• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Troll Campaign

Level 3
Building transparency is intended to be triggered by Heroes only to avoid the transparency spazzing out as well as locking in the wrong position if two units enter and exit the region at the same time.

I see. But this means that multiple heroes can cause the bug too ? I think I know an easy and effective solution which allows any unit use the buildings without bugs. I can explain it to you on discord if you want.

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced strong lag spikes. The maps so far are riddled with doodads and basically, every asset is custom-made so that might be what's causing the issue. Perhaps another, detail-lite version of some chapters is in order. Again, something I will consider along with difficulty modifiers once I've done the actual release.

Hmm. Actually, I doubt the lag is visuals related. My PC is weak, but I can play even reforged graphics setting maps quite fine. For example when big fight happens, aka many different reforged models are on the screen playing their animations etc, I have stable ~30-40 fps. If I move camera away from the fight to the fog of war, fps become ~100, which makes perfect sense.

When I play troll campaign, if I simply run around, fps is ok. Around ~40-60. 60 is cap in the patch I play it on iirc (1.29). But when big fight starts, fps quickly become less and less, reaching almost freezing state. And moving camera away from the battle to the fog of war doesnt help, at all. Such behaviour usually happens when some really heavy scripts begin to run on the background during the combat. Are you sure this is not the case ? If it is, I am sure its possible to optimize them a bit.

Btw I dont remember if I had the same issue in the chapter 1. Probably not ? I think I should replay it.

Last edited:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I think I know an easy and effective solution which allows any unit use the buildings without bugs. I can explain it to you on discord if you want.

By all means, I would love to hear about this. All my triggering so far has been GUI based, I am learning as I go, and I know for a fact that there is a lot of room for improvement on that front. Feel free to drop me a line in Discord, in a PM here, or just as a reply to this thread.

As for the FPS issue - you've actually given me a lot of insight by describing the problem and when it occurs. In chapter 2 the only consistently triggered abilities are Rendar's. His passives (Mortal Wound and Forged in Battle) apply every time he attacks. The way you describe the issue happening (ramping up as the fight goes on) I can only deduce that Rendar's on-attack abilities gradually leak. Wouldn't be noticeable in a short skirmish, but definitely becoming a problem with a longer engagement.

These abilities are quite experimental for me, as once again, I've done them entirely in GUI. Chances are they're not up to par. In fact, Oriss also has an on-attack ability after I reworked her abilities. So I feel it's very important I get these right. My question to you is whether you levelled up Forged in Battle when playing chapter 2? This might help pinpoint the problem.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Updates. I've uploaded a new version of the campaign in the OP. A lot more back-end work on this one, trigger optimization, and system smoothing. I've also been laying the groundwork for Chapter 3, assets-wise. A lot more on the Aqir to show soon. I've also optimized the campaign screen and added a new intro animation. Check it out:

NewCampScreen.gif

Troll Campaign v1.2b

- Optimized passives:
The Heroes' passive on-hit abilities have had their triggers reworked.
Serpent's Guile, Mortal Wound, and Forged in Battle now run smoother, greatly reducing the memory load on the game, particularly in larger battles. This should greatly improve Chapter 2's overall performance as well as future chapters going forward.

- New transparency system:
The transparency system has been updated. Now any unit entering a house/tent will trigger the transparency, and multiple units entering/exiting will not interfere with each other. Special thanks to @Rayman90 for his work on the passives and transparency optimization.

- Updated campaign screen:
The campaign screen has been optimized, and a new introduction sequence has been added.

- Fixed an issue where Kruppe dying in the first part of his quest causes a defeat screen.

- The campaign's in-game description now has the correct version listed.

Level 48
Got here through a Discord group, didn't realize there's a full-fledged thread! I'll read through the whole thing eventually. For now though, let me just say I'm loving that campaign screen animation! One thing I would personally try and change is to replace the troll rider there with a WoW or Reforged version. Preferably one with a global sequence that has him slowly look to the distance with his hand above his brow.
Anyway, given my affinity for trolls this is obviously one of the most exciting prospects I've seen on the Hive and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. :thumbs_up:

Level 51
Got here through a Discord group, didn't realize there's a full-fledged thread! I'll read through the whole thing eventually. For now though, let me just say I'm loving that campaign screen animation! One thing I would personally try and change is to replace the troll rider there with a WoW or Reforged version. Preferably one with a global sequence that has him slowly look to the distance with his hand above his brow.
Anyway, given my affinity for trolls this is obviously one of the most exciting prospects I've seen on the Hive and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. :thumbs_up:

I strongly dissagree actually. Having the wc3 model there gives it a fresh vibe and serves as a nice glimpse into the campaign instead of having a glorified HD model there.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I actually went through several iterations of the campaign screen. One used an HD model, one used a 2D animation I made out of the vanilla WoW troll artwork. A lot of these versions ended up scrapped because of weird graphical issues more than anything else. Stuff was clipping through, visible when it shouldn't be, and it was much more evident with higher definition assets. So in the end I went back to my first version, added some details, and optimized the animations. I also ended up utilizing the 2D animation idea for the moving plant opening sequence.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
The current idea is to have 5 playable chapters, an opening cinematic and an interlude. This will be considered Act 1 and released as a complete campaign.

The story I have in mind is significantly longer, but in the interest of releasing content I have decided to compartmentalize it into Acts.
This is a really good way to do it.

Level 2
The current idea is to have 5 playable chapters, an opening cinematic and an interlude. This will be considered Act 1 and released as a complete campaign.

The story I have in mind is significantly longer, but in the interest of releasing content I have decided to compartmentalize it into Acts.
If it's the first act. Does that mean there will be a second one? I can't wait to see it.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Been a while, so a few updates:
The Chapter 3 overmap is just about finished terrain and trigger-wise. The travel system for the submaps is now in place.
The submaps themselves are still quite bare-bones at this stage, mostly level design work at the moment with triggering next on the agenda.

To switch things up a bit I've also been working on Chapter 4. Due to its relatively low trigger complexity (it's a purely macro mission) the map is nearly finished. I'll be sharing bits and pieces of it over the next few days. My aim for the next beta release is to have Chapter 3, its submaps, and Chapter 4 all ready to play.

In the meantime I wanted to show you a few of the assets I've developed/re-touched for the Aqir race since that first preview. As Chapters 3 and 4 are the Aqir faction's debut missions I took the time to flesh out the race, its abilities, and effects. Developing a visual cohesion and thematic direction was both fun and challenging:

Also, a couple of doodads/effects from one of the submaps:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Here's the first preview of the level design for Chapter 4.
The map will be divided into two, equally large parts, representing the same setting above and underground (Armies of Exigo style).
A custom minimap UI will show the limits of each part in-game.
Ch4Map.png

The two parts will be connected through tunnels that function like waygates.

Last edited:
Level 19
Here's the first preview of the level design for Chapter 4.
The map will be divided into two, equally large parts, representing the same setting above and underground (Armies of Exigo style).
A custom minimap UI will show the limits of each part in-game.
View attachment 394282
The two parts will be connected through tunnels that function like waygates.
View attachment 394281
I see we had the same idea of aquir attacking from the underground, but damn you execution is near perfect compared to mine.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please do not clutter the thread with queries about individual resources. I'd prefer if you sent me a pm for that kind of thing instead. Model management was an important step in the design phase of the project, but that is mostly taken care of now. And on a side note, I doubt the modmakers you linked to asked permission to edit Explobomb's devilsaur.

Level 8
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please do not clutter the thread with queries about individual resources. I'd prefer if you sent me a pm for that kind of thing instead. Model management was an important step in the design phase of the project, but that is mostly taken care of now. And on a side note, I doubt the modmakers you linked to asked permission to edit Explobomb's devilsaur.
Sorry, I have not asked modmaker 's permission to use this model. I have removed the model's download url. If you need it, you can ask modmaker for it.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Praetor.gif

Here's a preview of one of the Aqir race's heroes. Geometry from Grendel's Nerubian Elder and a ported model from (I think) WoW Shadowlands. Texture from Afronight's Silithid skin overlaid with team color by me. Reworked particles, re-rigged some animations, added death and dissipate sequences.

Other updates:
Chapter 4 is not 100% playable, barring balance tweaks.
Chapter 3 Main map and Submap 1 are 100% complete.
Chapter 3 Submap 2 is steadily getting there.

Level 8
View attachment 402922

Here's a preview of one of the Aqir race's heroes. Geometry from Grendel's Nerubian Elder and a ported model from (I think) WoW Shadowlands. Texture from Afronight's Silithid skin overlaid with team color by me. Reworked particles, re-rigged some animations, added death and dissipate sequences.

Other updates:
Chapter 4 is not 100% playable, barring balance tweaks.
Chapter 3 Main map and Submap 1 are 100% complete.
Chapter 3 Submap 2 is steadily getting there.
In this Troll Campaign, will we be faced with an army of disgusting insects more than octopus humans (faceless one)?

Level 19
In this Troll Campaign, will we be faced with an army of disgusting insects more than octopus humans (faceless one)?
yes, the aquir war, at least from the small sources given to us by wow BFA (one of the very few positives of BFA, they expanded the aquir war lore) explain that the only faceless where the generals (Mythrax and Kith'ix)while the army was comprised entirely of aquir (or mostly, it's still kinda vague about it)
frostwhisper seems to be following the same design phylosophy I had when I tried making a similar campaign, which is to stick as much as possible to the "source".
Also would be kinda weird that the war would be called troll aquir war if you fight faceless all the time :p