• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Wanna help from pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Imma newbie and i want to make a maps of my own . Can someone help me or give tips on starting making maps ? And btw i have 0% knowledge and experiance on making custom maps and my own model or something . Sorry for my bad english and im appreciate any help or tips given by yus guyssssss

Level 24
I would suggest taking it step by step to learn what the world editor is capable of.
Dont go to the next step until you understand how the current step works and what it's possibilities are.

For example, first check out the Terrain Editor, then the Object Editor, then the trigger editor, sound editor, download JNGP 2.0, download custom systems and eventually create maps.

You are way further than the step you should be on.
Try doing things the easy way and move onwards to the bigger pictures.
That has always been the right way to do everything.

Why would you start fresh in WC3 map editing if you haven't worked with the editor before? Start in SC2, it has much less limitations and is the overall better platform for those that want to start new.
WC3 is for guys that are too old to make the switch (or already have too many projects running).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you are just starting to map you might want to give StarCraft II a try before committing to Warcraft III. It is a newer game so has better official support than WC3. It also has all WC3 assets as well as a lot of science fiction assets. Although doing some tasks in SC2 is a lot more work than in WC3, the editor is overall more logical so is easier to master than WC3.

Ultimately learning to make WC3 maps is not an easy task. WC3 has so much illogical behaviour that you have to encounter to learn about.

For the trigger editor it is recommendable to skip GUI (the graphic triggers) and go directly to JASS if you have prior programming experience. If you do use GUI I recommend looking at some open source maps or GUI spells to start. Mess around with such examples changing values to alter the behaviour of the ability or system so you get a feel of what stuff does.

It is recommended to install JNGP (Jass NewGeneration Pack) from the start since that improve the editor in many ways such as allowing the removal of certain limits and giving access to more powerful vJASS pre-processor language that makes scripting in JASS easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.