• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Unit Use Runes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys!

I searched the forums before posting, but the closest thing I could find was this link:
Runes - Automatic use?

which was not helpful :p

Essentially, I am trying to have a non hero unit activate a rune. Looking at the stats of runes in the editor, it will automatically be used upon being acquired, which means the issue is not that non heroes cannot "use" runes, but that they cannot "acquire" them. So the issue seems to be with the units themselves, and not the runes. But in the editor, the only thing i could think of was giving them unit inventory (like the backpack upgrade) but they still cannot acquire runes. Would be curious if there is a fix for this. If there is not, its no problem, just wanted to ask :)

Thanks for your time!

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
A unit needs to have an inventory ability that can use items in order to pick up items, that are automatically used when picked up (tomes and runes for example).
The hero inventory ability can use items, whereas the backpack item ability cannot. You can change it in the editor.
Be aware, that giving units an inventory that can use items can have bad consequences. They will also be able to benefit from normal items (e.g. claws of attack) and the game will crash, if they pick up tomes of xp or tomes that increase hero attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.