• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uncharted Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitabatake & Aeroblyctos presents:
Uncharted Empires

General:

Uncharted Empires is an RTS map that includes exceptional new features such as unit training system and dynamic trading system. This huge RTS game can be played with up to twelve players. Each game is different and many epic fights surely be fought in the beautiful landscape.

Map Features:
  • A lot of custom models
    15 of these models haven't been uploaded anywhere

Below: A screenshot with some custom models
    124756-albums1564-picture13195.jpg

• Dynamic Trading System that responds to player actions
    124756-albums1564-picture13189.jpg

Trading System
    The players can buy, sell and offer resources for a price that changes in real time according to the transactions.

When a player buys resources, he will pay full market price and the market price for that resource starts to rise.
    When a player sells resources, he will receive half market price and the price for that resource will start to sink.
    The players can also offer resources for full market price, but they will only receive the payment once some other player buys the resource from the market.
  • A unique unit training and spawn system.

Unit Spawn system
    The players' primary Town Center will periodically spawn villagers for the player. The time taken to create the villager increases with the amount of houses the player has and decreases with the amount of units the player has.

This means that when a player doesn't have many units, he will spawn villagers very quickly, but players with large population will spawn villagers very slowly.

The players can see how fast their villagers spawn from their multiboard:

124756-albums1564-picture13192.jpg

Unit Training system
    All military units must be trained from the basic villagers.
    This is done by selecting the preferred unit type from the unit training building (such as barracks) and then ordering one or more villagers to move to that building.
    The building will then train the villager to the selected unit type if the player can afford the training.

124756-albums1564-picture13191.jpg

• Income Systems

Income Systems
    The players can build and upgrade multiple structures that will give income.
    Houses will give gold income, farms food income, stone mines stone income and lumber camps lumber income.

The income given by the building depends on it's upgrade level, it's surroundings (lumber income increases by surrounding trees, stone income by surrounding stones) and the amount of workers within the building.

For example a stone mine will not produce anything if there are no stones around it, but a lumber camp will produce massive income if it has plenty of trees close to it.
    124756-albums1564-picture13194.jpg

Above: 7 tiers of houses
    Below: Farm
    124756-albums1564-picture13193.jpg

House - Gold income based on the level of the house
    Farm - Food income based on amount of workers
    Lumber Mill - Lumber income based on amount of workers & amount of trees nearby
    Mining Camp - Stone and/or Gold income based on amount of workers and stone/gold mines nearby

All incomes can also be increased with certain researches
  • Multiboard that tells you all you need to know about your empire

124756-albums1564-picture13190.jpg

The multiboard of version 0.16
  • Fire system that causes wooden buildings to catch and spread fire
    124756-albums1564-picture13196.jpg

When a wooden building has it's hp under 60% it will slowly start taking damage. As it's hitpoints sink, it will start taking more damage and also causing damage to units/buildings around it.
    In order to save the building from the periodic fire damage, it must be repaired to have more than 60% hp.

Stone buildings are nearly invulnerable to fire.
  • Beautiful Terrain

Terrain version 0.03

58947d1246102335-uncharted-empires-map3.jpg

58855d1246039712-uncharted-empires-map2.jpg

58370d1245576242-uncharted-empires-ue1.jpg

Project Status: ON HOLD

To Do List

• Terrain ~47%
  • Some sort of alliance system ~95%
  • Custom UI
  • More custom models
    • Stables ~60%
    • Barracks ~50%
    • Archery Range ~60%
  • Victory & Defeat triggers 70%
  • A simple camera system
(The current version of the map is: 0.38)

Ideas, suggestions and positive feedback is always welcome.

This post will be updated periodically with new info.
(Latest edit: Project on hold)

Last edited:
Level 15
Interesting. reminds me of caesar 3 a bit.

u can adds a 'final stage' of house development, turning it into a something rich. there won't be any 'workers' in such houses (so no resource income), but there will be smth lke 'nobles', who will pay much larger taxes. Also, such prosperous houses will be built of stone and be immune/resistant to fire spreading

weather effects/cataclysms/other misc events pehaps?

maybe add mercenaries? they won't require villagers to build, but will increase population

i suppose there will be researches. then, u can make smth like discoveries, when u have a low chance to make a rare research. like you research Steel Weapons, and then you have a 5% chance to Discover Forged Steel Weapons, which provide more damage.

Same can apply for units, leading to the appearance of 'rare' units. that'll increase replayability.

Interesting. reminds me of caesar 3 a bit.

u can adds a 'final stage' of house development, turning it into a something rich. there won't be any 'workers' in such houses (so no resource income), but there will be smth lke 'nobles', who will pay much larger taxes. Also, such prosperous houses will be built of stone and be immune/resistant to fire spreading

weather effects/cataclysms/other misc events pehaps?

maybe add mercenaries? they won't require villagers to build, but will increase population

i suppose there will be researches. then, u can make smth like discoveries, when u have a low chance to make a rare research. like you research Steel Weapons, and then you have a 5% chance to Discover Forged Steel Weapons, which provide more damage.

Same can apply for units, leading to the appearance of 'rare' units. that'll increase replayability.
Hmm nice suggestions, I'll keep them in mind during map development.
+rep

Also, main post updated with a "To Do" list

Level 9
Nice, I like the idea and systems and stuff... Can't wait to play it.
Good luck with it, and I hope you and Aero finish it before you go to the army.

Level 37
Okay, hi everyone.

As you see I'm a big part of this map also. We have been making this map actually last few months. One thing Kitabatake didn't mention is that this is some kind sequel of TNW. This means that we really have a lot of experience about making an RTS game.

Compared to TNW, we are now making tech trees a lot more simple and balanced. Also here will not be ships at least for the first few versions. To the questions...

Goldendemon said:
that looks nice, how big is the map? (xx²)
255x255.

Goldendemon said:
and whats about the terrain do you do it on your own?
Right now Kitabatake's sitting beside me making a tower model while I'm making the terrain of the map. I started yesterday and it's going well. Still doing tilesets though.

Level 9
Awesome towers, Kita!
Btw, as far as I know Aero is doing the terrain, and the terrain is like 35-45% of the enitire thing xD

Awesome towers, Kita!
Btw, as far as I know Aero is doing the terrain, and the terrain is like 35-45% of the enitire thing xD
Yeah he is doing a great job with the terrain, but at the time of my last post it was barely started :p
This map is really really imba x)

Good luck and please finish it soon
We are trying to finish it within a month, but we'll see...

Level 8
This map looks really cool and everything.

I will post my favorite smiley to encourage you guys in your endeavors: :ned:

Level 37
gogo we wanna see more screens^^
Ok, here. The terrain in it's current stage: no doodads, just the tileset. Kitabatake do the mountains and I do the rest. He have been quite a slow lately, playing his "Stronghold 2" game.

I also attached the plan of the terrain. First one was refected by Kitabatake and then I made the second one which Kitabatake approved. I made both with paint.

Attachments

• UE1.JPG
    UE1.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 123123123.JPG
    123123123.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 112
Level 6
im a big fan of your trade system. im definitely gonna try this map when you're done with it.

Ok, here. The terrain in it's current stage: no doodads, just the tileset. Kitabatake do the mountains and I do the rest. He have been quite a slow lately, playing his "Stronghold 2" game.
It is Stronghold Crusader, not Stronghold 2.
Also, the systems and models have a much higher priority than the terrain at the moment.

Anyway, massive progress with resource and income systems.

The resource buildings are now capable of detecting trees/stone mines nearby and giving income according to their amount.
Furthermore, the income system now supports percentual upgrades that affect the total resource income of a certain resource.

Level 37
Okay, today I have been making once again the terrain. Now because the tile set is fine enough I started to add doodads. Here's an incomplete example of one the starting point. There are 30 different starting points where players will be chosen randomly.

The terrain is flat in the middle because there player actually builds his base. What do you think?

EDIT: The terrain and advances will go like this:

Islands And Beaches

+ Easier to build well defended bases because other players aren't that close.
+ Some unhabitet islands that have gold(can only be travelled with transport ships).
- Low amount of trees.
- With transport ships it is easy to attack island bases.
=> Best for players that like to build a big city or just don't want to fight.

Deeper Island
+ A lot of wood.
- Other players are close.
- Eventually you must expand somewhere where is a lot of wood.
=> Good for rushers(like I am). Also allying nearby player doesn't hurt, but they can always backstab you.

Mountains
+ A lot of stone.
+ A lot of gold.
- Low amount of trees.
- Other players are very near and the mountains are in the middle of the map.
- Eventually you must expand somewhere where is a lot of wood.
=> Good for rushers(like I am). Also allying nearby player doesn't hurt, but they can always backstab you.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Pic3.JPG
    Pic3.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The spawn and training system remind me of Battle realms so does the building fire system.
Populous The Beginning and Battle Realms were the games that inspired the training & spawn system.
It's good that you use your self made models they're nice.
I'm too used to wc3 blizz model it get boring.

In the screenshot I see lot of castle walls and stuff.Those are buildable or preset doodads?
They are fully animated structure models that the players can build to defend themselves.

Level 37
pomelito123 said:
uhhh....... when do it will be first released
In a week or two we'll start to host this game on Northrend. Want to join and test with both of us?

Lmao.Me said:
I hope there's SP to test/train.
What?

~Void~ said:
This looks great; have a blue gem.
dragoonzombiecry.gif

And I have also attached the newest picture of the terrain. Still incomplete.

Attachments

• map2.JPG
    map2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 236
Level 37
I dont B.net...
Well, we can sometimes upload the newest version to here then. But the first versions will be very buggy and have just few units from the maximum of 32. For example the first version will only have 6 units only from Garrison and Archery Range.

There are totally 8 different places where you can train units; Garrison, Archery Range, Stables, House of Shadows, Shipyard, Temple, Siege Workshop and Balloon Hut.

Level 7
instea dof having fixed start locations you should do it how they did in castle builders, you fly aroundand choose where to start your base, makes for more creative bases.

Anyway i love rts if you need a tester id be happy to help.

Level 37
Hello everyone.

The project is now being paused for unknown time. The terrain for my part was not finished totally and object editor work wasn't completed enough to start hosting the beta stages. Also Kitabatake didn't have time to finish his part also; some important models were not made and some systems wasn't completely done.

We both go now to army and we don't know when we can continue this game. However, because the project is so near to beta stage I'm sure we will continue this project someday. If we will have same time vacation from army we can continue and if not at least in next summer this project is done.

Project paused.

Indeed as Aeroblyctos said, the project is now on hold.

Some of the models are unfinished because for some reason most of the animations made in Magos' model editor will fail to show in game with a 80% chance and I have yet to find out what is causing this...

The gameplay systems are mostly done but they still need some finishing touches before the game is fully playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.