• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

W00T! I have conquered my Xbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Even as I write this, Xebian Linux is being installed from my LiveCD and ionto my Xbox. It rocks. Of course the Xbox isn't built for extremeness (700 MHZ proc and 64 MB RAM), yes my graphics card has that much. But regardless, it can still do all kinds of regular tasks, such as web browsing, email checking, multimedia capabilities abound, and that's why i'm using it. For fun. To see what I can do. I modchipped my Xbox years ago, back whe the XboxLinux project haden't even begun yet. It was pretty conquered after that, but this pushes the limits of my Black Box even further. Since Linux uses up very little space, and I have a 110 GB hard drive in there, I'm thinking about also installing Gentoo on there as well, because my Modchip software (EvoX) has special support for it. Using the thumb-stick as a mouse is enjoyable and fun, I find it very, very easy to use, but the only problem is typing. It is not that hard to reverse engineer a keyboard to work with an xbox (there are adapters out there, since even the original xbox control uses USB technology, the 360 even uses USB ports), so I intend to do that soon as well. For those of you wondering, Xebian is a modified version of the Debian Linux OS. Xebian is also known as Ed's Debian, and it's a very flexible OS. Now to go check on my installation...

Level 36
Haha, screw that. If I screw up, that Xbox is going into the nearest river (the Thames, I live in London, Ontario, remember, everything is identical to England :p) and I'm buying a Wii. Fortunately, it's nearly impossible to screw it up, unlike softmodding or modchipping because it involves either save transferring or soldering, both which can have disasterous results if you don't know what you're doing. I did my reading ahead of time, and now I can browse the net and check my email using Firefox all on my Xbox :) It's a LiveCD though, once you burn the ISO, you can run the whole damned operating system with defaults right off the disk. It's slower, but you don't have to install it on to the harddrive. Because I have EvoX I can create a link to Linux right off my dashboard, so I choose to run from the harddrive because it's faster. There is only really one way you can screw up, and even after that I would still be able to use the Xbox for Linux purposes, I just wouldn't be able to play games xD Okay here's how it works: Xbox divides the Harddrive into Partitions A through F. When installing Linux you have three options: You can install it on E:\ with the Games so that you can run Linux and still play games you can 2) Reformat F partition, lose all of your games, among other things, and install Linux there or you can 3) Use the remaining unpartitioned space to create a new Partition for Linux (this is riksy because it could overwrite F:\, the last partition if it ran out of space). So the worst that can happen is that you end up overwritting your games and data so that only Linux works. Not like my whole Xbox flares up and flames shoot out of the DVd Drive :p

Level 36
No, I have isntalled the Linux OS onto my Xbox harddrive. I am running Xebian Linux (Ed's Debian for you Linux people) on my Xbox, along with EvoX that works with my modchip. I have burnt a LiveCD, that I can use if I wanted to, because what it does is it runs the entire OS off the CD. This is slower then running it from the harddrive because obviously it has to go through the CD/DVD Driver first. What I have done is: Use the LiveCD to get onto the GUI, run the prompt commands, installed Linux onto the harddrive using Xebians installer, and then continued running it fro the harddrive, no boot disc needed. I can do everything you can with any other version of Linux, whether you're running it on a PC or an Xbox.

Level 27
Haha, screw that. If I screw up, that Xbox is going into the nearest river (the Thames, I live in London, Ontario, remember, everything is identical to England :p) and I'm buying a Wii. Fortunately, it's nearly impossible to screw it up, unlike softmodding or modchipping because it involves either save transferring or soldering, both which can have disasterous results if you don't know what you're doing. I did my reading ahead of time, and now I can browse the net and check my email using Firefox all on my Xbox :) It's a LiveCD though, once you burn the ISO, you can run the whole damned operating system with defaults right off the disk. It's slower, but you don't have to install it on to the harddrive. Because I have EvoX I can create a link to Linux right off my dashboard, so I choose to run from the harddrive because it's faster. There is only really one way you can screw up, and even after that I would still be able to use the Xbox for Linux purposes, I just wouldn't be able to play games xD Okay here's how it works: Xbox divides the Harddrive into Partitions A through F. When installing Linux you have three options: You can install it on E:\ with the Games so that you can run Linux and still play games you can 2) Reformat F partition, lose all of your games, among other things, and install Linux there or you can 3) Use the remaining unpartitioned space to create a new Partition for Linux (this is riksy because it could overwrite F:\, the last partition if it ran out of space). So the worst that can happen is that you end up overwritting your games and data so that only Linux works. Not like my whole Xbox flares up and flames shoot out of the DVd Drive :p

Dont smash ppl with wii :p otherwise look in here! ;) whaha

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/ ( nice site :D )

Level 18
Heh, I screwed over my psp's flash core messing with it ^^, so it no longer boots. But all I have to do is buy a mod chip, boot it from the chip's flash core and run some utilities to repair my psp's core and off I go, modding without fear of bricking it again :).

Modding gaming systems is fun fun fun :p!

-*meow*

Status
Not open for further replies.