• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unselectable Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
There are two ways to do this.

By editing the model and removing all the trackables on it. (I think, anyway. If I remember correctly, there's a sphere on units that determines where on the model it can be selected...)

Or by adding the Locust ability to the unit, but that at the same time makes it invulnerable and makes them do their own thing unless specifically ordered via trigger.

There are two ways to do this.

By editing the model and removing all the trackables on it. (I think, anyway. If I remember correctly, there's a sphere on units that determines where on the model it can be selected...)

Or by adding the Locust ability to the unit, but that at the same time makes it invulnerable and makes them do their own thing unless specifically ordered via trigger.

That's called collision sphere; trackables are in-game functions that allow you to detect mouse movement and/or clicks.

Locust ability is your optimal solution; however, as aple said, it makes the unit invulnerable. At the same time, you need to manually add the unit in a unit group, in case you deal with massive units with Locust. Otherwise, most Unit Group enumerations do not detect them (e.g. pick units within range).

Level 16
For Unit buildings I always did what the Starcraft Staredit taught way back when, convert them to doodad form. I think the very first mission in Warcraft 3, where thrall wakes up from his nightmare/vision. His barracks is a building and then is a doodad.

As for playable units such as footmen, I do recommend:
Here's the trick:
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Locust to (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Remove Locust from (Triggering unit)
This will make a unit unselectable but not invulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.