• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft 2: Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh well, after a long break after my other map, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans I came back :p

Features:
1.Oil Sysyem
2.Custom models
3.Custom icons /:p\
4.Abilities copied from my first map /xP\
5.AI that I can't managed to build the shipyards

Notices:
1.Goddamn filesize.
2.Please report any bugs, lags, and anything you think is wrong.
3.Comment please

To be added:
for now:
1.Make a cancellation system for the oil, right now, when you cancel training a unit, the oil u spent will never come back (Low priority)
2.Fix some bugs the peeps will report (Ultimate priority)

For the screenshots:
Coming Soon (the screenies on my album are from the alpha version, some are changed)

Credits:
  • General
    • Kam
    • Blizzard Entertainment
    • Wazzz
    • Wraithling
    • Teelo
    • Trilby
  • 2D Stuff
    • Dionesiist
  • 3D Stuff
    • Xaran Alamas
    • Dmitry Rommel
    • Tufy
    • Anemic Royalty
    • Mephestrial
    • Red XIII
    • 3ABXO3
  • Coding Stuff
    • eleljrk
    • Anarchon
    • Glenphir
    • Moridin
    • Romek
    • Teelo

enjoy! :p

Download Link

Changelog:
  • (8:52 PM) 01-20-2010 First Beta Release
  • (3:40 PM) 03-20-2010 Second Beta Release
    • fixed the compatibility of the map for the latest version
    • new terrain
    • New models for the Ogre, Ogre Mage, and Oil Tanker
    • Higher Filesize
  • (7:05 PM) 03-20-2010 Second Beta Release Update
    • Fixed the Giant Turtle model file
    • The first hall you make will automatically have a 75% construction progress
    • Remove the periodic lightning
  • (10:41 AM) 03-23-2010 Second Beta Release Update
    • The Oil Multiboard experienced heavy change (thanks to Teelo)
    • Some tweaks on the units

Last edited:
Level 16
Hey there.

I've play tested this twice, so firstly my compliments on your well done ideas in making the map. And I think that the ideas are yours to change as you see fit, so I shall restrict my little comments on game play and balancing, if it pleases your royal highness :smile:

Game play

1. How the game begins should be given more serious thought into. Waiting a very long time for your single peasant to build the town hall is a bad first impression (for me at least). May I suggest that the game starts with a town hall, a farm and a peasant to set things rolling on a more decent pace. Also at this point, everybody constructs different things, so it ensures variety while keeping units and buildings to the minimal.

2. Gold and lumber needs some more restructuring. I think gold is harvested too fast while lumber is harvested too slow. I often run out of lumber while wanting to build just another farm. And on the other hand, mining gold with just two peasants gives me more than enough gold for my building & researching needs.

3. The periodic lightning.. annoys me.

+ Some of the plus points I like about the game play: I absolutely like the way I have to harvest oil (you could even place the oil patches further out to make the game even more challenging); I also like the many waygates you have as it adds a little more diversity to the game.

Balance

Okay, so having a navy is good. But in its current state, the warships are only used to combat enemy warships, so if the enemy doesn't build a naval force, I could skip this too, and as a further implication, it makes harvesting for oil redundant. And if the enemy spams warships, I simply build my structures a little more in-land to be out of their reach, so no problems there too. Thus I'd like to make a few suggestions. Firstly you must provide the navy with things to do which the ground and air units cannot provide. An orc juggernaut with a long range anti building attack, for example, would be impossible to ignore, thus the opposing team would have no choice but to counter this with their own navy. Secondly, to keep the enemy guessing, the rock, paper, scissors system could be implemented here. For instance:

- Air units are strong vs Ground units.
- Ground units are strong vs Naval units.
- Naval units are strong vs Air units and buildings.

In this way, it would make building the navy even more impossible to ignore, thus giving your map an extra dimension over the standard melee games.

+ Other than the navy, the others are okay for now, although continuously tweaking the units is always advisable, at your own discretion of course. Also good balance in attack & armour types, keep these.

A few minor things
- Giant Turtle probably has a model problem because it doesn't show up in game.
- Changing the worker to 'build more structures' actually removes the resource that it is currently carrying. Anything you could do here?
- In stead of a long text describing each unit, how about shortening it, while also adding more important info like its hp, damage, attack type, etc.

Well that's all I can think of for now. Hope to play test an update again soon.

Okay, thanks for the feedback, I'll work on it asap

About the balance, I won't do some changes on the main stats, I'll only change the range
Also Im trying to make the AI build naval

Update! (recheck the link on the first post)
Just a little update :p
  • Fixed the Giant Turtle
  • The first hall you make will automatically have a 75% construction progress

Its not necessary to redownload again because I just change minor things.

Last edited:
Level 7
it's don't work for me. And i have 1.24, 1.23 and 1.22 version too. But you realy f.cked up me, so why don't you answer? Why do you do this? I want to know.

Level 4
it's don't work for me. And i have 1.24, 1.23 and 1.22 version too. But you realy f.cked up me, so why don't you answer? Why do you do this? I want to know.
Whoa, easy there. He wasn't trying to f.ck anyone up. This isn't the first time this problem happened. It also happened to his WC1 map. Don't why it happens though.

"I think he messed up protecting the map."
^This

Level 10
The solution is to grow some self esteem, stop worrying about people judging your coding style, and just spreading around the unprotected map.
So what if someone rips it off, everyone will know who the true original author was.

Level 16
Weird. I can play all of the updated maps, including the one on the above link.

Oh Supertoinkz, starting the town hall with 75% construction progress is good, but there's a bad downside to this - the peasant still continue to hammer at the building even when it reaches 1200/1200 hit points for about >10 seconds. Fix pl0x!

Level 10
Bugs:

- Remove Call to Arms from the town hall.
- Game randomly gave me victory about 3 or 4 minutes in.
- Disable peasants being able to speed up building constructions. (That wasn't an option in WC2 was it? I forget)
- Build advanced structures buttons a bit weird. Is it acting as a spell?
- Ranger upgrades don't require Keep like they should
- The oil tankers should build platforms like peons, not like peasants.
- The oil tankers award 100 gold per trip, heh.
- Why does the gnomish submarine have truesight? I don't recall any stealthing units in WC2?

Suggestions:

- Change the oil leaderboard to a multiboard. Show only the icon and value, no header or player name, and show each players multiboard only to that player.
- Scale down all the tree doodads and place heaps more in the bases, make them award less lumber. In WC2 the peasants tear through a lot more trees than they do in WC3.
- Speed up the peasants building animation, most units should move faster. Remember that WC2 is more fast paced than WC3, try and emulate that by making all the units and buildings work and animate faster.
- Shipyards are very dificult to place. I suggest putting a short strip of shallow water around the islands (use view naval/ground pathing) and make the shipyard buildable only on both sea-pathable and ground-pathable.

What the hell is with the ridiculously long tooltips?
And boy, that map sure is laggy!
Whats with the oil patches? They look like theyre sitting on islands, but I can swim over them. Theyre also WAY too big :p

Anyway. Its a really good map. I see you've put a lot of effort into it so far. You should seriously consider building off it by recreating the WC2 campaigns!
Remember: Theres nothing wrong with exporting a sound file from another Blizzard game and importing it into a WC3 map. I asked blizzard PR :p

Last edited:
I'm happy it works now :)
Gotta update it asap

Bugs:
-I'll fix it
-I'm sure you have no enemies right? After 160 seconds, the melee victory will be activated
-What do you mean? Do you mean the start where you build your first town hall?

Suggestions:
-Its a multiboard. And I'm finding someone good at triggering who can make the multiboard show uniquely on every player.
-Huh?
-I wont.

About the tooltips, I'll imrpove it D:

Level 10
-I'm sure you have no enemies right? After 160 seconds, the melee victory will be activated
Correct. Do you have a trigger that checks for no buildings after 160 seconds? Remember that in WC2 you had to hunt down every last peon.

-What do you mean? Do you mean the start where you build your first town hall?
While one peasant is building something, you can order other peasants to repair it, to speed up construction. I don't recall that being an option in WC2, but could be wrong.

-Its a multiboard. And I'm finding someone good at triggering who can make the multiboard show uniquely on every player.
I can probably do that. Ill take a look tomorrow.

In WC2, the trees were chopped down in clusters, and it took 2-3 clusters for a peasant to get a full load of wood.

Correct. Do you have a trigger that checks for no buildings after 160 seconds? Remember that in WC2 you had to hunt down every last peon
No.
While one peasant is building something, you can order other peasants to repair it, to speed up construction. I don't recall that being an option in WC2, but could be wrong.
Well, in wc2, the Humans and Orcs can powerbuild, but in this map, only human can powerbuild. Why? Because the AI will screw up and don't attack.
I can probably do that. Ill take a look tomorrow.
Thank you.
In WC2, the trees were chopped down in clusters, and it took 2-3 clusters for a peasant to get a full load of wood.
In wc2, one tree is equivalent to one cluster of tree (this clusters have 2-3 trees). A worker must have to chop the wood 51 times to get 100 lumber. After those 51 chops, the wood will fall off.
In this map, the trees have 200 hp (because of there are few trees) and the worker can get 2 lumber per chop so the worker will need 50 chops to gather 100 lumber.

Level 10
In wc2, one tree is equivalent to one cluster of tree (this clusters have 2-3 trees). A worker must have to chop the wood 51 times to get 100 lumber. After those 51 chops, the wood will fall off.
In this map, the trees have 200 hp (because of there are few trees) and the worker can get 2 lumber per chop so the worker will need 50 chops to gather 100 lumber.
Hmm. Maybe scale down the size of the trees, reduce their life, and therefore add more trees?

Youll need to PM me the unprotected map if you want me to fix that multiboard.

Okay for those you added in your post *18

Ranger upgrades don't require Keep like they should
Hmmm, it works for me, the Ranger Upgrade needs Keep first.
The oil tankers should build platforms like peons, not like peasants.
I already said that the human builders build like peasants and every or builders build like peons because the AI will screw up.
The oil tankers award 100 gold per trip, heh.
I think you mean that the yellow "+100" string that appears right? No, it's how the system works, I create a dummy unit, cast a dummy spell to the tanker, then when the tanker is ordered "harvest" it will subtract 100 to the owner's gold and add 100 to the multiboard. No it won't bug.
Why does the gnomish submarine have truesight? I don't recall any stealthing units in WC2?
Giant Turtles/Gnomish Submarine are perma invisible. As I know, besides towers and air units, they also have true sight.
Shipyards are very dificult to place. I suggest putting a short strip of shallow water around the islands (use view naval/ground pathing) and make the shipyard buildable only on both sea-pathable and ground-pathable.
I might change the terrain of the shores so they are buildable. And, I'll test if ground-pathable and sea+pathable works.
And boy, that map sure is laggy!
Where did you lag?
Anyway. Its a really good map. I see you've put a lot of effort into it so far. You should seriously consider building off it by recreating the WC2 campaigns!
I won't viktor is making one.
- Build advanced structures buttons a bit weird. Is it acting as a spell?
Well, its based on wind walk, and its the only way I can find to make advanced building. If you know any way, please say it to me :)

Level 10
ok

(+): it really feels a bit like Warcraft II
(+): i love how the units are marked :D
(+): it is really fun to play with friends!
(-): the computer AI is just really weak.. i defeated them (1v1) after about 15 minutes and he had no army at all... just some pig farms (it was a Bot [Normal])
attachment.php

(-): it would have felt more like wc2 if there were the original voices (or at least only the peasant)... but i know that would be not legal... (riping)

(-): if you want to attack the pig farms of the orcs you cant right click on them... you have to stop all units.. then they will attack it on their own..
(if you try to mark the pig farm it works fine...)

suggestions: make the AI dont screw up and all will be fine :D

btw: i never had a lumber problem... you need about ~12 workers gathering lumber and all is fine...

+rep for you !

Attachments

• Screenshot.tga
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,147
Level 10
(-): it would have felt more like wc2 if there were the original voices (or at least only the peasant)... but i know that would be not legal... (riping)
Thats not true. I asked Blizzard PR directly, and was told they have no problem with WC3 map makers importing sounds directly from other Blizzard games. They said that allowance only covers sound files and music tracks, and doesn't extend to models.

Okay, I now know why the ai sucked
The multiboard is really screwed up, and I fixed it (the AI can't build their blacksmith because of that)
Do you mean you don't need me to fix up the multiboard then?

Level 10
Thats not true. I asked Blizzard PR directly, and was told they have no problem with WC3 map makers importing sounds directly from other Blizzard games. They said that allowance only covers sound files and music tracks, and doesn't extend to models.

cool i didnt know that.. but since it seems to be not legal in any other game.. i just guessed it would be the same here... i forgot how great blizzard is !

Okay, new version is up :3

• The Oil Multiboard experienced heavy change (thanks to Teelo)
  • Some tweaks on the units

I'm planning to add heroes but I lack ideas for it.
Also report and lag/bugs/glitches/errors/ etc.

It would be better if you lessen the quality through Options>Video if you have slow pc/laptop so that you will avoid major lags.

Attachments

• Wc2opt.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.