• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Aid: Splitting a Material Layer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello to everyone.
I have been seeking an edit of the Harpy skin, but to no avail, so I am taking matters into my own hands. I cannot skin at all, so I have two options: I can C&P from other skins onto the Harpy to achieve the desired effect, OR I can take the Harpy model and split the material layer in two and make it use two diffrent textures. So, what I want to do is:
Take the material layer that covers most of the body, and seperate it into two diffrent material layers; one covering the wings, legs, and hair; the other covering everything else.
This way, I can UV map the model to use any texture I want and still keep the features that make a Harpy a Harpy. There is, however, one problem; there are no tutorials on this, and I have no idea where to start. I would appreciate anyone who can help me to guide me through this, or tell me it's impossible and to not bother. Any help will be rewarded with +rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.