1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Two sided materials

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by UgoUgo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. UgoUgo

UgoUgo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've been wondering this for quite some time now.

What's the difference between the one-sided material and two-sided material other than the two-sided material shows two side of face... obviously.

Say if I use 100 footman, each of them using one-sided material in a map and another hundred using two-sided in another map, will it cause any significant difference in game performance between those two?

I saw that wc3 models never used two-sided materials unless it's necessary... so Im guessing it has quite a role with model efficiency or something.

I'd like to know more about this. Thanks.

2. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It basically doubles the polycount. So yeah, WC3 models use mostly one-sided faces for precisely that reason: to be lighter on the engine. Two-sided materials are only used for when the two sides of a plane will be shown, like transparent or tralslucent surfaces.

3. UgoUgo

UgoUgo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I see. This will certainly clear my doubts.

Another question, does having a lot of geosets in a model affect its efficiency? I know that some model have a lot of geoset due to using a lot of textures.

But let's ignore that first. A model with 10 geosets and another with 2 geoset. Which one is better or both have no difference?

Thanks again.

4. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is called backface culling, it is like so generally because back faces are usually inside the mesh and can't ever be seen hence require no rendering.

Even if you want a double sided material just duplicate the polygon and invert its normals and leave it one sided.
    Backface culling OFF (or double sided) should never really been used ever.

Also, it is not much about the geosets as it is about the material, more materials means more draw-calls. So if each of the geosets has a different material it is going to perform worse than the one with less of them.

5. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why would you prefer duplicating mesh data over disabling face culling? that makes no sense.

6. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Because of a million reasons ?
    Because double sided material still has only one set of normals making the shading on the back side completely-messed up ?
    Because back face culling off on an entire material is a complete waste of performance when you want only a tiny bit of it to be two sided ?
    Because you can apply different materials on different sides.
    Because most modern surface shaders and light calculating shaders don't work well on the back faces ?

[​IMG]

7. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are correct. Odd, I remembered that the driver generated the opposite normals (I didn't think about the other points either, shows the difference between an artist and a programmer, huh?).

8. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    :p yeah, things like that will get scorched into your mind when you spend time making stuff only to find your effort ruined because of how things look in real-time.