• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Very simple models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I will (At-least) try to make my first race by modeling in Blender! And by "very simple models" is that the textures are *Really Basic*. I'll upload a picture of how they will look like and ask, should i use them for myself? This is gonna be the first time i'll make some models for WC3 and i think that they won't be THAT great.

But who knows, i am a quick learner.

Aerch Repchi Folk1.png

Level 14
I use Blender sometimes, only to make untextured static meshes. I export from Blender as .FBX and load that file into 3dsMax for the texturing, rigging and animation, and the final export to .mdx.

As far as I know, only 3dsMax or Gmax can be used to produce a .mdx file that works in warcraft 3, using the neodex plugin by @BlinkBoy & others. Blender has no similar plugin.

I don't know, cause I never tried, and I ask other users: can Blender be used to set materials, place UV coordinates, rig a skeleton and animate in a way that is successfully transferrable to 3dsMax (presumably via .FBX)?

My suggestion to the OP is that he makes sure that what he does in Blender can be exported to 3dMax before he works hours for nothing.
I can confirm that static untextured meshes can be ported to 3dsmax, but no more that that.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I use Blender sometimes, only to make untextured static meshes. I export from Blender as .FBX and load that file into 3dsMax for the texturing, rigging and animation, and the final export to .mdx.

As far as I know, only 3dsMax or Gmax can be used to produce a .mdx file that works in warcraft 3, using the neodex plugin by @BlinkBoy & others. Blender has no similar plugin.

I don't know, cause I never tried, and I ask other users: can Blender be used to set materials, place UV coordinates, rig a skeleton and animate in a way that is successfully transferrable to 3dsMax (presumably via .FBX)?

My suggestion to the OP is that he makes sure that what he does in Blender can be exported to 3dMax before he works hours for nothing.
I can confirm that static untextured meshes can be ported to 3dsmax, but no more that that.

Well...

Guess i can just ask someone to make some models of these.

Level 29
Once upon a time there was a Warblender plugin. The creator stopped working on it years ago, it doesn't work on modern versions of Blender, and it never supported many features (like animations) in the first place.
Blender is not the correct tool for Warcraft 3 models.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I would suggest getting started by tinkering with existing standard & custom models in a 3rd party program such as Magos model editor, Mdlvis, and Matrix Eater. Eventually you'll be able to pursue "geomerging", which if you grow proficient in, should be quite useful.

Good luck!

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

Maybe i should try. I actually need to get something done eventually.

But i'm pretty used by the single modeling screen in Blender. Do the other ones work similar?

Level 29
You can actually write any credentials you want in the student fields. This just shows how much they don't care (and rightfully so) about people stealing their software. Now if you were a part of a company, or generally making money off of it, it's a whole different situation.

Level 39
So i can just cheat? Sound logical.

Not really cheating. If they didn't want people doing this, they wouldn't allow it. As GhostWolf says they don't give a rats ass if people "cheat". They only care if it's used for commercial purposes. People like us aren't even their target audience, companies/developers are. So yeah, just write anything you want and download it. They don't care.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I can't install it. It's too slow.

So i'll be getting Milkshape because that functions too right?

Level 39
Personally, I can't stand Milkshape.

It might be a good idea to start out using Matrix Eater or Mdlvis before moving onto the more advanced modeling applications. I don't know how much modeling experience you have, but exporting a model from these programs is generally a pretty complicated procedure. So it might be better for you to start out making some edits to existing models, to get the hang of how WC3 models even work.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

Editing a mdl file in a text editor works too. It doesn't mean it's a good tool for modelling.
You mean like a Half-Life 1 SMD?

Personally, I can't stand Milkshape.

It might be a good idea to start out using Matrix Eater or Mdlvis before moving onto the more advanced modeling applications. I don't know how much modeling experience you have, but exporting a model from these programs is generally a pretty complicated procedure. So it might be better for you to start out making some edits to existing models, to get the hang of how WC3 models even work.
I can modelling really. Okay i'm used by Blender but i can probably figure things out.

Besides i can't get another 3D program that can make WC3 models. (That to say your suggested programs isn't something for me)

Level 39
You mean like a Half-Life 1 SMD?

I think his point was that Milkshape isn't an ideal modeling tool.

I can modelling really. Okay i'm used by Blender but i can probably figure things out.

Besides i can't get another 3D program that can make WC3 models. (That to say your suggested programs isn't something for me)

I'm not questioning your modeling skills. I'm simply pointing out that it might do you good to learn a bit about how Warcraft 3 models work before jumping into making models from scratch. Learning what an event object is, a geoset etc. Now I don't know if you actually have any experience with WC3 modeling, I'm simply going from the fact that you haven't uploaded anything. Do you have any 3D work to show off?

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I'm not questioning your modeling skills. I'm simply pointing out that it might do you good to learn a bit about how Warcraft 3 models work before jumping into making models from scratch. Learning what an event object is, a geoset etc. Now I don't know if you actually have any experience with WC3 modeling, I'm simply going from the fact that you haven't uploaded anything. Do you have any 3D work to show off?
scorch_1_by_ex475-dbgzus8.jpg

Sure it's on blender but it is some prof
And to the rest of what you said.
Okay, i'll use mdlvis. Even if i had the thought of how to deselect selected verts/faces, i wouldn't know this. I didn't know Warcraft 3 models where this advanced.

Level 39
And to the rest of what you said.
Okay, i'll use mdlvis. Even if i had the thought of how to deselect selected verts/faces, i wouldn't know this. I didn't know Warcraft 3 models where this advanced.

Good idea. I've never really worked with Mdlvis, but I get the feeling that Matrix Eater is a bit more user-friendly. Maybe someone else can confirm. What I would suggest is that you try to start out by making some edits to existing models, just to learn what makes a WC3 model tick.

Going by what you showed off, it doesn't seem like you're quite ready to scratch make models yet. Do you know how to rig a mesh for animation for example? This is something that you have to learn when making your own models. When you're ready to advance to making scratch models (and I would really suggest that you get 3Ds Max 2016 up and running, Neodex will be the best thing that ever happened to you) feel free to ask for any advice.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

Good idea. I've never really worked with Mdlvis, but I get the feeling that Matrix Eater is a bit more user-friendly. Maybe someone else can confirm. What I would suggest is that you try to start out by making some edits to existing models, just to learn what makes a WC3 model tick.

Going by what you showed off, it doesn't seem like you're quite ready to scratch make models yet. Do you know how to rig a mesh for animation for example? This is something that you have to learn when making your own models. When you're ready to advance to making scratch models (and I would really suggest that you get 3Ds Max 2016 up and running, Neodex will be the best thing that ever happened to you) feel free to ask for any advice.
I have gotten Matrix Eater. I'll still use Milkshape though.

I'll become one on these users some day.

Don't worry i can get this.

Level 11
I too stopped downloading 3dsmax after 1gb/6gb... I already had milkshake but my free trial I think has expired and I really didn't like the program to begin with.

Guess I'll stick to the holy trinity of wc3 editing programs (magos, mdlvis, matrix eater), and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.