• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Version 2.5 has been Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
January 15, 2008

New Icon
maps_3837_preview.jpg

Against the Darkness 2.5 has been released after over a month of hard work. The update contains 6 new Hero abilities, a new Death Hunter hero, a brand new item interface/classification system, major creep and Hero balancing, and many other small bug fixes! Trust me, you will not want to miss out on this version. Download it by clicking here: Download Against the Darkness Version 2.5.

Note: As much as we've tested 2.5 over a months span, bug escaped the testing phase yet again. The bug is that sometimes (but rarely) the victory/defeat cinematics wouldn't trigger. I fixed it ASAP with Version 2.5a, but it should hardly go noticed since it was (hopefully) a rarely occurring problem.

Last edited:
Level 26
A word of advice: The old preview pic was much better. The picture shrinks to an uninterpretable amount, of which many of my peers aptly call "raping a sleeping chick". This would definitely look better as a loading screen pic.

A sidenote: Though this may be because my team is good at working together, the death knight seemed to have a hard time winning.

Level 12
Is there anyway to reduce the map size at all?
2.5mb very big for an escape map, and its quite difficult to host.

What takes up all the space? I cant really figure it out?
How much filesize does the loadscreen take up?

Level 18
Is there anyway to reduce the map size at all?
2.5mb very big for an escape map, and its quite difficult to host.

What takes up all the space? I cant really figure it out?
How much filesize does the loadscreen take up?

O_O it's not an escape map. It's a very intricate Hunter vs Hunted map. What takes up space are the Burning Fiends, Nether Walkers, and the Vampire bat. I'm hoping that someone can skin me a vampire bat from another unit rather than having to use a huge imported model for it. What takes up the most space, though, are all of the imported icons. In my opinion, and many others they are worth it (once the map is dl'ed that is :razz:)

Either way I (and my friends who host) rarely have any trouble getting a full house, it's all in the name! Try, "New Against the Darkness!!" or "Join! Against the Darkness!" Names like that tend to get more people to join, and then those who drop because of the long wait become obsolete.

Level 18
I assume you must have them all at 100% maximum size then?
Im sure you could easily take off 500+ kb by shrinking resource size.

I save at 85% quality when I do convert any icons, but yes, many are 100% quality. You are correct that I would save room, but normally it's about 3kb per icon so 3x50(guesstimate of how many icons imported) = 150kb, which isn't all that much. I think the models are the big issue unfortunately.

Level 12
For:

Icons - BTN's you can save at 60%, DISBTN 20%.
Skins - Can go down to 40-30%
Models - Try the model shrinker, it can literally reduce size to 30-40%, which is alot!!

Also lastly your preview image what size is it? usually its about 256kb? if you fiddle around in photoshop with color's you can take it down to 60 kb or so easy.

Level 18
For:

Icons - BTN's you can save at 60%, DISBTN 20%.
Skins - Can go down to 40-30%
Models - Try the model shrinker, it can literally reduce size to 30-40%, which is alot!!

Also lastly your preview image what size is it? usually its about 256kb? if you fiddle around in photoshop with color's you can take it down to 60 kb or so easy.

Thanks! and yeah the preview is 192kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.