPG there are much better ways to implement. (even pirate wow server will better than this)
The problems of creating maps for Warcraft 3 are that it is impossible to go beyond certain limits, many things cannot be done even with crutches.
Unfortunately, the reforged did not get rid of the problems, it just split the community into old and new versions. (As 1.26 player, i can't believe that people tolerate to lack of hotkeys for items and instant disconnect in case of connection problems)
Sample list of wc3 problems:
  1. No monetization
  2. No cheat protection
  3. Large entry barrier for creating good maps without leaks
This can be shortened to "lack of tools for authors" and "lack of amenities for gamers"
All these problems were somehow solved in china thanks to the custom editor and gaming platforms, this is an example of good ideas and projects.
this is more an experiment than an actual project

Then why not experiment to create a good custom GUI? or to create a good gaming platform? or at least using a Chinese editor to exchange data between the map and the server? these things are guaranteed to help a large part of the community.
I understand that everyone is free to do what they want, but I recommend remembering Illidan's phrase "my destiny is my own"
and "we will never be slaves" by grommash hellscream.
You are part of the wc3 community, your fate depends on you, you should not hope for decades that blizzard will do something useful for you, because you have a good example of success right before your eyes, the success of one is an excuse for others to try.
MMORPG based on wc3? Are you seriously?
We still do not even have a save/load system with a detailed description that anyone can customize for themselves without any problems.
10 years ago, I would probably have squealed with delight when I saw this project, but now I understand perfectly well that this is just a waste of time for fun.

Level 17
It's very naive.
No one in the community is bound to make things that you benefit from. This project doesn't suffer from any of the 3 problems you mentioned because it's barely warcraft. It's using a custom server, a modified client, and no Blizzard server components. You seem to be too focused on an idea that projects must have some grand goal for a community. This MMORPG isn't there for any new mapper to try and fork and make their own. It's a persistent game world, in theory for unlimited players, and that's it.
Your messages seem to indicate you're assuming it's trying to be just another platform with memory modifications to extend your mapping options. It's its own thing, and maybe TriggerHappy will release the code for it to allow others to make similar setups, but it's by no means just another NetEase. Let the man enjoy his project, and don't attack it just because you're not having any benefits

Level 19
It's very naive. For indie MMORPG there are much better ways to implement. (even pirate wow server will better than this)
The problems of creating maps for Warcraft 3 are that it is impossible to go beyond certain limits, many things cannot be done even with crutches.
Unfortunately, the reforged did not get rid of the problems, it just split the community into old and new versions. (As 1.26 player, i can't believe that people tolerate to lack of hotkeys for items and instant disconnect in case of connection problems)
Sample list of wc3 problems:
  1. No monetization
  2. No cheat protection
  3. Large entry barrier for creating good maps without leaks
This can be shortened to "lack of tools for authors" and "lack of amenities for gamers"
All these problems were somehow solved in china thanks to the custom editor and gaming platforms, this is an example of good ideas and projects.

Then why not experiment to create a good custom GUI? or to create a good gaming platform? or at least using a Chinese editor to exchange data between the map and the server? these things are guaranteed to help a large part of the community.
I understand that everyone is free to do what they want, but I recommend remembering Illidan's phrase "my destiny is my own"
and "we will never be slaves" by grommash hellscream.
You are part of the wc3 community, your fate depends on you, you should not hope for decades that blizzard will do something useful for you, because you have a good example of success right before your eyes, the success of one is an excuse for others to try.
MMORPG based on wc3? Are you seriously?
We still do not even have a save/load system with a detailed description that anyone can customize for themselves without any problems.
10 years ago, I would probably have squealed with delight when I saw this project, but now I understand perfectly well that this is just a waste of time for fun.
Why do we need monetization? the result of heavy monetization on the chinese modding community broke down any bridges between the western wc3 modding community and the chinese one. Simply put, the monetization was taken to such an extreme in China that forums started to sell fake coins to gain access to resources you need to pay the author another sum. I am not trying to critize it, but I don't think the chinese evolution of the wc3 modding was the right move.
I understand that servers need money to run, but as the hive itself has proven, a good quality product will receive funding by those who see the value, while in China there are barely functional forums made more to gain cash than function as proper hubs for modders. If this project was truly aiming for money trigger happy would've probably linked his patreon and offered some sort of rewards system. But he hasn't and is likely to not do so. Therefore just because there is no money involved it's not a waste of time.
Also world of warcraft quotes lol. Like really? nobody is expecting anything from blizzard, that is literally why this project exists to begin with.

Level 6
Author can spend his time on any projects, but I, in turn, can consider them naive or useless.
Of course, if a random guy from Internet tells you that you are wasting your time, this is not a reason to give up your desires. go for it bro, just be yourself and you will succeed! (So sad that we do not live in the world of Disney cartoons)
Why do we need monetization?
Firstly, I said not only about monetization.
What I like most about Chinese platforms is that I really am the author and owner of my project (map). I have the ability to manage literally anything, including donations, saves, statistics, and no one can hack my card in 5 minutes just by inserting a cheatpack.
But what about monetization?
As you may have noticed, most of the authors give up their maps after 1-3 years, and I understand them perfectly, because in order to live, you need to earn money, you not will waste your time just because your players want it.
In addition, Blizzards do not learn from their mistakes and instead of supporting successful authors (as they do on Chinese platforms), they add the condition that all projects will belong to them.
Are you saying that monetization in China only made things worse? But this is not a monetization problem as such, this is a mistake of people who tried to use it, naively believing that they know everything in the world.
If you control the fire, it will warm you, but if you let it go, it will burn you. Foolish to blame the fire.
I know very well what games are made in China and other Asian countries (gacha and other gambling garbage)
they often don’t know how to make good games and push everything very much on random, the best example of this is lineage 2 against wow, one project died a long time ago and the other is still alive.
Don't think badly of me 'cause I can be pretty harsh. i'm just really sad about the legacy that my predecessors left me, I would like to make good maps, but under the current conditions it's just useless, Warcraft is slowly dying and I think that we all did not do enough to save what was dear to us all these years. I realized this when I started to explore ydwe editor and Chinese platforms.

Level 19
Author can spend his time on any projects, but I, in turn, can consider them naive or useless.
Of course, if a random guy from Internet tells you that you are wasting your time, this is not a reason to give up your desires. go for it bro, just be yourself and you will succeed! (So sad that we do not live in the world of Disney cartoons)

Firstly, I said not only about monetization.
What I like most about Chinese platforms is that I really am the author and owner of my project (map). I have the ability to manage literally anything, including donations, saves, statistics, and no one can hack my card in 5 minutes just by inserting a cheatpack.
But what about monetization?
As you may have noticed, most of the authors give up their maps after 1-3 years, and I understand them perfectly, because in order to live, you need to earn money, you not will waste your time just because your players want it.
In addition, Blizzards do not learn from their mistakes and instead of supporting successful authors (as they do on Chinese platforms), they add the condition that all projects will belong to them.
Are you saying that monetization in China only made things worse? But this is not a monetization problem as such, this is a mistake of people who tried to use it, naively believing that they know everything in the world.
If you control the fire, it will warm you, but if you let it go, it will burn you. Foolish to blame the fire.
I know very well what games are made in China and other Asian countries (gacha and other gambling garbage)
they often don’t know how to make good games and push everything very much on random, the best example of this is lineage 2 against wow, one project died a long time ago and the other is still alive.
Don't think badly of me 'cause I can be pretty harsh. i'm just really sad about the legacy that my predecessors left me, I would like to make good maps, but under the current conditions it's just useless, Warcraft is slowly dying and I think that we all did not do enough to save what was dear to us all these years. I realized this when I started to explore ydwe editor and Chinese platforms.
Well if you just don't care kindly rise your ass and get out of here instead of insulting people. If you have such knowledge, such world class access to things, by all means, go to some Chinese forum and throw your hat in the ring instead of insulting people on a random forum post about something that was never made to be "the next thing" or to make a living out of.
The very idea of living from warcraft 3 is sad.
But we are derailing this topic too much, at least for what concerns me I won't reply to your posts here anymore, if you wish to continue this discussion you are free to make a private message discussion board or reach out on discord. But please, do not derail the topic. This also goes to myself, I won't be derailing anymore.
Sorry for all the random posts btw TriggerHappy.

Level 12
tAgBSSo.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.