• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

W3x2Lni v2.7.2

W3x2Lni is a wc3 map management tool. It helps you to manage your maps when developing or publishing.We defined 3 formats for a wc3 map, and w3x2Lni allows you to convert your maps amongst these 3 formats which are `Lni`, `Obj` and `Slk`.

> Lni
`Lni` is a VCS (like git, svn) friendly format. It looks like a directory. Most binary files in w3x will be converted into plain text files (yes! human-readable) by w3x2Lni which will also organize and categorize these text files.

> Obj
`Obj` is a wc3-readable and WE-readable format. If you want to open your map with WE, convert your map into this format.

> Slk
`Slk` is only readable by wc3 and should be used for final distribution. W3x2Lni enables multiple optimization for this format, including:

* Objects converted to slk
* Removed unreferenced objects
* Removed WE-only files
* Inlined WTS strings
* Compressed mdx
* Removed comments and unncessary white spaces in the script
* obfuscated variable and function name

W3x2Lni comes with war3 1.27.1 English data files. But it may not meet everyone's needs, you can use `w2l mpq <war3_path>` to extract data files.

For more information see the documentation.

W3x2Lni is a open source project.We welcome any pull request, e.g. improving the English text or writing English documents.
Contents

W3x2Lni v2.7.2 (Binary)

Reviews
eejin
The tool works as one would expect. The UI is nice and to the point. Only thing I am missing is a back button wen you have chosen a conversion mode. You also cannot scroll horizontally when viewing the log when converting to Lni. I am looking...
Level 4
Well, even when I dont check any optimization on slk, map crashes on load when trying it.
We will fix it in next version. For now, you could change or delete the problematic ids (maybe by Lni) to avoid crashes. Problematic ids are `.A0O`, `.B02`, `.e06`, and `.n02`. As you see, the first char of them is `.`.

Level 16
We will fix it in next version. For now, you could change or delete the problematic ids (maybe by Lni) to avoid crashes. Problematic ids are `.A0O`, `.B02`, `.e06`, and `.n02`. As you see, the first char of them is `.`.
Oh, that actually makes more sense, than what I've thought and suggested, sorry for assuming wrong. It would be real nice to support any types of ids, although I don't think IDs like this are good, but to each his own. Thank you for paying attention! :)

Level 4
Well, if you fill the map from 0 with files, they are added to (listfile), but the tool still thinks that some of them are missing, even though they are not, my mistake. I thought it was actually missing them, turns out it thinks it does, but it does not.

Meaning it does all it has, which is amazing. Actually, i should post a screenshot:

View attachment 299826
Version 2.4.0 has released. It has fixed your problem.

Level 4
when i convert to obj, i get weird error messages about abilities.
==========================
Invalid object data (7)
==========================
Ability ANdo - [datad]: [1]: 5
Ability ANia - [dataa]: [1]: 1.0 [2]: 2.0
Ability ANia - [datab]: [1]: 30.0 [2]: 45.0
Ability ANia - [datac]: [1]: 90.0 [2]: 90.0
Ability ANia - [datad]: [1]: 15.0 [2]: 22.0
Ability ANia - [datae]: [1]: 180.0 [2]: 180.0
Ability ANia - [dataf]: [1]: 0.2 [2]: 0.2
.... ANdo is not even changed. And i have no idea what the fields in ANia are. I don't recognize those values.
Version 2.4.0 has released. It has fixed your problem.

Level 26
Seeing that the Doodads.slk causes problems, another optimization would be to just kick game-non-relevant attributes like name, pathing map, rotation, casts shadow. The static and intangible nature of doodads makes them possess a lot of those. They should not cause a spike ingame either, as each of them is placed at map init. If you are funny, you could even try to simulate doodads with some other wc3 entity.

Last edited:
Level 6
Seeing that the Doodads.slk causes problems, another optimization would be to just kick game-non-relevant attributes like name, pathing map, rotation, casts shadow. The static and intangible nature of doodads makes them possess a lot of those. They should not cause a spike ingame either, as each of them is placed at map init. If you are funny, you could even try to simulate doodads with some other wc3 entity.

The attributes that are not needed in the game have been deleted in slk mode. If you find out what w2l is missing, please let me know.

Level 26
The attributes that are not needed in the game have been deleted in slk mode. If you find out what w2l is missing, please let me know.

I haven't been using the tool yet, it's not listed in the description above. What would also be a practical idea would be the conversion of pathing blockers to raw terrain pathing because a lot of people have them unnecessarily as the default destructables although that's more a mistake on their part. Also resources like textures, models, sounds could be preloaded.

Level 6
I haven't been using the tool yet, it's not listed in the description above. What would also be a practical idea would be the conversion of pathing blockers to raw terrain pathing because a lot of people have them unnecessarily as the default destructables although that's more a mistake on their part. Also resources like textures, models, sounds could be preloaded.

It seems that this is not a lossless conversion, and I don't think there will be much improvement in this optimization.

Level 26
It seems that this is not a lossless conversion, and I don't think there will be much improvement in this optimization.

Of course, it's not. But then again we try to guess what the user might want. Default blockers show up in destructable enumerations, you may kill them by accident, they do not count as terrain pathing and take resources needlessly. Basically, the only reason to have them as destructables is if you want to delete them ingame/spawn more, which could however also be achieved by code.

Tried your tool for a bit. It ships with (chinese) default data, which ended up in the map I converted. Are you supposed to replace the data folder with your desired version? For consecutive cells in SLKs it's not necessary to state the new coordinates, the cursor jumps by one after every cell data record. I cannot confirm that unnecessary object attributes would be removed, the dood slk output still contained fields like "defScale", "Name" or the minimap indicator configs. Some of your files/paths are strangely in lowercase.

edit: The w2l.exe is the command line variant. The names are confusing to be frank. You can read the wc3 path in Windows from the Registry by default, the libs for it are already contained.

Last edited:
Level 4
Of course, it's not. But then again we try to guess what the user might want. Default blockers show up in destructable enumerations, you may kill them by accident, they do not count as terrain pathing and take resources needlessly. Basically, the only reason to have them as destructables is if you want to delete them ingame/spawn more, which could however also be achieved by code.
I think that in Slk mode, side effects should be avoided as far as possible.

Tried your tool for a bit. It ships with (chinese) default data, which ended up in the map I converted.
It's our mistake, we will replace it to English version later.

For consecutive cells in SLKs it's not necessary to state the new coordinates, the cursor jumps by one after every cell data record. I cannot confirm that unnecessary object attributes would be removed, the dood slk output still contained fields like "defScale", "Name" or the minimap indicator configs.
Thank you, I will see.

Some of your files/paths are strangely in lowercase.
The paths case should be keep as much as possible, please provide more detailed information.

You can read the wc3 path in Windows from the Registry by default, the libs for it are already contained.
It seems a good idea.

Level 26
It depends on two values in w3i.

sumneko/w3x2lni

So the standard files under Units\ and suchlike are not selected in either case? Although I think it will fall back on those if some file is missing. I have seen "NotUsed" slks. Also how is the V0, V1, ... extension chosen?

edit: Your jass optimization tries to obfuscate the identifiers. I have applied it to a map which already did something like that. The identifiers clashed (in my case I observed a variable and a function having the same name). The map could not start.

Last edited:
Level 6
So the standard files under Units\ and suchlike are not selected in either case? Although I think it will fall back on those if some file is missing. I have seen "NotUsed" slks. Also how is the V0, V1, ... extension chosen?

V0 means ROC, and V1 means TFT. Custom means custom maps, using the lowest version data such as TFT is 1.17, Melee means the battle map, using the highest version of the data. Also obvious is that the data in the root directory is MeleeV1, so you can only see three directories, CustomV0, CustomV1, and MeleeV0. W2l does not support ROC, so only the root directory and CustomV1 are required.

edit: Your jass optimization tries to obfuscate the identifiers. I have applied it to a map which already did something like that. The identifiers clashed (in my case I observed a variable and a function having the same name). The map could not start.

Function name is also an identifier.

Level 4
If you find any bug with jass optimization, please show me your war3map.j, thank you!

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
The tool works as one would expect. The UI is nice and to the point. Only thing I am missing is a back button wen you have chosen a conversion mode.

You also cannot scroll horizontally when viewing the log when converting to Lni.
upload_2018-8-14_22-23-43.png

I am looking forward to your future work!

Level 3
slk2obj has a bug.some map which use widgetizer they change the "placeable in editor" to false.silk object does convert it to true but your tool doesnt

Level 6
The tool works as one would expect. The UI is nice and to the point. Only thing I am missing is a back button wen you have chosen a conversion mode.

You also cannot scroll horizontally when viewing the log when converting to Lni.

I am looking forward to your future work!

You are right, the Log GUI is not complete. Currently you can open the log file to view it.

Level 3
Ill send u two example map
One does has objects appeaered in tool pallete ( the no bug map )
One doesnt ( your tool created map )

Attachments

• hasbug(your tool).w3x
    7.1 MB · Views: 103
  • nobug(silk object dewidgetizer).w3x
    5.6 MB · Views: 134
Level 6
Ill send u two example map
One does has objects appeaered in tool pallete ( the no bug map )
One doesnt ( your tool created map )

W2l is not a slk decryption tool, it does not and does not intend to provide inverse operations for other slk tools. For slk to obj, w2l will respect any data on the intput map without any modifications. So the intput map has any wrong data, missing data, w2l will also make the output map the same.

If w2l does not respect the input map data, please let me know. Similarly, w2l does not do things that do not respect the input map data.

Level 3
I've tried with my map,the protector removed "placeable in editor".I dont mean this is a map deprotector but some map which the author lost their original data,may want that fix.

Level 1
This tool is like a dream come true! But unfortunately, I ran into an issue when converting the LNI folder back to OBJ.

The converter throws out a single error "Save WTG failed - bad argument #1 to 'pack' (number expected, got nil)". Then, the resulting .w3x file has no more triggers.

This happens with any source map containing triggers, even the default new map. I'm using version 2.4.3, and wc3 1.30. Any ideas?

Level 4
This tool is like a dream come true! But unfortunately, I ran into an issue when converting the LNI folder back to OBJ.

The converter throws out a single error "Save WTG failed - bad argument #1 to 'pack' (number expected, got nil)". Then, the resulting .w3x file has no more triggers.

This happens with any source map containing triggers, even the default new map. I'm using version 2.4.3, and wc3 1.30. Any ideas?

Im sorry this tool did not test in WC3 1.30. Would you please show me your map, and I will try to fix it.

Level 12

I'm having the same issue on patch 1.29.2 :S

Level 1
Alright, I've tested the bug a bit more, and attached all the steps and results in a zip file.
The bug is a little more complicated - triggers are still there at first in OBJ, but any change in WE will overwrite them.

I'll try to be clear - here are the reproduction steps:
  1. Created a map "singletriggermap.w3x", where there is a single trigger that shows some text at start.
  2. Converted to LNI.
  3. Converted LNI back to OBJ. This is where the tool outputs error message "Save WTG failed - bad argument #1 to 'pack' (number expected, got nil)". If you open this OBJ in wc3, triggers still work. However, if you open it in World Editor, you won't see any triggers in Trigger Editor - editor just doesn't know about them. If you don't make any changes and click "test map" in Editor, triggers will still work in wc3.
  4. Now with this OBJ opened in World Editor, make a single change, any change (like create a new unit type, place a tree...), then save the map again. This new map has now lost all the triggers, even if you test it in wc3.
Zip file contents:
  • "singletriggermap_original.w3x" ... step 1. the original map made in WE
  • folder "singletriggermap" ... step 2. your LNI folder
  • "singletriggermap_2lni_2obj.w3x" ... step 3. map created from LNI folder back to OBJ
  • "singletriggermap_2lni_2obj_thenchanged.w3x" ... step 4. the previous map, changed in WE and saved again

Attachments

• singletriggermap bug.zip
    63.8 KB · Views: 109
Level 4

I'm having the same issue on patch 1.29.2 :S

Im sorry this Bug has been 3 months. Because it only appears in the English version, I never found it.